Besides "Fire" and "Take me home"...

hecube

Great thread! Trying to find the alternate version of HOTRH from Zep 3. I remember reading that people who were fans of this alternate version played it for Robert, and Robert responded "no way, the recorded Zep 3 version was better". Somehow though, this version here may not be it. If someone knows what I'm talking about and has the proper alternate version, please post, but then again, maybe this is it (it's been awhile since I heard the alternate version).

Anyway, I would relish the alternate version for release. I am in the smaller camp of Zep fans who has always liked HOTRH.

https://www.youtube....e=results_video

Great thread! Trying to find the alternate version of HOTRH from Zep 3. I remember reading that people who were fans of this alternate version played it for Robert, and Robert responded "no way, the recorded Zep 3 version was better". Somehow though, this version here may not be it. If someone knows what I'm talking about and has the proper alternate version, please post, but then again, maybe this is it (it's been awhile since I heard the alternate version).

https://www.youtube....e=results_video

This is a more complete version of what you linked to. I have to say that this is the only HOTRH "outtake" that I know of.

Hello everybody. :)

I have been meaning to come here for a few years and ask if someone could identify the song that they are playing on the The Song Remains the Same DVD disc 2 menu? Please.

I just noticed this thread and thought that it would be the best place to ask.

Thanks.

Mystique?!? Christ, are you a 15 year old & the year is 1975? The band is over. The "mystique" is gone & should be, all the ridiculous myth making. What's left is the substance of the recorded output & now we have the opportunity to be given a history lesson on how these songs came to be. Should an unfinished Mozart piece not be heard? Should an unfinished Van Gogh not be seen? No, those examples have already been made available & not tarnished those artists legacy. If you don't want it, don't buy it. I want a history lesson from Jimmy Page on his bands music & hopefully that's what we are going to get with these releases. Leave the mystique nonsense to stoned rock "journalists" stuck in the 70's & teenagers who don't know any better.

15 Years old? I wish dude! But you are a very angry man, letting a little "mystique" get you all uptight and talking all kinds of wierd like...

With that song fire, on first post. What a cool song, bonham bashing the drums really loud there, on this garage rock sounding recording. The part with page stretching in those sections are interesting, within the intensity and compact vibe of the main song. If this was put on record in the 80 s I could imagine bonhams part at the end being recorded with a power station, Phil Collins sound. But as it is..it doesn't need that, cause ya can hear how hard bonham is playing there. What a neat thing to hear this song.

15 Years old? I wish dude! But you are a very angry man, letting a little "mystique" get you all uptight and talking all kinds of wierd like...

Not angry but annoyed at your constant projections that this release that you know nothing of will be the ruin of Led Zeppelin over the course of three separate threads. Yeah, we all get it, you don't want it to come out, you've said so repeatedy, then don't buy it, live in a fantasy world of "mystique" while myself & it seems everyone else on the forum enjoys a greater understanding of what was the reality of Led Zeppelin in the creative process. You'd rather an urban legend from "Hammer Of The Gods" than the band working on "No Quarter" or "In The Light" then that's your choice, I'll opt for the latter. Enjoy the "mystique".

Mystique?!? Christ, are you a 15 year old & the year is 1975? The band is over. The "mystique" is gone & should be, all the ridiculous myth making. What's left is the substance of the recorded output & now we have the opportunity to be given a history lesson on how these songs came to be. Should an unfinished Mozart piece not be heard? Should an unfinished Van Gogh not be seen? No, those examples have already been made available & not tarnished those artists legacy. If you don't want it, don't buy it. I want a history lesson from Jimmy Page on his bands music & hopefully that's what we are going to get with these releases. Leave the mystique nonsense to stoned rock "journalists" stuck in the 70's & teenagers who don't know any better.

Completely agree with this statement! I would LOVE to hear how the songs were tinkered with and "massaged" before they were publicly released!

Completely agree with this statement! I would LOVE to hear how the songs were tinkered with and "massaged" before they were publicly released!

Exactly. I'm far more interested in hearing how "Kashmir" came to be from "Swan Song" rather than the "mystique" of whether Jimmy Page sleeps in coffin or prefers to sleep hanging upside like a bat. Leave the "mystique" to Stephen Davis & to teenage fantasies of the 70's, let the reality of what Zeppelin really means come to fruition in the unreleased works in progress to compare to the end result. I don't see how a Led Zeppelin fan wouldn't prefer hearing the actual musical creative process to myth.

In the 70's mystique made Zeppelin partly into the legend they were. There were few interviews, no TV and, naturally, no internet. They were somewhat mysterious and in this day of everything, all the time, mystique is a rare thing. Zeppelin still has that mystique. Mainly because, I think, they've done things there own way. The only other artist that I can see that has that mystiqe around them is Dylan.

In regards to all of the alternate takes, unreleased tracks and what not, they have been floating around for years for anyone interested in investigating them. I have been burned by reissues with bonus material. Very few reissues have had anything that did much for me. The Who's Tommy? No, stick to the original. although Who's Next was one of the view that I think was truly worthy. How about The Band's second album? Not much to recommend there or the Yes reissues. They really didn't bring anything new to the table. If Jimmy wants to put this stuff out, I would suggest he also release all of the bonus material on one set by itself so we don't have to rebuy all of the records. I'm happy with the editions I have, all on vinyl, and don't really care to rebuy the music again. I would be interested to hear what he does with them and what he does to get these recording up to snuff.

Bill

Archived