Rolling Stone Special Zeppelin Magazine

The Rover

197221963.JPG

Saw this on newstands today. It's not the regular edition of RS, but a special edition dedicated to LZ.

Some nice pics, in different sizes than I have seen before. And some pics from the 07 reunion.

RS goes to the trouble to list the "40 Greatest LZ Songs".

They start with WLL, but when they list "D'Yer Maker" and have that above "Heartbreaker", then you know that smells.

"The Rover" didn't make their list, and that is not surprising, since it has not been a song played much on Corporate Rock Radio. When corporations speak, I don't listen.... :)

I saw this on the newstand, but looking thru the table of contents it appeared mostly a rehash of previous articles.

In the grand scheme of things, Rolling Stone lagged far behind Creem, NME and Melody Maker when it came to covering Led Zeppelin, so an "archival" Led Zeppelin issue of RS won't have the appeal and quality of a similar archival issue made up of old NME or Creem articles.

In fact, just the brief glance at the newstand told me that this Rolling Stone special issue wouldn't come close to being as good as the recent Ultimate Guide to Led Zeppelin put out by the UK Uncut magazine.

Just look at the different approaches to the covers...RS uses a tired old photo we've all seen a million times while the Uncut special issue used a rarely seen gem from the early days.

Final verdict: I passed on buying the RS issue. Not giving those wankers my money.

I will buy this because it is an issue about LED ZEPPELIN. I don't consider Myself so petty as to not buy this because it is published by Rolling Stone magazine.

I have read almost everything about Led Zeppelin that has been put out in a book format (in English that is). I am sure that whatever is included in this issue (maybe minus some of the 02 pictures), I have already read or seen before. However, since this is an issue dedicated to My Favorite Band, the "Mighty Led Zeppelin", I will gladly buy this.

197221963.JPG

Saw this on newstands today. It's not the regular edition of RS, but a special edition dedicated to LZ.

Some nice pics, in different sizes than I have seen before. And some pics from the 07 reunion.

They start with WLL, but when they list "D'Yer Maker" and have that above "Heartbreaker", then you know that smells.

"The Rover" didn't make their list, and that is not surprising, since it has not been a song played much on Corporate Rock Radio. When corporations speak, I don't listen.... smile.png

Thank you for the news, The Rover.Wow!!!

Roger Berlin

Concur on your opinion of the Rover, The Rover. That is one of the most underrated (and underplayed!) songs in Zeppelin's discography. As for the RS issue....that publication hasn't exactly had the warmest relations with the band historically. I take any list they put together with several grains of salt.

197221963.JPG

"The Rover" didn't make their list, and that is not surprising, since it has not been a song played much on Corporate Rock Radio. When corporations speak, I don't listen.... :)

I had "The Rover" playing on my computer yesterday as I was working on something. One of my all time favs! How could it not at least make their Top 40? "D'Yer Maker" wouldn't make my Top 200. Just saying..Their list must have been based on radio play, I guess, or how else could it be #2?....But then again, Who cares?

The RS special issue about Zep is not a bad issue. RS even pokes fun at themselves with a section titled " Rolling Stone vs. Led Zeppelin".

I'd reccomend this special edition for any new fan of Zeppelin. Not that I agree with everything that RS prints. I did not but the issue, but, I think any fan of Zep that never got to see them back in the day, would find this interesting. I'm just allocating my fun money to Celebration Day right now..... :)

I saw the magazine at Wal-Mart and at Tom Thumb grocery store.

The Special Edition is printed on heavy stock paper.

It's a good testament to how RS has totally accepted Zeppelin now.

Some of the other bands that have received the Collector's Edition are The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Good company to be in. :)

I made the trek to the supermarket in the pouring rain with the sole intention of buying this.

They didn't have it.

Now I'm wet AND disappointed.

First laugh of the day, thanks for that. Terribly sorry you getting wet :(

^^Hello Led Zep Girl!

I am glad you are happy with your copy. For some of us that go back to the beginning of following Led Zeppelin and to read what Rolling Stone had printed about the band brings back a lot of disgust for some of us. So it is a personal decision for me as I can only speak for myself. Enjoy your magazine as I know you are excited to have it :peace:

Cookie0024, sorry you got wet and still did not get a copy. Hopefully you will find one soon. :-)

Hi Rover! I just can't bring myself to spend my money on Rolling Stone. Maybe one day they will put a front page issue stating how off base they were in some of the articles they wrote about the band , so until then I just can't bring myself to purchase a copy. But I hope all that buy it enjoy it ;)

^^Hello Led Zep Girl!

I am glad you are happy with your copy. For some of us that go back to the beginning of following Led Zeppelin and to read what Rolling Stone had printed about the band brings back a lot of disgust for some of us. So it is a personal decision for me as I can only speak for myself. Enjoy your magazine as I know you are excited to have it :peace:

Thanks. I am excited to have it. I now understand what you're talking about. Didn't mean to come off harsh but, it's how I felt in that moment.

I made the trek to the supermarket in the pouring rain with the sole intention of buying this.

They didn't have it.

Now I'm wet AND disappointed.

On the plus side, you've earned valuable points in the "Who's the #1 Led Zeppelin Fan?" contest.

Regarding my earlier take in this thread, it's got nothing to do with being petty or holding a grudge against Rolling Stone. It's about aesthetics, quality, and why buy articles I already have?

I have the original 1975 RS issue with Cameron Crowe's cover story on Zeppelin. I have the Led Zeppelin Is the Heaviest Band of All Time issue. I have the issue with Lenny Kaye's review of Led Zeppelin IV, the first positive review Led Zeppelin received from RS.

The fact is I consider Rolling Stone's coverage of Led Zeppelin bland...as bland and milquetoast as Jann Wenner himself. Other magazines had negative things to say about the band, but at least they did so in an interesting or funny manner. Creem, especially.

Even the long overdue 1975 RS cover proved anti-climactic in a way. It's not a great piece...I've read better from Cameron...and it's not as fun to read as Lisa Robinson's or Jaan Ulheski's tour coverage in Creem.

Even the later RS pieces by Mikal Gilmore and others, where the RS seems to finally acknowledge the band's place in the rock pantheon, come off as damning with faint praise. They still emphasize the trashing of hotels and groupies over the music to a certain extent.

I think it is revealing of RS myopia that Jann Wenner has never interviewed Robert Plant or Jimmy Page, yet whenever RS does an interview with Mick Jagger, Jann Wenner has to come along as if they were interviewing the Pope. Jagger hasn't given an interesting interview in years while Plant has given some far-ranging, interesting, and quirky interviews for the last 20 years or so.

The best current writing on Led Zeppelin is being done by the good folk at Mojo and Uncut, and people like Chuck Klosterman, Pete Delorean, ZosofanCMR, and others here or on blogs.

So, no...I'm not going to put $10 or $12 down for bland writing that I already own in the original format. Oh, and don't be suckered by the "Collectors Edition" tag...they won't be worth the paper they're printed on...too many copies printed for it to be truly 'collectible'.

Now, if someone should ever come out with a new and expanded Creem Led Zeppelin edition, like the one they did in 1980-81, I'll gladly fork over the dough for multiple copies of that!

Somebody...Susan Whitall, Dave Marsh, Lisa Robinson, Dave DiMartino...needs to get on the ball and excavate the fabulous Creem archives for today's generation!

NME and Melody Maker, too!

On the plus side, you've earned valuable points in the "Who's the #1 Led Zeppelin Fan?" contest.

Regarding my earlier take in this thread, it's got nothing to do with being petty or holding a grudge against Rolling Stone. It's about aesthetics, quality, and why buy articles I already have?

I have the original 1975 RS issue with Cameron Crowe's cover story on Zeppelin. I have the Led Zeppelin Is the Heaviest Band of All Time issue. I have the issue with Lenny Kaye's review of Led Zeppelin IV, the first positive review Led Zeppelin received from RS.

The fact is I consider Rolling Stone's coverage of Led Zeppelin bland...as bland and milquetoast as Jann Wenner himself. Other magazines had negative things to say about the band, but at least they did so in an interesting or funny manner. Creem, especially.

Even the long overdue 1975 RS cover proved anti-climactic in a way. It's not a great piece...I've read better from Cameron...and it's not as fun to read as Lisa Robinson's or Jaan Ulheski's tour coverage in Creem.

Even the later RS pieces by Mikal Gilmore and others, where the RS seems to finally acknowledge the band's place in the rock pantheon, come off as damning with faint praise. They still emphasize the trashing of hotels and groupies over the music to a certain extent.

I think it is revealing of RS myopia that Jann Wenner has never interviewed Robert Plant or Jimmy Page, yet whenever RS does an interview with Mick Jagger, Jann Wenner has to come along as if they were interviewing the Pope. Jagger hasn't given an interesting interview in years while Plant has given some far-ranging, interesting, and quirky interviews for the last 20 years or so.

The best current writing on Led Zeppelin is being done by the good folk at Mojo and Uncut, and people like Chuck Klosterman, Pete Delorean, ZosofanCMR, and others here or on blogs.

So, no...I'm not going to put $10 or $12 down for bland writing that I already own in the original format. Oh, and don't be suckered by the "Collectors Edition" tag...they won't be worth the paper they're printed on...too many copies printed for it to be truly 'collectible'.

Now, if someone should ever come out with a new and expanded Creem Led Zeppelin edition, like the one they did in 1980-81, I'll gladly fork over the dough for multiple copies of that!

Somebody...Susan Whitall, Dave Marsh, Lisa Robinson, Dave DiMartino...needs to get on the ball and excavate the fabulous Creem archives for today's generation!

NME and Melody Maker, too!

Correctly Strider, but collect all cover stories.

Roger

Has anyone seen this issue in the UK? I've searched every shop in South East England for it, to no avail

Hi

I have a feeling we will miss out, you can get the usual RS mags at WH Smiths, but I doubt this will be readily available in the UK except perhaps in the London area.

Andy

Archived