If you were introducing a new listener to Robert Plant...

MonkeyOnMyBack

my son is a 16 year old vocalist (classically trained) who has recently gained a lot of appreciation for Robert Plant. As a die-hard Zeppelin fan, I love Robert's voice but also acknowledge its imperfections through the years as well at certain times. What songs over the course of his career would YOU use if you were trying to introduce a new or young listener to the greatness of Robert Plant? I'm not saying this are my favorite Zeppelin songs, just among those that showcase the power, clarity, strength and beauty of his voice. From a live performance perspective, I would choose just about anything from the Royal Albert Hall performance, and in general, like the early rawness and range of his voice before the years took their toll.

Here are some of my picks from a variety of styles:

You Shook Me

Ramble On

Rock and Roll

Going to California

Dancing Days

Non-Zeppelin

Thru' With The Two-Step

Sea of Love

Ship of Fools

Well for a start, Kashmir. Arguably his finest effort on record.

The vocal on the much maligned Hats Off To Roy Harper is interesting especially when he sings in the lower register.

The Immigrant Song.

The Ocean from the remastered TSRTS.

NBFBM.

Whether a singer is classically trained or a natural as with all things musical it's about the feel and passion and not entirely the technicalities.

Good luck to your son.

Well for a start, Kashmir. Arguably his finest effort on record.

The vocal on the much maligned Hats Off To Roy Harper is interesting especially when he sings in the lower register.

The Immigrant Song.

The Ocean from the remastered TSRTS.

NBFBM.

Whether a singer is classically trained or a natural as with all things musical it's about the feel and passion and not entirely the technicalities.

Good luck to your son.

Kashmir is a great performance. I think that is why I loved the 02 Performance of it, Robert was SO strong after such a disappointment (vocally) on No Quarter.

Robert's voice is so unique, anything he sings is a almost a lesson in itself.

Although not a technically perfect singer, I find the cadence in his voice is sheer perfection!

I have seen him recently in concert with TSSS and his voice is better than ever, in my book, and he makes all of todays auto-tune singers look really sad! :D

Some I think show him at his best for different reasons ...

During Zep:

Since I've Been Loving You

Ten Years Gone

In my time of dying

The Rain Song

Going to California

The Battle of Evermore

I'm Gonna Crawl

Tea For One

Kashmir

Post-Zep:

Fixn' to Die (with TSSS)

Spoonful (with TSSS)

All the Kings Horses

Song to the Siren

Darkness, Darkness

Let the Four Winds Blow

Monkey

If it's vocal coaching you want, try Mike Patton!

As for Robert Plant, all of the first Led Zeppelin album - except 'Black Mountain Side' - and then every song from 'Physical Graffiti' except 'Bron-Yr-Aur'

For me, these are the 2 Led Zeppelin albums with Plant displaying a wide range of differing vocal styles, all to brilliant effect. Also interesting to hear how his voice changed from when the first album was made and when 'Physical Graffiti' was recorded

Hi, I think I had a similar experience to your son, I was classically trained for a few years before listening to Led Zeppelin. I wouldn't worry about choosing songs to introduce Robert's voice to anyone, because you're not ever going to leave the rawness apparent in his voice. For what it's worth I think early live versions of How Many More Times are some of his best showings, along with everything listed already. Take your pick of later solo music - what he lost in range he gained in sensitivity and expression.

Zeppelin:

Black Dog

Dazed and Confused

How Many More Times

Kashmir

All My Love

I Can't Quit You Baby (Coda version)

Immigrant Song

Gallows Pole

Post-Zeppelin:

Through With the Two-Step

Ship of Fools