The Genius Of "Coda"

thezepguy

Don't bother ZepGuy...

He's (Strider) hit or miss a lot of the time. Sometimes a really great informer/contributor to the threads...other times he jumps all over the wrong people for hardly any reason (this is a good example) There are some real "returning" Trolls on this site and some "new" one's, but I don't see him going after them.

And so what if you have a Bob Dylan avatar.......Does it really mean you can't like Led Zep, or your here to spoof the forum .........ridiculous comment.

Borderline Wacko

Have fun here brother. Take Care

Speaking words of wisdom...

I wouldnt say it's their finest hour but I enjoy the expanded version especially...probabaly more than ITTOD except for All of my Love and In The Evening. It was worthy of release and I don't think it hurt the band at all I like Pg better than 4 too and am not a troll... 3 and PG have always been my favorites

So just because someone has a different opinion than you, it makes them a troll?

Does that mean, if you think Led Zeppelin IV is the band's best album, but someone else say it's Physical Graffiti, they are automatically a troll also?

No, not at all. If you recall, I said there was a 'chance', not that you definitely were a troll. The timing of your arrival and the content of the first few posts I read from you just struck me funny.

The Led Zeppelin IV analogy isn't quite valid. What I consider Led Zeppelin's best album shifts all the time...Led Zep IV, Physical Graffiti, III, I...it's hard to choose one and I expect it is like that for most Led Zeppelin fans.

But to say Coda is their "finest hour" is like joining a Van Halen site and immediately posting that Van Halen III is their best record.

But hey, if you really like "Coda" that much, kudos to you for sticking to your guns and traveling the road less traveled.

Don't bother ZepGuy...

He's (Strider) hit or miss a lot of the time. Sometimes a really great informer/contributor to the threads...other times he jumps all over the wrong people for hardly any reason (this is a good example) There are some real "returning" Trolls on this site and some "new" one's, but I don't see him going after them.

And so what if you have a Bob Dylan avatar.......Does it really mean you can't like Led Zep, or your here to spoof the forum .........ridiculous comment.

Borderline Wacko

Have fun here brother. Take Care

You seem to be trying to bait me into a fight. I respectfully decline. Go fish somewhere else.

... we now return to the point of this thread "The Genius of CODA"

new post by Dallas Knebs back on topic,

CODA doesn't suck. In considering the input of others on this board I have discovered that I inserted a block between enjoying the LP and myself. Emotionally I never wanted to accept it. It didn't fit my box of what LZ should release.

I listened to side 1 of CODA last night as best I could without the artificial limitations I placed on enjoying it and there's more there than I was allowing myself to enjoy. This time, I didn't expect a typical LZ LP. At the same time, part of what I came away with is a sense of "is this what the unreleased tracks on the new box sets are going to be- a stigma?"

No they are not is my conclusion.

I will greet the box sets with no- as much as is possible for me personally- with no preconceived expectations or context. Going forward I am going to allow myself to enjoy CODA in its own space, no strings attached.

You seem to be trying to bait me into a fight. I respectfully decline. Go fish somewhere else.

Oh, please....I'm not baiting at all brother...that's not my style. I just call it like I see it/ or in this case...read it.

So you don't think your approach to this member was totally unnecessary? If you don't think so, go back and read it again. There are far many more people here deserving of being jumped on for possibly being a troll, than a guy who ask a simple question with a Dylan avatar, don't you think Strider?

....On the other hand...don't bother

Now that Page is re-releasing all the studio albums with outtakes, I'd like to see "Coda" deleted from the catalogue with the tracks from "Coda" going onto the albums that those tracks were recorded in the time period of, "Poor Tom" going on LZ III or "Wearing And Tearing" on ITTOD for example. It's wishful thinking on my part but it makes sense in terms of a proper unity... or at least to me it does. "Coda" simply doesn't work as it really was a contractual obligation that they didn't want to do where PG was intentionally released with outtakes from earlier sessions with then current songs with the full approval of the band.

Now that Page is re-releasing all the studio albums with outtakes, I'd like to see "Coda" deleted from the catalogue with the tracks from "Coda" going onto the albums that those tracks were recorded in the time period of, "Poor Tom" going on LZ III or "Wearing And Tearing" on ITTOD for example. It's wishful thinking on my part but it makes sense in terms of a proper unity... or at least to me it does. "Coda" simply doesn't work as it really was a contractual obligation that they didn't want to do where PG was intentionally released with outtakes from earlier sessions with then current songs with the full approval of the band.

That's a great fuckin' idea Kaiser. Putting all the tracks from Coda on the original albums they were originally recorded for, or during the time frame for. I think ITTOD would especially be a monster album if those 3 tracks were added in, with Wearing and Tearing being the closer.

That's a great fuckin' idea Kaiser. Putting all the tracks from Coda on the original albums they were originally recorded for, or during the time frame for. I think ITTOD would especially be a monster album if those 3 tracks were added in, with Wearing and Tearing being the closer.

Thanks. It just makes sense to me. Sure, they've already been released but to me it makes it somehow complete, like I always wanted "Hey Hey What Can I Do" associated with LZ III on an official release, which I'm fine with sitting right next to the extended "Hats Off To Harper" outtake or "Baby Come On Home" associated with LZ I in an official release next to the organ based "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" outtake. It gives as close to a complete vision as we could know to where the band was coming from at that point. Beyond great music it would be a history lesson.

CODA is a nice album, better than the critics' review at the time for sure! Darlene and Ozone Baby were sloppy

and make the album shy of an "A" rating. Walter's Walk. Poor Tom, and Wearing and Tearing are amongst Zep's best

efforts however- excellent!

Is there anyone else, other than me, who believes that Coda is in fact, Zeppelin's finest hour?

Although it's not a favorite of mine, I do enjoy some of the songs on it. I would never consider it their "finest hour" by any means. For me, that's "Physical Graffiti."

However, it's still Zeppelin, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am curious as to the specific songs on the album you love, and why you feel that way. I very rarely come across anyone who uses the worst "finest" to describe "Coda" and I am curious to your reasons why. That would be some interesting info.

Is there anyone else, other than me, who believes that Coda is in fact, Zeppelin's finest hour?

EVERY Led Zeppelin album is Zeppelin's finest hour. There is no such thing as a bad Zeppelin song. Led Zeppelin was not about a single album or a song, but rather an entire body of work. Perfection from beginning to end.

Archived