The Genius Of "Coda"

thezepguy

Maybe people dont like Carouselambra because Robert was honest abt his feelings about Page and Jonesy...I suppose they had some reason for skipping the funeral but I hope it wasnt booze and smack at least with Page

Of course it was. His selfish need to be doped up at that time. If he had kept himself together, perhaps Zeppelin would not have died the night that Bonham died. What happened to Robert at the funeral was disgusting, his "friends" should have been there...It's not like they didn't have the money...

Great title for a final studio record , Coda. Wearing and Tearing is my favorite track on Coda. I've also always liked WGG and Darlene.

Thanks. It just makes sense to me. Sure, they've already been released but to me it makes it somehow complete, like I always wanted "Hey Hey What Can I Do" associated with LZ III on an official release, which I'm fine with sitting right next to the extended "Hats Off To Harper" outtake or "Baby Come On Home" associated with LZ I in an official release next to the organ based "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" outtake. It gives as close to a complete vision as we could know to where the band was coming from at that point. Beyond great music it would be a history lesson.

Very interesting idea. Makes complete sense to me as well. If I understand you correctly your saying disseminate the songs from Coda as well as HHWCID, BCOH,WS/BMS, TRB as bonus tracks for the album they originally matched up with. Therefore there would be no remastering of Coda as a separate album. As you said it will be deleted, which seems like kind of harsh language regarding Coda but I'm thinking you did not mean it in a negative way only as a clarification of your idea.

Also, as I think someone was also saying earlier in this thread in response to your idea disseminating the songs from Coda to the various albums they match up with will also help strengthen the material from the In Through The Out Door album/time period.

This raises a very interesting question what will Page do with Coda? Are there actually alternate versions of songs that made up Coda to make a box set out of this album, this doesn't seem likely to me. But , if Coda is remastered on its own and there are other previously unreleased songs that will be included in the album remastering project a remastered Coda may be a place to put other the various previously unreleased bonus tracks. Although I think this idea would only further add to the lack of consistency of Coda. I like your idea better.

+ !,111 just to make it one louder..

Now that's genius! :thumbsup: You deserve a beer for that. :beer:

Here's something nobody has pointed out yet...when "Coda" was released, Led Zeppelin was already disbanded. They ceased to exist. So how can "Coda" be the band's finest hour when the band was already gone by then?

^^ Quit trying to force you opinion, who do you think you are!!!

Just kidding. I like Carouselambra because of the time changes and differing sequences, also the lyrics are amazing. My problems with the song are the cheesy early 80's type synths and Robert's vocal buried way down in the mix along with the guitar. There is a bloke on here who remastered the track, bringing up both the vocal and the guitars, believe me if you use the search function to find it you will not be disappointed. This simple change makes this song MASSIVE and if the synths were removed and replaced with layered guitar parts I believe this song would have been on par with Kashmir and Stairway IMO.

Nice observation Sue, Carouselambra does have it's faults.

^^^

Thanks for tipping me off about that, SR. I am one of those who like "Carouselambra" even in its present state, but have always thought the vocals and guitars were too buried in the mix, and thus the song could be improved with better production and mix. Now I will have to search out this improved version.

Here's something nobody has pointed out yet...when "Coda" was released, Led Zeppelin was already disbanded. They ceased to exist. So how can "Coda" be the band's finest hour when the band was already gone by then?

Very true Strider. Good of you to point this out!

at what point has any member of LZ said they disbanded?

I have neither heard that word used nor have I seen it printed as a quote from any of LZ. Pardon me if I have missed it. LZ continue to hold band meetings.

All three of them have said it many times.

The official statement..

"We wish it to be known, that the loss of our dear friend and the deep respect we have for his family, together with the deep sense of undivided harmony felt by ourselves and our manager, have led us to decide that we could not continue as we were."

December 4th 1980.

Didnt they issue a statement the Dec after John Bonham's death saying they could no longer go on as a group and were disbanding...I wanna say it was Dec 4 seems like right b4 we lost John Lennon...ahhh someone found it while I was typing that sorry ...beat me to the punch Yup that's the statement I remember ....happy senior year:(

at what point has any member of LZ said they disbanded?

I have neither heard that word used nor have I seen it printed as a quote from any of LZ. Pardon me if I have missed it. LZ continue to hold band meetings.

I think you'll find they hold business meetings on anything related to Led Zeppelin releases. IMO band meetings wolud've ceased after Grant died and they all had individual managers from then on. The band literally disbanded when Bonzo passed away, as everyone knows. The statement read something along the lines of, Out of respect to Bonham, they felt they could not continue on as Led Zeppelin............

I think you'll find they hold business meetings on anything related to Led Zeppelin releases. IMO band meetings wolud've ceased after Grant died and they all had individual managers from then on. The band literally disbanded when Bonzo passed away, as everyone knows. The statement read something along the lines of, Out of respect to Bonham, they felt they could not continue on as Led Zeppelin............

From what I've heard hear and elsewhere etc,. they generally hold meetings at least once a year. I'm sure more, with an impending release like Celebration Day and the upcoming complete studio catalog box sets.

In every interview and presser on behalf of Celebration Day they and the press introduce and regard themselves as members of Led Zeppelin. N'est pas?

still unable to find a quote or reference to the word disband...

on several occasions I have either heard a member of LZ use the phrase "band meeting" or seen them quoted as saying such. I have personally heard Plant refer to LZ band meetings specifically as it pertained to screening HTWWW.

SuperDave et al... out of deference and respect, I have never heard any of LZ say they broke up or disbanded. I have only heard fans, reporters and others do so. To address the "continue as we were" is an statement that has a holds a space beyond band mates and a band. The former predicate is for their dear friend and his family.

Led Zeppelin is still a viable band. If it means touring, recording and the like... the 3 have chosen no.

Jason Bonham is incredible and was amazing 2007 but they weren't Led Zeppelin anymore after Bonzo died and I am not so sure the 3 were having meetings when Page /Plant were touring/recording...I get tthe impression JPJ didnt hear from them for a while. Also didn't Plant sell at least some of his rights or residuals from Zep in the 80's....I know he gets $ for the cd/video sales but I remember reading he gave up something....maybe merchandising? did I dream that- I am getting old u know...also because they may legally be some kind of unit doesn't mean they are a "band" The Beach Boys at one point i think had one original member and were still called the Beach Boys...shamefully so... they definitely worked as a unit on Celebration day release but the remasters will probably be just Jimmy sending them to the other 2 and seeing if they approve I dont see them sitting around a atable discussing remastering the catalog on a regular basis.

Jason Bonham is incredible and was amazing 2007 but they weren't Led Zeppelin anymore after Bonzo died and I am not so sure the 3 were having meetings when Page /Plant were touring/recording...I get tthe impression JPJ didnt hear from them for a while. Also didn't Plant sell at least some of his rights or residuals from Zep in the 80's....I know he gets $ for the cd/video sales but I remember reading he gave up something....maybe merchandising? did I dream that- I am getting old u know...also because they may legally be some kind of unit doesn't mean they are a "band" The Beach Boys at one point i think had one original member and were still called the Beach Boys...shamefully so... they definitely worked as a unit on Celebration day release but the remasters will probably be just Jimmy sending them to the other 2 and seeing if they approve I dont see them sitting around a atable discussing remastering the catalog on a regular basis.

Well said ksgemini.

defined by function of recording & touring... no LZ are not a band. LZ reached a pause in recording & touring by common definition and comparatives to industry norms. On LZ time we are- the 3 have space to do recording (Celebration Day) and tour (by proxy- cinematic release + distribution = virtual touring).

The 3 have said they could not continue as they were (1980)- the 3 are saying they "are" in both conduct and content (2007 >>>> ).

In keeping with the thread of Genius of Coda it is not a reach to see that 2007 + >>> is a new CODA for the band.

In every interview and presser on behalf of Celebration Day they and the press introduce and regard themselves as members of Led Zeppelin. N'est pas?

If it means touring, recording and the like... the 3 have chosen no.

Wow dallaskneb, Im glad to hear that Zep is back togeather????????????? I, like 6 billion other people thought they disbanded but I guess we are all wrong. I pesonally have never heard any of the members say the word "pudding" much like you have never heard them say diband.

Did you mean to say "the Genus of Coda?"

• A grouping of organisms having common characteristics distinct from those of other such groupings.
  • A class of things that have common characteristics and that can be divided into subordinate kinds.

That's totally hilarious. Well played, Fishhead.

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

Archived