Why no Albert Hall CD release?

GDzep

First, let me apologize for posting something which has no doubt been asked before. I've searched this site quite a bit, and Googled all kinds of variations of this question. Just can't seem to find it anywhere...

Anyway: Does anyone know why there has not been an official audio release of the 1970 Royal Albert Hall concert? (Not to mention Earl's Court, at least a three disc compilation). They obviously have a great sounding recording, on the DVD, why no CD release (as with Celebration Day?)

Thanks "He Who Arises in Might" and RH and DK. I guess there is not really an answer to this - it's just hard to fathom. I'm also a Deadhead, and Deadheads complain that the Dead are "only" releasing 5 or 6 shows a year (not to mention things like the recent 22-show multitrack Europe '72 release). So it's odd to see Zeppelin sitting on the much smaller trove of releasable soundboards in their possession. An Albert Hall or Earl's Court CD release would sell an unholy number of copies... Inscrutable buggers :)

Thanks Sue and Strider, good tips. I'm new to the Zep bootleg thing (aside from ten or twelve CDR shows I have from a long time ago, like Listen to This Eddie, etc). I wasn't up on the Winston Remasters. Wow, a quick search has revealed hours of joy to be downloaded. Thank You.

Thanks "He Who Arises in Might" and RH and DK. I guess there is not really an answer to this - it's just hard to fathom. I'm also a Deadhead, and Deadheads complain that the Dead are "only" releasing 5 or 6 shows a year (not to mention things like the recent 22-show multitrack Europe '72 release). So it's odd to see Zeppelin sitting on the much smaller trove of releasable soundboards in their possession. An Albert Hall or Earl's Court CD release would sell an unholy number of copies... Inscrutable buggers :)

;)

The question is really "what is in their possession?" The multi-tracks from the shows included on DVD and How the West Was Won, but otherwise? It's all guesswork.

or get the Winston Remaster.

He "remastered" the DVD as well?

The tracks on the Winston Remaster are from the Shirley Pre DVD multi-tracks. He added in-between chatter fillers

using Cosmic Energy Video audio, 2ndGen>DAT>CDRx, and EVSD's "Jimmy's Birthday Party" to make it complete as

possible.

The tracks on the Winston Remaster are from the Shirley Pre DVD multi-tracks. He added in-between chatter fillers

using Cosmic Energy Video audio, 2ndGen>DAT>CDRx, and EVSD's "Jimmy's Birthday Party" to make it complete as

possible.

This is the same reason I prefer the "White Summer" release to the BBC Sessions version of the Playhouse. Man those missing bits can make the thing - for example on White Summer, having the little "It's Your Thing" bit just makes that version of Communication Breakdown...

"He "remastered" the DVD as well?"

"The tracks on the Winston Remaster are from the Shirley Pre DVD multi-tracks. He added in-between chatter fillers

possible."

This is the same reason I prefer the "White Summer" release to the BBC Sessions version of the Playhouse. Man those missing bits can make the thing - for example on White Summer, having the little "It's Your Thing" bit just makes that version of Communication Breakdown...

possible.

Oh, just RAH. I thought you meant the entire DVD (Earls Court and all).

Man those missing bits can make the thing - for example on White Summer, having the little "It's Your Thing" bit just makes that version of Communication Breakdown...

You should try to find EVSD's release (or the low-gen transfers) - it's a good companion to the official release...which is still awesome, of course.

(Of note is the interesting fact that they played the uncut versions of "Communication Breakdown" and "Whole Lotta Love" from the Paris Theatre show last year [?] on the BBC Radio doc.)

I have the Godfather release of the RAH show...superb quality comparable to the official DVD. But they're not cheap.

I'd go with the above recommendation and just make a couple of CDR's from your DVD.

Methinks the Godfather release is just the "pre-release" mixdown, with whatever effects they applied, non?

Agree 100% - night and day in terms of the overall effect of the track.

Methinks the Godfather release is just the "pre-release" mixdown, with whatever effects they applied, non?

So is there a noticeable difference between EVSD's "Jimmy's Birthday Party" 4-CD set and the Godfatherecords release?

As others have pointed out, you can easily find what you seek if you look around the internet.

Besides, Pagey is going to be quite busy with Zeppelin releases over the next couple of years. I suspect that your patience will be rewarded :)

Thank you everyone for all this information. My original question really had more to do with the thinking behind not releasing a CD version of such a great show, more than a desire to find an unofficial copy, because like everyone here I can have all the great AUDs and SBDs in the world but will always buy the official release. But some of these posts have really opened my eyes to what is out there. Right now I'm listening to 3/7/70 Montreux. As Strider said in another thread, this show is indeed CRUSHING MY BALLS. It hurts, but its worth it. And it fully assuages my desire to have the RAH show on CD. (Methinks the RAH show could turn up in the LZ2 boxset next year? Just a thought).

Oh God. I'm listening to Dazed right now. Can't type any more... must go...

I think a possible reason why Royal Albert Hall wasn't released officially is because they didn't want it to take away from the impact or sales of How The West Was Won. That release was a full Zeppelin show from an era when their popular was high, and the release featured many of the band's common hits (most importantly Stairway To Heaven - for the casual fan). Whereas RAH featured an earlier live Zep set, and was even missing some songs due to recording error (such as Heartbreaker). So, although a great show, I could see those aspects of it keeping it from being released as a separate audio set.

Archived