What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

Be happy, Gibson Girl. That's my tip. :)

I have lots of reasons to be happy:

- Its Friday.

- In half a week Ive got holidays

- Our band rehearsal was so good and our gig on monday will be a success.

- My dad bought the new guitar mag, with lots of cool tests and stories

-I dont see a reason to be sad in the moment.

At the moment, UNC Chapel Hill is looking really neat in particular.

Chapel Hill is a great little area. My husband owns a hookah bar on Franklin St. so we spend an awful lot of time there. Good luck in your search.

Speaking of North Carolina, i just arrived in Asheville today. Very pretty area and met a nice friend. Getting ready to have a delicious seafood dinner. That will make me happy too. Gonna see Looking Glass Falls tomorrow and probably eat more seafood! Ledbaby says hi to everyone who misses him...

We passed our MMS inspection with a perfect score 178 components passed zero incs issued for the 9th straight Year. We are also up for the Premiere Award again.Now if We can do that for our upcomming Coast Gaurd Inspection it will be a great Year.

We just recieved the MMS Premier Award for 2008 basically its a award the Goverment issues for doing everything within the Law the oposite of what You see on the Show Black Gold.

Received my University results today and Im now a bachelor of arts in Theatre Studies. After doing a resit after my final year which was last year Ive fineally got my results :).

Edited by Ethan

RAIN!!!!!!!!! :banana::cheer:

At last! Not nearly as much as I would like but better than nothing.

LOL... we'll send you some more rain from Texas. I'm also happy to know it will rain. I guess I'm an adrenaline junky.

If there's going to be a hurricane, might as well enjoy it if we're able. If you're stuck at home because of the storm, party with friends, etc. When given lemons, make lemonade. B)

Brace yourselves, I'm a mechanical engineer and this is going to seem dorky.

I have just finished designing a geared transmission shaft that is required to transmit 100 lbf +/-5% to two other gears with resistance torques of 300 lbf each. I designed it to have a 95% reliable infinite fatigue life with a fatigue safety factor of 3.02, and a desired safety factor for yielding of 2.00.

In essense, this part will never break, even after a lifetime of the specified load fluctuation (paperclips, for example, do not have infinite fatigue lifes as evident by them breaking after only a few bends back and forth).

You can even apply (statically) twice the rated loading, or 210 lbf, before this thing will yield/break. This is for your own safety. Think of a ladder that says it is rated for 250 lbs. Engineers know that a 350 lb person will no doubt use the ladder anyways, hence why we design with safety factors.

All this, while decreasing the shaft diameter from 1.38 inches to 1.179 inches. (Saves material. Material saved = higher profit)

In addition, I was able to write a Matlab program for a shaft of this type that will solve for the required shaft diameter needed (based on the max. shear stress & distortion energy theorms) for any desired safety factor. The program's required inputs include gear forces, gear diameters, desired safety factor, shaft length, etc.

There is no telling just how lame this must sound to all of you. I wouldn't be surprised if 60% of you haven't even made it to this point in my post before moving on to the next one. I guess this is the price I pay.

But there is no denying that this is what made me happy today.

That on my birthday in 1977 there were 100,000 people at the Emerson, Lake, and Palmer concert and my brother and I were in 9 of the 11 audience shots with a couple of zoom ins in the movie of the show and that at Paul McCartneys' show there were 260,000 people and my girlfriend and I were one of the 5 interviews given by TVA news to people in the audience as well as the timing of Paul playing Drive My Car and me coming in "and baby I love you" and kissing her during the interview of a few seconds is pretty damn cool!!!

Edited by roblindblad

Well, time to show my new friend more of our gorgeous city and tons of cool sites.

Never underestimate the power of the zeppelin.

Enjoy your day :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

So far very nice. I loved the waterfalls yesterday and we gotta go back so i can get under it!!! Okay let's get going, i wanna try that Cuban cafe for lunch. Downtown Asheville is a great place! I'm trying to get Speed to post a pic of us...

Before there was a great thunderstorm and rain, was listening to -the doors/la woman, that was cool.

listening to lou reed now and my dog/with the hurt leg has got his head resting on my hurt toe...which i took him to the vet yesterday and was tending to the toe yesterday too. Funny how an animal can zone in on something like that.

So far very nice. I loved the waterfalls yesterday and we gotta go back so i can get under it!!! Okay let's get going, i wanna try that Cuban cafe for lunch. Downtown Asheville is a great place! I'm trying to get Speed to post a pic of us...

My husband and I honeymooned in Asheville. I know the Cuban cafe you're speaking of.....SOOOOO good! Asheville is awesome!

This unbelievable feeling of success and satisfaction.

The last days were so outstanding:

On monday I had the first gig with my new band after 5 days of rehearsals and it was so great.

Our f***ing headmaster didn't allow us to play inside (too loud,you know) so we moved out though it started to rain. And for a first gig it went great. It was such a great athmosphere in the gym and everybody cheared. And after that I won a poetry slam.

This was not the best thing this week...

Yesterday me and my sister won a student short film award (soon to be posted on youtube if i can work it out...). It was a really glamorous show, a bit like the Oscars and we were so surprised to win the "best effects" and to be nominated for "best film"!!! I was so exited that I hardly could say a word on stage.

And the whole guys of my class are my fanclub now...

And now i ve got HOLIDAYS!!!

Hasta la vista School! No more pencils no more books no more teachers dirty looks.

Freedom for six weeks.

And my parents offered me a lapsteel guitar for my good grades. I am so happy i can't express in the moment!

love you all!!!

(oops. I AM euphoric as you see...)

I have just finished designing a geared transmission shaft that is required to transmit 100 lbf +/-5% to two other gears with resistance torques of 300 lbf each. I designed it to have a 95% reliable infinite fatigue life with a fatigue safety factor of 3.02, and a desired safety factor for yielding of 2.00.

In essense, this part will never break, even after a lifetime of the specified load fluctuation (paperclips, for example, do not have infinite fatigue lifes as evident by them breaking after only a few bends back and forth).

You can even apply (statically) twice the rated loading, or 210 lbf, before this thing will yield/break. This is for your own safety. Think of a ladder that says it is rated for 250 lbs. Engineers know that a 350 lb person will no doubt use the ladder anyways, hence why we design with safety factors.

All this, while decreasing the shaft diameter from 1.38 inches to 1.179 inches. (Saves material. Material saved = higher profit)

In addition, I was able to write a Matlab program for a shaft of this type that will solve for the required shaft diameter needed (based on the max. shear stress & distortion energy theorms) for any desired safety factor. The program's required inputs include gear forces, gear diameters, desired safety factor, shaft length, etc.

There is no telling just how lame this must sound to all of you. I wouldn't be surprised if 60% of you haven't even made it to this point in my post before moving on to the next one. I guess this is the price I pay.

VERY Impressive Docron!! :cheer:

Well, time to show my new friend more of our gorgeous city and tons of cool sites.

Never underestimate the power of the zeppelin.

Enjoy your day :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Aha! I knew it! You're LedBaby right?! I do hope you and Tangerine are enjoying your meet up!

but the question i have is...why can't you design a paperclip with an infinite fatigue life?...