What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

:o If I get an eyelash in my eye it feels like a tree limb! I have to wear my reading glasses when reading this post B) I don't like to blow the font up.

:lol: Yup! I can relate. I have to have my glasses to read anything. Even squinting doesn't help so I just wear them. But I don't mind.

I can read without lenses, but I can only read if the book, etc. is only a few inches from my face--it can't be more than 10 or 12. :P

My mom cracked me up last summer when we took our road trip to see RP/AK in Lake Tahoe. She left her reading glasses at home, so when she was supposed to be navigator for me, she tried to hold the entire atlas as far away from her as possible in the front seat of my small little Accord! I had to grab the atlas from her because she wouldn't be able to find the highway numbers or freeway exit numbers, even when I put my finger on them!

She wouldn't buy reading glasses at the truck stops. She drove me cray all weekend--since she couldn't read, she didn't let me read, either. :rolleyes:

Edited by manderlyh

I can read without lenses, but I can only read if the book, etc. is only a few inches from my face--it can't be more than 10 or 12. :P

My mom cracked me up last summer when we took our road trip to see RP/AK in Lake Tahoe. She left her reading glasses at home, so when she was supposed to be navigator for me, she tried to hold the entire atlas as far away from her as possible in the front seat of my small little Accord! I had to grab the atlas from her because she wouldn't be able to find the highway numbers or freeway exit numbers, even when I put my finger on them!

She wouldn't buy reading glasses at the truck stops. She drove me cray all weekend--since she couldn't read, she didn't let me read, either. :rolleyes:

Gotta get one of those GPS devices, there quite cheap now or you could even use your cell phone these days or if you have a laptop with an aircard they have programs with GPS :)

We are having very spring-like weather. It was in the 70's the last few days.

Just at sunset a few minutes ago, the sun came out after a brief rain shower and we had this unbelievable double rainbow!

DSC01292.jpg

Wow that's really quite something! I've never seen that before.

Gotta get one of those GPS devices, there quite cheap now or you could even use your cell phone these days or if you have a laptop with an aircard they have programs with GPS :)

We have a GPS thing for our computers, but it's too much of a pain the the ass to use. My laptop is a 17" Compaq, and I don't have a cigarette charger for it.

My cell phone has a GPS service included in my monthly rate plan, but I've yet to use it.

I don't feel like I go on road trips enough to buy a portable GPS device.

I like the atlases when I really don't know where I'm driving because I can get a better idea where I'm headed.

I was also scared of putting my fingers in on my eye. It actually took me like 2 hours to get a contact in my eye for the first time. I really like the way my peripheral vision is clear, how I can lay down and read, etc. I also really hate it when I exercise my face gets sweaty, and my glasses seem to irritate that a bit more, (same with sunglasses when I'm sweaty..drives me crazy).

I actually think the contacts save my eyes from a lot of things--hair in your eyes doesn't hurt as much, dust doesn't make your eyes as scratchy, etc. (unless the stuff is under your lens, and that's a different story altogether).

I guess I'm a happy camper with the contacts. The only thing I could think that was better was if I were to get Lasik and not need corrective lenses at all--or not as much as I need them now. ;)

I was also scared of putting my fingers in on my eye. It actually took me like 2 hours to get a contact in my eye for the first time. I really like the way my peripheral vision is clear, how I can lay down and read, etc. I also really hate it when I exercise my face gets sweaty, and my glasses seem to irritate that a bit more, (same with sunglasses when I'm sweaty..drives me crazy).

I actually think the contacts save my eyes from a lot of things--hair in your eyes doesn't hurt as much, dust doesn't make your eyes as scratchy, etc. (unless the stuff is under your lens, and that's a different story altogether).

I guess I'm a happy camper with the contacts. The only thing I could think that was better was if I were to get Lasik and not need corrective lenses at all--or not as much as I need them now. ;)

Lasik is one of the best things that I have done. It is awesome to see things clearly when you wake up in the morning. Only someone with compromised vision could appreciate that. B)

Lasik is one of the best things that I have done. It is awesome to see things clearly when you wake up in the morning. Only someone with compromised vision could appreciate that. B)

It's a great procedure but it sounds so scary to me :o Granted I only wear reading glasses so I'd not consider it at this point, but even if I needed them full time, I don't know. I'm a wimp :lol:

My oldest son and I are going to visit a Lasik surgeon's office in two weeks when he will be on spring break from college.

He is applying to Optometry school and one of the requirements for the application is that he visit several offices. He has been coming to my office ever since he was a baby so I think that he has had more knowledge of the profession than most applicants. But I want him to see a different aspect of the career. I have a friend who is an OD and a MD who is one of the best lasik surgeons in the country who we are going to visit. The last time I was at his office he tried to talk me into having the procedure and I almost did it. My son would be a good candidate, but I think that I would advise him to wait until he is done with school before having it done.

Lasik is very safe with good results in most cases.

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

My oldest son and I are going to visit a Lasik surgeon's office in two weeks when he will be on spring break from college.

He is applying to Optometry school and one of the requirements for the application is that he visit several offices. He has been coming to my office ever since he was a baby so I think that he has had more knowledge of the profession than most applicants. But I want him to see a different aspect of the career. I have a friend who is an OD and a MD who is one of the best lasik surgeons in the country who we are going to visit. The last time I was at his office he tried to talk me into having the procedure and I almost did it. My son would be a good candidate, but I think that I would advise him to wait until he is done with school before having it done.

Lasik is very safe with good results in most cases.

What do you mean by in most cases? Please elaborate on this.

I started wearing hard contact lenses when i was 12... but stopped in my 30's mostly because at work my eyes were so dry i couldn't stand to wear lenses. I tried soft lenses after that, but had the worst time putting them in and i didn't adjust smoothly, so i gave up. Now i wear glasses all the time. I have wanted Lasik but been concerned about what might happen 10 years down the road. When it was a newer procedure my Opthamologist said i wasn't a good candidate, but things would improve over the years and then i might be. I haven't asked about it again, but i wonder about it from time to time. I know a few people who did it with good results, but they didn't have the poor vision i have.

I was happy to watch my daughter perform with her entire Nursery school in their Purim show this morning. She wore a pink princess dress and a crown, and she refused to change out of the dress for a trip to the mall this afternoon. She had many passers by say how pretty she looked, lol.

Edited by ~tangerine~

What do you mean by in most cases? Please elaborate on this.

I started wearing hard contact lenses when i was 12... but stopped in my 30's mostly because at work my eyes were so dry i couldn't stand to wear lenses. I tried soft lenses after that, but had the worst time putting them in and i didn't adjust smoothly, so i gave up. Now i wear glasses all the time. I have wanted Lasik but been concerned about what might happen 10 years down the road. When it was a newer procedure my Opthamologist said i wasn't a good candidate, but things would improve over the years and then i might be. I haven't asked about it again, but i wonder about it from time to time. I know a few people who did it with good results, but they didn't have the poor vision i have.

I was happy to watch my daughter perform with her entire Nursery school in their Purim show this morning. She wore a pink princess dress and a crown, and she refused to change out of the dress for a trip to the mall this afternoon. She had many passers by say how pretty she looked, lol.

Hi ~tangerine~!

Alot of my patients have had lasik. Only a few have had problems. Most went to my surgeon friend to have it done. Only one who went to him had problems. Her corneas were too thin after the surgery and she had unstable vision afterward. Another patient had severe dry eyes afterward and had to keep a bottle of eyedrops in her hand at all times to keep her eyes moist. She eventually got better after a year or so. Another patient who had her surgery at one of those cheapy lasik centers had a big problem. The abalation was not centered over her pupil (she must have moved her eye during the procedure) and she had uncorrectable poor vision due to this. The remedy to this problem is for the surgeon to use the LADAR eye tracking system, which of course, costs more. The other thing to consider is that if you are over 40, you are still going to need reading glasses as the lasik does not correct presbyopia, which is the natural loss of near vision due to aging that is unpreventable. So you will still need reading glasses to see at near. Also, most people tend to get a little nearsighted again with time, and you may need part-time distance glasses again at some time. Even if you are perfectly corrected with the lasik the day of your surgery, you probably will be nearsighted again to a small degree ten years later. The other risks, that I have never seen happen in any of my patients, is infection, or the flap of cornea could get dislodged and lost. These could result in permanent loss of vision. This is extremely rare.

99% of my patients who have had lasik are extremely happy with the results and have had no problems.

Edited to say: You probably won't be able to wear contacts successfully after lasik as the contacts won't fit the flattened corneas anymore. So you give up the possibility to ever wear contacts again (in most cases) if you need a visual correction down the road.

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

Hi ~tangerine~!

Alot of my patients have had lasik. Only a few have had problems. Most went to my surgeon friend to have it done. Only one who went to him had problems. Her corneas were too thin after the surgery and she had unstable vision afterward. Another patient had severe dry eyes afterward and had to keep a bottle of eyedrops in her hand at all times to keep her eyes moist. She eventually got better after a year or so. Another patient who had her surgery at one of those cheapy lasik centers had a big problem. The abalation was not centered over her pupil (she must have moved her eye during the procedure) and she had uncorrectable poor vision due to this. The remedy to this problem is for the surgeon to use the LADAR eye tracking system, which of course, costs more. The other thing to consider is that if you are over 40, you are still going to need reading glasses as the lasik does not correct presbyopia, which is the natural loss of near vision due to aging that is unpreventable. So you will still need reading glasses to see at near. Also, most people tend to get a little nearsighted again with time, and you may need part-time distance glasses again at some time. Even if you are perfectly corrected with the lasik the day of your surgery, you probably will be nearsighted again to a small degree ten years later. The other risks, that I have never seen happen in any of my patients, is infection, or the flap of cornea could get dislodged and lost. These could result in permanent loss of vision. This is extremely rare.

99% of my patients who have had lasik are extremely happy with the results and have had no problems.

Edited to say: You probably won't be able to wear contacts successfully after lasik as the contacts won't fit the flattened corneas anymore. So you give up the possibility to ever wear contacts again (in most cases) if you need a visual correction down the road.

If i were to do it i would spend the money and research for the best doctor in my city! Certainly reading glasses and a little near sightedness is acceptable to someone with minus numbers on their vision score! But, for now i'm still waiting and wondering... i'm a chicken! Thank you so much for the information, greatly appreciated!