What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

Hi ~tangerine~!

Alot of my patients have had lasik. Only a few have had problems. Most went to my surgeon friend to have it done. Only one who went to him had problems. Her corneas were too thin after the surgery and she had unstable vision afterward. Another patient had severe dry eyes afterward and had to keep a bottle of eyedrops in her hand at all times to keep her eyes moist. She eventually got better after a year or so. Another patient who had her surgery at one of those cheapy lasik centers had a big problem. The abalation was not centered over her pupil (she must have moved her eye during the procedure) and she had uncorrectable poor vision due to this. The remedy to this problem is for the surgeon to use the LADAR eye tracking system, which of course, costs more. The other thing to consider is that if you are over 40, you are still going to need reading glasses as the lasik does not correct presbyopia, which is the natural loss of near vision due to aging that is unpreventable. So you will still need reading glasses to see at near. Also, most people tend to get a little nearsighted again with time, and you may need part-time distance glasses again at some time. Even if you are perfectly corrected with the lasik the day of your surgery, you probably will be nearsighted again to a small degree ten years later. The other risks, that I have never seen happen in any of my patients, is infection, or the flap of cornea could get dislodged and lost. These could result in permanent loss of vision. This is extremely rare.

99% of my patients who have had lasik are extremely happy with the results and have had no problems.

Edited to say: You probably won't be able to wear contacts successfully after lasik as the contacts won't fit the flattened corneas anymore. So you give up the possibility to ever wear contacts again (in most cases) if you need a visual correction down the road.

Hi BUCK'EYE'DOC,

Thanks for this information. Seems I am going the way you described in your post.

I had Lasik about nine years ago after wearing glasses and contact lenses since I was seven or eight.

I was so happy with the result. I couldn't believe I could read the road signs on the way home, straight after the surgery. I was one of those who couldn't see the bedside clock, so I felt it was one of the best things I had ever done.

After about five years I noticed a deterioration in my right eye so I bought some glasses, these were a mild prescription compared to my pre Lasik glasses so I wasn't too worried. Unfortunately, my right eye has continued to deteriorate (rapidly, it seems, in the last six months)and I am wearing the glasses more and more.

My eyesight is nowhere near as bad as it was before I had Lasik and I can still get by without the glasses, but I was wondering if you can have this surgery twice as I dread the thoughts of having to wear my glasses full time again.

Any information would be appreciated and I hope you don't mind me asking!

Edited to add my apologies for going completely off topic!!

Edited by Fortuna

Hi BUCK'EYE'DOC,

Thanks for this information. Seems I am going the way you described in your post.

I had Lasik about nine years ago after wearing glasses and contact lenses since I was seven or eight.

I was so happy with the result. I couldn't believe I could read the road signs on the way home, straight after the surgery. I was one of those who couldn't see the bedside clock, so I felt it was one of the best things I had ever done.

After about five years I noticed a deterioration in my right eye so I bought some glasses, these were a mild prescription compared to my pre Lasik glasses so I wasn't too worried. Unfortunately, my right eye has continued to deteriorate (rapidly, it seems, in the last six months)and I am wearing the glasses more and more.

My eyesight is nowhere near as bad as it was before I had Lasik and I can still get by without the glasses, but I was wondering if you can have this surgery twice as I dread the thoughts of having to wear my glasses full time again.

Any information would be appreciated and I hope you don't mind me asking!

Edited to add my apologies for going completely off topic!!

Hi Fortuna,

You can have a "touch-up" on your Lasik.

The surgeon lifts the original flap and then just "zaps" the cornea again. I am not sure the time limit on just lifting the flap as I know that it can be done within a year of the original surgery. A new flap may have to be cut if it has been a long time since the initial cut. They now have a laser which can do the cutting which is more precise than the microkeratome, so I would think that it would be preferred when re-cutting a flap.

It depends on how thin your cornea is currently. If it is very thin, then a touch-up cannot be done as it would result in a possible perforation of the eye, which is BAD.

If it is not too thin, then a touch-up can be done.

Some surgeons were guarenteeing lifetime touch ups at no charge several years ago, so check with your original surgeon.

I will ask my surgeon friend when I visit him at the end of the month and get more info then.

Hope this info helps.

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

Well I went up to University of Illinois today with JETS (Junior Engineering and Technical Society). I went with my chem teacher and about 15 other kids. My chem teacher is like an uncle that you love to hang out with. Then I was with 2 other girls and this guy from my school and we got lost and had a great time on our own. Then we ate lunch at a gourmet pizza place, it was so good. After that we went to a few different exhibits then on the bus ride home we laughed for about 2 and a half hours straight. It was one of those days that make me think being in high school isn't half bad.

Well I went up to University of Illinois today with JETS (Junior Engineering and Technical Society). I went with my chem teacher and about 15 other kids. My chem teacher is like an uncle that you love to hang out with. Then I was with 2 other girls and this guy from my school and we got lost and had a great time on our own. Then we ate lunch at a gourmet pizza place, it was so good. After that we went to a few different exhibits then on the bus ride home we laughed for about 2 and a half hours straight. It was one of those days that make me think being in high school isn't half bad.

That's great to hear! Sounds like a wonderful day. High School can definitely have some great moments :)

Hi Fortuna,

You can have a "touch-up" on your Lasik.

The surgeon lifts the original flap and then just "zaps" the cornea again. I am not sure the time limit on just lifting the flap as I know that it can be done within a year of the original surgery. A new flap may have to be cut if it has been a long time since the initial cut. They now have a laser which can do the cutting which is more precise than the microkeratome, so I would think that it would be preferred when re-cutting a flap.

It depends on how thin your cornea is currently. If it is very thin, then a touch-up cannot be done as it would result in a possible perforation of the eye, which is BAD.

If it is not too thin, then a touch-up can be done.

Some surgeons were guarenteeing lifetime touch ups at no charge several years ago, so check with your original surgeon.

I will ask my surgeon friend when I visit him at the end of the month and get more info then.

Hope this info helps.

Thank you 'BUCK'EYE' DOC, that was very helpful. I hadn't heard about 'touch ups' before. I think I will call the original surgeon and make some enquiries. If it doesn't cost too much (I'll mention the 'touch ups' at no cost :D) and it is possible, I might have my right eye re-done.

What made me happy today?

A kind person who I don't even know, took the time to give me some great advice and information.

Thanks again 'BUCK'EYE' DOC.

I got Pretty In Pink (Molly Ringwald) in the 5 dollar movie bargan bin at Wal Mart today.

Excellent! I loved that movie; I just recently realized I still have posters from the movie (I used to work at a video store in the 80s) :)

Virginia, do you watch the Secret Life regularly? I love that so, it's so dramatic but I love it anyway.

And as for anyone discussing the Breakfst Club, which one do you relate to? I must say I mostly relate to Ally Sheedy.

Virginia, do you watch the Secret Life regularly? I love that so, it's so dramatic but I love it anyway.

And as for anyone discussing the Breakfst Club, which one do you relate to? I must say I mostly relate to Ally Sheedy.

My daughter (15) watches it regularly and I watch it with her sometimes :)

Overall I was somewhere between Ally Sheedy and Anthony Michael Hall; kind of nerdy in high school although not as smart as his character and not depressed.

I got a Dyson yesterday. It was a used one that we bought from friends, but it was only about a year old and we got the Animal DC17 for about $250. It's half price, and we had to do a bit of "cleaning up" on it, but I think it's going to be a good machine. :D

I'm hoping that the Dyson will help with my allergies. I'm allergic to dust, and our house is really dusty.

I got a Dyson yesterday. It was a used one that we bought from friends, but it was only about a year old and we got the Animal DC17 for about $250. It's half price, and we had to do a bit of "cleaning up" on it, but I think it's going to be a good machine. :D

I'm hoping that the Dyson will help with my allergies. I'm allergic to dust, and our house is really dusty.

I was with my sister at Target a couple weeks ago and she spent thirty minutes looking at the Dyson. I said it's crazy to spend so much on a vacuum. It was $450 but came with a $50 Target gift card. She didn't buy it then, but i have a feeling she went back for it ( i haven't asked her). According to her, it will last forever. Well i wish you good luck! I paid $300 for an Oreck 15 years ago and swore i would only buy the cheaper Hoovers (under $80 with bags, lol) after a few years and feeling let down. That Dyson with the pivot does look nice...(i might snatch it up for $200).

I was with my sister at Target a couple weeks ago and she spent thirty minutes looking at the Dyson. I said it's crazy to spend so much on a vacuum. It was $450 but came with a $50 Target gift card. She didn't buy it then, but i have a feeling she went back for it ( i haven't asked her). According to her, it will last forever. Well i wish you good luck! I paid $300 for an Oreck 15 years ago and swore i would only buy the cheaper Hoovers (under $80 with bags, lol) after a few years and feeling let down. That Dyson with the pivot does look nice...(i might snatch it up for $200).

Me and the ex wife bought a Kirby in 1984. I still have the Kirby and it is still working great. cost about $1100 then. Crazy. One of the few things I got out of the divorce.

We have a central vacuum system in our house (and my office). It is fantastic. The vacuum and the canister is outside in our garage and we have several outlets on each floor of our house. We use just a hose and the vacuumer and all the dirt goes outside in the garage. None of the dirt stays in the house. It cost about $1500 and we will never have to buy a vacuum cleaner again. I was going through at least one a year at my office before we got the central vac system.