What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

A parrot whose cries of alarm alerted his owner when a little girl choked on her breakfast in Denver, Colorado, has been honoured as a hero.

Willie, a Quaker parrot, has been awarded the Denver Red Cross chapter's Animal Lifesaver Award.

In November, Willie's owner, Megan Howard, was babysitting toddler Hannah, who started to choke on her breakfast when Howard was out of the room.

When Willie repeatedly yelled "Mama, baby" and flapped his wings, Howard returned to find the girl turning blue.

She saved Hannah by performing the Heimlich manoeuvre, but insists Willie is "the real hero".

"The part where she turned blue is always when my heart drops, no matter how many times I've heard it," Hannah's mother, Samantha Kuusk, told KCNC-TV.

"My heart drops in my stomach and I get all teary eyed."

Willie got his award during a "Breakfast of Champions" event on Friday attended by Colorado Governor Bill Ritter and Mayor John Hickenlooper.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=793312

Animals and especially beloved pets are so special. :) I owned a Grey Cheeked parakeet (looks very similar to a Quaker). He helped to save my dad's life back in 1999 when he passed out while telling me over the phone he didn't feel well. I called 911, but couldn't get to his house before the ambulance arrived. Jasmine chirped and screamed so much my dad says that is what woke him up enough for him to get to the door to the banging of the EMT's. That bird brought us so much joy. He/she died a few years ago, in his old age (17 years) from a respiratory illness (died in my dad's hand where he/she often took a nap, lol). A very spoiled, free flying, hand fed/pampered family member.

Quaker Parrot: joe-the-quaker-parrot-11955.jpg

Grey Cheeked Parakeet: grey-cheeked-parakeet1.jpg

edit for typo... beautiful story Roblindblad!

Edited by ~tangerine~

I got a phone call today, which ended up being a really good one.

I have a job interview--let's hope I'm teaching summer school! :cheer:

Excellent new's Mandy. I hope it all work's out for you

Animals and especially beloved pets are so special. :) I owned a Grey Cheeked parakeet (looks very similar to a Quaker). He helped to save my dad's life back in 1999 when he passed out while telling me over the phone he didn't feel well. I called 911, but couldn't get to his house before the ambulance arrived. Jasmine chirped and screamed so much my dad says that is what woke him up enough for him to get to the door to the banging of the EMT's. That bird brought us so much joy. He/she died a few years ago, in his old age (17 years) from a respiratory illness (died in my dad's hand where he/she often took a nap, lol). A very spoiled, free flying, hand fed/pampered family member.

What a beautiful story! I love parotts...this story and pics made my day. :)

Thank you 'BUCK'EYE' DOC, that was very helpful. I hadn't heard about 'touch ups' before. I think I will call the original surgeon and make some enquiries. If it doesn't cost too much (I'll mention the 'touch ups' at no cost :D) and it is possible, I might have my right eye re-done.

What made me happy today?

A kind person who I don't even know, took the time to give me some great advice and information.

Thanks again 'BUCK'EYE' DOC.

Hi Fortuna,

We visited the Lasik center today and I did get the opportunity to see a patient get an enhancement, or touch up on a previous surgery. The patient's previous flap was pried loose and lifted and the cornea was then treated with the laser and then the flap was re-positioned. This patient had a very small degree of nearsightedness and it only required a pulse of the laser for three seconds. It was very easy for the surgeon and the patient.

My surgeon friend said that a previous flap can be lifted up at any point in time, there usually is no problem. Only in rare cases does a new flap have to be cut. He said that the main risk of having an enhancement is being over-corrected and becoming farsighted afterward.

You should check into having the enhancement as it was such a simple procedure.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you.

Woo hoo; good luck!! :cheer:

Thanks. It's just a summer position, but it will get me some much-needed experience AND money. I hope I do well. I really, really hope I do. I'm kind of wondering how many other people are interviewing...it seems that most of my friends didn't even see the opening.

My surgeon friend said that a previous flap can be lifted up at any point in time, there usually is no problem. Only in rare cases does a new flap have to be cut. He said that the main risk of having an enhancement is being over-corrected and becoming farsighted afterward.

I've really been thinking about this. I really hate that I spend so much time taking care of my contacts, worrying about whether I packed an extra pair when I go on vacation, whether my glasses are in my purse, etc. I've worn glasses since I was 11, and my RX is -4.75, so I can't see much without lenses. I would be grateful if I could see well enough to take a shower without lenses--I think I may call up the doctor in town who has the best reputation (his office) and ask a few questions, or ask for literature about it because it would be well-worth it, considering my career depends on the health of my eyes, (how could an English teacher work if she couldn't see well enough to read?).

I've really been thinking about this. I really hate that I spend so much time taking care of my contacts, worrying about whether I packed an extra pair when I go on vacation, whether my glasses are in my purse, etc. I've worn glasses since I was 11, and my RX is -4.75, so I can't see much without lenses. I would be grateful if I could see well enough to take a shower without lenses--I think I may call up the doctor in town who has the best reputation (his office) and ask a few questions, or ask for literature about it because it would be well-worth it, considering my career depends on the health of my eyes, (how could an English teacher work if she couldn't see well enough to read?).

I've thought about it myself. Like you, I started wearing glasses at the same age. My contacts prescription is -6.00. I would love to be able to get up in the morning without having to reach for my glasses and all those other hassles you mentioned. Don't really have money for LASIK though.

I've thought about it myself. Like you, I started wearing glasses at the same age. My contacts prescription is -6.00. I would love to be able to get up in the morning without having to reach for my glasses and all those other hassles you mentioned. Don't really have money for LASIK though.

I think there is financing available. How much is waking up and always being able to see clearly worth?

I have never regretted the surgery. My only regret is not going for it earlier (I was scared by "what if"). B)

Hi Fortuna,

We visited the Lasik center today and I did get the opportunity to see a patient get an enhancement, or touch up on a previous surgery. The patient's previous flap was pried loose and lifted and the cornea was then treated with the laser and then the flap was re-positioned. This patient had a very small degree of nearsightedness and it only required a pulse of the laser for three seconds. It was very easy for the surgeon and the patient.

Thank you, BUCK'EYE'DOC. Very helpful indeed.

It does sound like a simple procedure and I will look into it next week.

I'm hoping it won't be too expensive to have just the one eye done though.

It cost me $5000 nine years ago, but I have always thought it was worth every cent. I will let you know how I get on.

I think you might have to start your own 'Ask the Eye Doctor' thread. :D