What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

Kiwi, that's really a awesome gift!

I had a good day today. It started off slow, but good things have happened. First, we went to Borders to look at their liquidation. I got a book I wanted to purchase, but the sales weren't that great. Then, we went out for dinner, so I didn't have to cook. Next, I started said new book. After that, an acquaintance texted me and asked me to go out walking with her dog and herself. My dog and I went and we had fun.

NOW the biggie: the book I turned my house upside down looking for appeared! I was starting to question whether I'd even bought it, but I was sure I had. I was actually starting to think I was losing my marbles or that I had loaned it out to someone and I couldn't remember who. I went to get my small overnight bag and looks through the toiletries in it (we're going on a trip this week), and it was still packed as an emergency overnight bag for winter storms. I commute 120 miles round trip on rural roads, so I packed an overnight bag so I could stay the night if needed. I also packed a book for entertainment since the colleague I would have stayed with doesn't watch TV. Now THAT made my day! :D

Edited by manderlyh

Damn you, there isn't a decent Thai restaurant around here for miles. Indian food, yes; Chinese food, yes; Mexican food, yes. No Thai. No fair.

Sorry to hear about your situation out there, Electro...as you can't spit in LA without hitting a Thai restaurant, I'd gladly let you take a few of ours. You can have Chan Dara, Torung, Thai Talay, and Toi on Sunset...but you can't have the Daisy Mint, Nine & Nine, Jitlada, Noodle Planet or Palm Thai!

Yesterday, I came home from University at 5 PM. I was cold, tired and hungry. As soon as I reached home, my mom had such a wonderful suprise for me. My best friend on this forum (who is probably one of the best friends I've ever had in my life), sent me a book which she has written (yes folks, she is one incredibly talented lady! B) for writing a book on an exceptionally dense subject like Neo-Libralism, which seems a very interesting read :)) and this beautiful card which she had taken the trouble of making, just for me! :yay::wub:

Photo0715.jpg?t=1311642904

I feel like one incredibly lucky kid to have a friend like her! :D This card and that book are gifts that I'll treasure for the rest of my life! :wub:

that's a lovely thing for you, and an equally nice thing for your friend to have done. ;)

i know who wrote that book, and i do agree they are one of the nicest members here.

i haven't conversed with you very much, kiwi, but i can tell you are a lovely person too. :)

Damn you, there isn't a decent Thai restaurant around here for miles. Indian food, yes; Chinese food, yes; Mexican food, yes. No Thai. No fair.

I feel for you.

If only you were a bloke, you could marry a Thai girl and have Thai food every day, in your own home. Authentic Thai food, too - not the watered-down crap they serve in restaurants to cater to the unsophisticated Western palate.

Alternatively, you could learn to cook it yourself. That's what I did - most of it is very easy - and when I met her, my Thai wife told me my Thai curries were the best she'd ever had. But she said my Pad Thai sucked. :boohoo:

Kiwi, that's really a awesome gift!

I had a good day today. It started off slow, but good things have happened. First, we went to Borders to look at their liquidation. I got a book I wanted to purchase, but the sales weren't that great. Then, we went out for dinner, so I didn't have to cook. Next, I started said new book. After that, an acquaintance texted me and asked me to go out walking with her dog and herself. My dog and I went and we had fun.

NOW the biggie: the book I turned my house upside down looking for appeared! I was starting to question whether I'd even bought it, but I was sure I had. I was actually starting to think I was losing my marbles or that I had loaned it out to someone and I couldn't remember who. I went to get my small overnight bag and looks through the toiletries in it (we're going on a trip this week), and it was still packed as an emergency overnight bag for winter storms. I commute 120 miles round trip on rural roads, so I packed an overnight bag so I could stay the night if needed. I also packed a book for entertainment since the colleague I would have stayed with doesn't watch TV. Now THAT made my day! :D

Hi Manders! :wave:

Thank you very much! :D That gift is truly special! B)

BTW, I am really glad you were able to find that book you supposedly lost! :D I can totally relate to that sort of thing because while at University, I have even "lost" a file containing my assignment in it and there was barely 24 hours remaining till submission and I was literally tearing my hair out in absolute despair! It turns out that the damn file somehow, travelled all the way from my room to my dad's study and into his filling cabinet! Sheesh! :slapface::lol: But luckily, I managed to find it on time because obviously, at University, extremely lame excuses for late submission of assignments like a computer crashing or even a dog eating it :P, will obviously never work! :lol:

that's a lovely thing for you, and an equally nice thing for your friend to have done. ;)

i know who wrote that book, and i do agree they are one of the nicest members here.

i haven't conversed with you very much, kiwi, but i can tell you are a lovely person too. :)

I know what you mean! She is truly one of the nicest folks here and it's an honour being her friend! :D

And thank you so much for the kind comment! :D You are really making me blush now! :blush:

I've seen your posts around here and you seem to be a very nice lady! I mean it! :D

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

BTW, I am really glad you were able to find that book you supposedly lost! :D I can totally relate to that sort of thing because while at University, I have even "lost" a file containing my assignment in it and there was barely 24 hours remaining till submission and I was literally tearing my hair out in absolute despair! It turns out that the damn file somehow, travelled all the way from my room to my dad's study and into his filling cabinet! Sheesh! :slapface::lol: But luckily, I managed to find it on time because obviously, at University, extremely lame excuses for late submission of assignments like a computer crashing or even a dog eating it :P, will obviously never work! :lol:

When I was in school, I lost a TEXTBOOK. My poor mom bought me a new one, only to find the old one about a month later! It was a medical terminology text, one that is a workbook. Now I (still) have two of them and both are half-done. Every time I see it, I feel bad. I got a C in that class, so obviously I didn't even try, and my mom bought me a second book. :slapface:

I had a couple teachers in college who accepted the "My computer crashed, hence I didn't turn in my homework" excuse, provided you could bring your computer to class to show them that it in fact, doesn't work. Students with laptops fared better with this than students who used desktops, but from what I recall, a couple students did in fact do that, and were allowed to submit the assignment late. They had points taken off for it being late, but at least they were allowed to turn it in for some kind of a grade.

Edited by Electrophile

I know what you mean! She is truly one of the nicest folks here and it's an honour being her friend! :D

And thank you so much for the kind comment! :D You are really making me blush now! :blush:

I've seen your posts around here and you seem to be a very nice lady! I mean it! :D

thanks mate! xo :)

Just reading some of the above posts make me happy.

However, the reason for this post is...tomorrow is the last stop on U2's 360 tour, sad, but I'm going, happy. I'll be there with my daughter, my brother and my sister and her family. Rumors are spreading about special guests since it is the last show. A reunion of "It Might Get Loud"!?!?!? Not bloody likely. But there has been talk of Eric Clapton and BB King. Plausible.

This time tomorrow night I will be there, hopefully the rain will hold off and it will be a memory maker.

Tid bit: there will be more people at that concert than the entire population of the city hosting the concert!

^ Have a GREAT time tomorrow night - they are always great, especially when you have a group of family or friends to sing and dance with! :)

Happy today because after a looong week with patches on my back, I have found out that I'm not extremely allergic to anything serious.

Also, we received the wallpaper to redo my son's room with an underwater sharks theme that he has wanted.

On an unhappy moment, we had to take down the jungle theme we have had up since he was a toddler. My 7 year-old boy is growing up! :(

Guest Enrique Velez

Hello everyone,

What made me happy today were the dvd copies of the Seattle '77 and Knebworth show. I sat down and watched the entire Seattle show which I really enjoyed.

Edited by Enrique Velez

Well the last U2 360 tour concert was last night.

To rate my next statement you should know that I have seen these bands live:

April Wine

The Guess Who

BTO

RUSH

The Rolling Stones

AC/DC

and...

um...

er,,,

*cough*

Celine Dione, Ricky Scaggs, Shania Twain and a few others.

anywho...

Last night was by far the best I have ever been to. No competition. For me Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd would top it, but that ain't gonna happen now izit? The stage, the lights, the atmosphere, the people! to hear 80,000 people not just "singing to the music" (oh oh oh oh) but to be yelling the words! There were times I could not hear a thing coming from the speakers. Bono stopped a couple of times to listen to us. I'm sure this happens at most if not all the concerts they have, but I was at this one!

The show was opened by Carney http://www.carneyband.com/ They have a good connection to U2. Next up was Arcade Fire http://www.arcadefire.com/ who opened for U2 back in '05. What a high energy group they are. Fantastic musicians as well.

One of the great show highlights for us was "The Ballad of Springhill". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springhill_mining_disaster And Bono even sung a verse of "Hallelujah".

No special guests...as were rumored. Would have been nice, but certainly not needed.

Thanks all.

Steve

My Daughter-inlaw has gone into labour with my 1st Grandchild....:chickeddance:

Congrats, grandma. ;)

What made me happy today? Well, a couple things. One, my sister found out she got the teaching position she wanted, so she's now an 8th grade Language Arts and Social Studies teacher. Two, the Yankees won this afternoon. After a nice doubleheader shellacking yesterday, they decided to keep it close today. No worries though, a win is a win is a win.

My Daughter-inlaw has gone into labour with my 1st Grandchild....:chickeddance:

Congratulations first-time grandma!!!

As for me...Lunch at Euro Pane in Pasadena(the original location east of Lake, not the newer addition across from the Pasadena Paseo).

Owner Sumi Chang studied under La Brea Bakery legend Nancy Silverton before striking out on her own. Euro Pane has been in existence around 15 years or so, and thanks to an ever-broadening loyal customer base, she finally opened a second location about a year ago. But it is still the small, original Euro Pane that I go to most.

While there are many heavenly things to eat here: the many wonderful tarts, the exquisite lemon bars, excellent bread, 7 different flavours of delicate macarons(that's right...macarons NOT macaroons), fluffy french toast on the weekends...there is ONE REASON ABOVE ALL why this place should be on your list of places to visit when you come to Los Angeles.

They make the GREATEST EGG SALAD SANDWICH I HAVE EVER TASTED!!!

It is un-freaking-believeably good, and it will change the way you think of egg salad sandwiches. In fact, it will ruin you for any other egg salad sandwich. I've been eating them for 15 years now, and not only have I yet to find their equal, I am finding that other egg salad sandwiches that I used to like, seem like epic failures in the wake of Euro Pane's masterpiece. You can choose any of the 7 breads they offer for sandwiches, but I find myself ordering it most often on either the Brioche or the Rosemary Currant. Sourdough or the Olive bread would be my next choices, followed by the Cranberry Walnut.

They use plenty of eggs, that are perfectly cooked(you'd be surprised how many places can't even boil an egg correctly), and they handmake their mayonnaise. It is served with the eggs still slightly warm, so that when you get a bite of the yolk, it is like eating the sun. HEAVENLY!

Have a look...

441932_10_02_24_europane_050.jpg?20110729221710

l.jpg

Of course, I never leave Euro Pane without also getting a few macarons...the sea salt caramel and pistachio are my faves; followed by the blackberry and espresso.

l.jpg

Actually, I've been on a "happiness buzz" all weekend long...just a carry-over from my birthday. Coming here the other day and finding somebody thought enough of me to start a Happy Birthday Thread made me very happy. Then the mailman delivered a package that contained a book written by a very nice and charming lady that I had been awaiting with bated breath. A very nice present for my birthday indeed...it warmed the cockles of my heart.

I feel like Ren & Stimpy...HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!! :D

Edited by Strider

Oh Lord Sean, I don't know how you can eat those things. Just the idea of egg salad in my mouth brings on the dry heaves. I'm sure they're happy they have you as a faithful customer, though.

I swear to you Electro, forget everything you thought you knew about egg salads....this is a paradigm shifting egg salad. One bite will make you a believer.

Oh, I am a loyal customer...but Euro Pane could get along fine without little ole me...they have an entire army of acolytes in this burg!