What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

^^^ Oh my, Deb! So glad that had a happy ending!! :D

Hi Lady!

Yes, I was so glad they found a home. I did cry, but it was tears of joy for those little guys:-) If I ever won the lottery I would open no kill shelters and fund them happily:-)

What made me happy today?

Not sure if this belongs here or in the 'Random Facts' thread...

I got to meet Sully Erna tonight at a meet and greet he was doing for Pura Vida Tequila. He couldn't have been more cordial to those of us waiting in line to meet him.

Yes, I am a closet metal fan..;)

A healthy dose of vitamin sea this weekend... and pelicans. The first pic is from a dinner night cruise on Friday. My favorite walking bridge lit up in the background. There have been times when pelicans were very scarce on the Gulf Coast. I'm happy to say that today, they are everywhere! :) Such a cool bird to watch flying and fishing. Again, my bridge in the background.

post-26295-0-87736400-1437957842_thumb.j

post-26295-0-86279400-1437957869_thumb.j

A healthy dose of vitamin sea this weekend... and pelicans. The first pic is from a dinner night cruise on Friday. My favorite walking bridge lit up in the background. There have been times when pelicans were very scarce on the Gulf Coast. I'm happy to say that today, they are everywhere! :) Such a cool bird to watch flying and fishing. Again, my bridge in the background.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fantastic Ddladner! I always make it a point to watch the pelicans when I am at the beach. They are fascinating to watch as they fly in formation and swoop in to catch their food.

I am curious about your dinner cruise...is there a problem with flies and mosquitos?

^^^

Hi Dd,

Nice pics. I have a question: Did the pelicans just naturally return to the Gulf coast? Or was there a conservation effort made to bring them back?

Hi Pagefan, nice to hear from you! Most likely a combination of the banning of DDT (way back), refuges, and efforts to protect their habitat have helped the brown pelican make a strong return to the Gulf Coast. There may have been some restocking along the way as well. The much larger white pelicans migrate here annually. They are pretty to see, but my love is for the brown. The bald eagle seems to be finding the Gulf Coast a suitable residence as there have been sightings of them recently, a rare and special treat.

Fantastic Ddladner! I always make it a point to watch the pelicans when I am at the beach. They are fascinating to watch as they fly in formation and swoop in to catch their food.

I am curious about your dinner cruise...is there a problem with flies and mosquitos?

Ahh, fascinating indeed. Master fishermen, I love to watch them fly just above the water level, and to see them dive from the sky and retrieve a fish is remarkable. They are a bit clumsy looking but very majestic in the air. Regarding the dinner cruise, that was my shorthand description for driving by boat to eat dinner at a restaurant. No flies or mosquitos. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a piece of my art published into a blog following the slaying of Cecil the lion (mine is the 6th sketch titled "The Big Lad".

An artist from a self taught art forum on Facebook had pm'd me asking if he could use one of my lion sketches for the project. The blog also shows other lion art work and is very thought provoking as well.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in reading it.

http://moon-tide.com/wp/index.php/2015/08/04/capturing-cecil/

Waking up in the middle of the city

In the middle of a bed in the middle of the street? In the middle of a lake? In the middle of the train station? In the middle of a Blue Jay game?

I have had a piece of my art published into a blog following the slaying of Cecil the lion (mine is the 6th sketch titled "The Big Lad".

An artist from a self taught art forum on Facebook had pm'd me asking if he could use one of my lion sketches for the project. The blog also shows other lion art work and is very thought provoking as well.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in reading it.

http://moon-tide.com/wp/index.php/2015/08/04/capturing-cecil/

Congratulations. The Cecil killing still sickens me, so I am still avoiding reading too much about it.

Just got back to the US from a fantastic family vacation. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance, have a lot of work to catch up on!

Cheers!

What? They actually let you back in the country?!? :P

Welcome back La famille Walter. Just in time for NFL season.

• 2 weeks later...

Chicago the musical. Second time this weekend, it was that good!!

:D

The stage show? Absolutely love it!!! The original production, way back in the day, was the first show I saw on Broadway!

The stage show? Absolutely love it!!! The original production, way back in the day, was the first show I saw on Broadway!

Yes, the stage show. It was performed by a local theater company, and I am blown away by the talent. The director/conductor, technical director and Velma are all young adults who grew up with my kids. Can't get over the talent, as professional as any play I've seen. I noticed your signature is from Chicago, great line! I also fell in love with 'pop that gum one more time...'. Know that is random but the delivery was perfect! :)

Well, my father-in-law came through fine this morning after having a triple by-pass surgery. The doctor said his heart is very strong and it never stopped during the entire 4 hour procedure. We are all extremely happy and relieved! Thank you again for all of your positive thoughts, comments and prayers. It's nice to know there is still a great community of support here! Thank you again guys. :)