What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

3 hours ago, greengrass said:

Austin is such a wussy town , the slightest hint of freeze or sleet on the road they shut it down. Im not complainin' , I got yesterday and today off with pay.

People where I live are like that, which isn't good because we get all four seasons here. We're guaranteed some kind of winter weather at least twice, if not three times, a year. Of course, these same yahoos can't drive on rainy pavement any better, so I just avoid the roads if at all possible and let the idiots play bumper cars without me.

On 2/4/2022 at 5:15 PM, Electrophile said:

People where I live are like that, which isn't good because we get all four seasons here. We're guaranteed some kind of winter weather at least twice, if not three times, a year. Of course, these same yahoos can't drive on rainy pavement any better, so I just avoid the roads if at all possible and let the idiots play bumper cars without me.

Well it seems our winter's over , bring on Summer.

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2022 at 11:29 AM, greengrass said:

Austin is such a wussy town , the slightest hint of freeze or sleet on the road they shut it down. Im not complainin' , I got yesterday and today off with pay.

• 2 weeks later...

It sucks when a band has its gear stolen. Rarely do you see the crime solved in a timely manner.. But in this case, it looks like there is a happy ending. Figures it was the dirty miscreants in Portland that perpetrated the crime.

https://katu.com/amp/news/local/band-the-brian-jonestown-massacre-locates-rare-guitars-stolen-before-portland-oregon-show

5 hours ago, Strider said:

It sucks when a band has its gear stolen. Rarely do you see the crime solved in a timely manner.. But in this case, it looks like there is a happy ending. Figures it was the dirty miscreants in Portland that perpetrated the crime.

https://katu.com/amp/news/local/band-the-brian-jonestown-massacre-locates-rare-guitars-stolen-before-portland-oregon-show

They did but Ricky Maymi didn't get his Gibson E335 12 string back, I read he's not happy at all. He has though sourced a replacement, doesn't really ease the pain though.

Edited by JTM
full stop

It's a long story.  Weather was a part of it (the rain/clouds and cold that you guys usually get moved down to Spain), but that was just the tip of the iceberg of dread:

On my drive down to the airport, I got an e-mail from American Airlines saying my flight from Denver to Dallas is delayed 0ne and a half hours due to head winds and that I will miss my connecting flight from Dallas to Madrid at 1600 hours.  I got to Denver airport, looked at the departures info and saw an earlier flight to Dallas.  Got to customer service, asked if I could get on the earlier flight and she said they already started boarding so I'd have to run.  Got new boarding passes, literally ran through the airport to the shuttle train.  An old lady was standing in the middle of the escalator and when she got to the door of the train, she stopped.  I pushed her in saying "move it!" and got on the train just as the door shut on my elbow.  Got to the gate just as the called the last group to board.

Landed in Dallas on time and had a three and a half hour wait until my 1600 hour flight from Dallas to Madrid.  Boarded on time, but sat at the gate for a hour.  We finally took off and after three and a half hours of flying the pilot made an announcement that there was a mechanical issue with the plane and we would have to return to Dallas.  On the way back, the plane dumped all it's fuel, they locked the bathroom doors, cut off all power to the cabin except lights and the flight attendants walked up and down the aisle verifying our brace for impact positions.  Women were screaming and crying, people were taking last minute selfies, the Spanish guys behind us were yelling at the flight attendants.  We got to DIA and saw fire trucks lined up on one side of the runway - ambulances on the other side.  Plane landed roughly and tipped a bit to one side, but ok.  Everyone on board was cheering and applauding.  We stopped almost immediately and stayed on the runway until engineers could could a visual inspection if the plane.  The pilot then told us that his instruments detected a flat tire on the plane, ground control instrumentation showed it was fine, but he didn't want to take the chance.  Engineers confirmed tire was flat and we were towed into the nearest open gate.

We were told to remain at the gate for further info.  After an hour, they announced that they would repair the plane and we would re-board to the same seats we had previously and continue on to Madrid.  Next departure time posted on the board was 2330 hours.  Then 0030 hours, then 0130 hours.  Finally at 2 AM they announced that they could not service the plane and the flight as cancelled.  Two hundred 20 people then rushed to the only customer service desk that was staffed at 2 AM to re-book,  While in line I heard an announcement that AA was providing hotel accommodations and food vouchers for us.  I checked the e-mail, hotel was in downtown Dallas at the Hyatt Regency and there was no shuttle (so a $65 one way taxi ride).  The food voucher which was only available at the hotel was for TWELVE DOLLARS!!

BY the time I got to customer service, the repeat flight to Madrid at 1600 hors was already full.  The best he said he could do for me was get me on the Dallas - London flight at 2100 hours and after a 5 hour layover there, fly from London to Madrid arriving on Saturday afternoon.  I told him that wouldn't work as I would miss not only my connecting flight to Malta but also my tour.  He told me "If you don't take it, the guy behind you will."  I took it hoping I could come back the next morning and fight for something that would work.

Paid $65 for a cab to downtown Dallas.  Got to my hotel room at 0400 hours.  Laid down in the bed stewed for 2 hours then got up, checked out, bought a $12 croissant and got a cab back to the airport.  I went to Customer Service and pleaded my case.  She said the 1600 was full with stand-bys, but she would try other connecting flights.  She tried to route me through Kansas City, Chicago, Boston and New York - notta.  I asked if she could switch my ticket to another airline - nope,  How about letting me stay in the American Lounge until my 2100 hour flight, - nope!  I asked to speak to a Supervisor and she said the Supervisor doesn't get it until 0900, but she would tell me the same thing.

I went to another customer service desk and got the same results.  I saw a card on her desk for AA Assistance with a 1-800 number and grabbed the card.  I called the number pleaded my case and she said "Stay on the line while I try a few things."  After about 8 minutes she came back on and said she was re-routing me to Miami and then on to Madrid where I would arrive Friday morning - just in time to catch my connecting Malta flight.  But I would have to run as they were about to board.  I thanked her profusely, went to Customer Service for new boarding passes and run to the Skylink to get to the other terminal.  

Got to the Miami gate just as they started boarding priority passengers.  They boarded five, then stopped, closed the gate door and announced that the flight was being delayed DUE TO MECHANICAL ISSUES WITH THE PLANE!  They said the next departure time would be an hour later.  I yelled "Oh no, I've played this game before.", dug out that 1-800 number again and callled.

I told that lady the whole story and she said "Give me a few minutes."  After a couple minutes she said, "I got you on the 1600 hour flight from Dallas to Madrid departing in 4 hours, Would you like a window or aisle seat?"  I almost cried.  I thanked her profusely, took the Skylink to that terminal and waited.  I say about a dozen people from the previous disaster flight and we all bonded.  That plane did take off on time and I arrived in Madrid 24 hours later than originally scheduled.

That was all before I even got to Spain.  The rest of the trip continued the trials and tribulations. 

1 hour ago, Stryder1978 said:

It's a long story.  Weather was a part of it (the rain/clouds and cold that you guys usually get moved down to Spain), but that was just the tip of the iceberg of dread:

On my drive down to the airport, I got an e-mail from American Airlines saying my flight from Denver to Dallas is delayed 0ne and a half hours due to head winds and that I will miss my connecting flight from Dallas to Madrid at 1600 hours.  I got to Denver airport, looked at the departures info and saw an earlier flight to Dallas.  Got to customer service, asked if I could get on the earlier flight and she said they already started boarding so I'd have to run.  Got new boarding passes, literally ran through the airport to the shuttle train.  An old lady was standing in the middle of the escalator and when she got to the door of the train, she stopped.  I pushed her in saying "move it!" and got on the train just as the door shut on my elbow.  Got to the gate just as the called the last group to board.

Landed in Dallas on time and had a three and a half hour wait until my 1600 hour flight from Dallas to Madrid.  Boarded on time, but sat at the gate for a hour.  We finally took off and after three and a half hours of flying the pilot made an announcement that there was a mechanical issue with the plane and we would have to return to Dallas.  On the way back, the plane dumped all it's fuel, they locked the bathroom doors, cut off all power to the cabin except lights and the flight attendants walked up and down the aisle verifying our brace for impact positions.  Women were screaming and crying, people were taking last minute selfies, the Spanish guys behind us were yelling at the flight attendants.  We got to DIA and saw fire trucks lined up on one side of the runway - ambulances on the other side.  Plane landed roughly and tipped a bit to one side, but ok.  Everyone on board was cheering and applauding.  We stopped almost immediately and stayed on the runway until engineers could could a visual inspection if the plane.  The pilot then told us that his instruments detected a flat tire on the plane, ground control instrumentation showed it was fine, but he didn't want to take the chance.  Engineers confirmed tire was flat and we were towed into the nearest open gate.

We were told to remain at the gate for further info.  After an hour, they announced that they would repair the plane and we would re-board to the same seats we had previously and continue on to Madrid.  Next departure time posted on the board was 2330 hours.  Then 0030 hours, then 0130 hours.  Finally at 2 AM they announced that they could not service the plane and the flight as cancelled.  Two hundred 20 people then rushed to the only customer service desk that was staffed at 2 AM to re-book,  While in line I heard an announcement that AA was providing hotel accommodations and food vouchers for us.  I checked the e-mail, hotel was in downtown Dallas at the Hyatt Regency and there was no shuttle (so a $65 one way taxi ride).  The food voucher which was only available at the hotel was for TWELVE DOLLARS!!

BY the time I got to customer service, the repeat flight to Madrid at 1600 hors was already full.  The best he said he could do for me was get me on the Dallas - London flight at 2100 hours and after a 5 hour layover there, fly from London to Madrid arriving on Saturday afternoon.  I told him that wouldn't work as I would miss not only my connecting flight to Malta but also my tour.  He told me "If you don't take it, the guy behind you will."  I took it hoping I could come back the next morning and fight for something that would work.

Paid $65 for a cab to downtown Dallas.  Got to my hotel room at 0400 hours.  Laid down in the bed stewed for 2 hours then got up, checked out, bought a $12 croissant and got a cab back to the airport.  I went to Customer Service and pleaded my case.  She said the 1600 was full with stand-bys, but she would try other connecting flights.  She tried to route me through Kansas City, Chicago, Boston and New York - notta.  I asked if she could switch my ticket to another airline - nope,  How about letting me stay in the American Lounge until my 2100 hour flight, - nope!  I asked to speak to a Supervisor and she said the Supervisor doesn't get it until 0900, but she would tell me the same thing.

I went to another customer service desk and got the same results.  I saw a card on her desk for AA Assistance with a 1-800 number and grabbed the card.  I called the number pleaded my case and she said "Stay on the line while I try a few things."  After about 8 minutes she came back on and said she was re-routing me to Miami and then on to Madrid where I would arrive Friday morning - just in time to catch my connecting Malta flight.  But I would have to run as they were about to board.  I thanked her profusely, went to Customer Service for new boarding passes and run to the Skylink to get to the other terminal.  

Got to the Miami gate just as they started boarding priority passengers.  They boarded five, then stopped, closed the gate door and announced that the flight was being delayed DUE TO MECHANICAL ISSUES WITH THE PLANE!  They said the next departure time would be an hour later.  I yelled "Oh no, I've played this game before.", dug out that 1-800 number again and callled.

I told that lady the whole story and she said "Give me a few minutes."  After a couple minutes she said, "I got you on the 1600 hour flight from Dallas to Madrid departing in 4 hours, Would you like a window or aisle seat?"  I almost cried.  I thanked her profusely, took the Skylink to that terminal and waited.  I say about a dozen people from the previous disaster flight and we all bonded.  That plane did take off on time and I arrived in Madrid 24 hours later than originally scheduled.

That was all before I even got to Spain.  The rest of the trip continued the trials and tribulations. 

Shit man. Sorry I asked. That is why we are holidaying in Wales this year

Thanks dude.  I talked to a British couple in Sevilla and they were so pissed that they decided to vacation in Spain at the same time the weather was gorgeous in the UK.  Hope you and the missus have a great time in Wales!

On 4/30/2022 at 2:44 PM, JTM said:

They did but Ricky Maymi didn't get his Gibson E335 12 string back, I read he's not happy at all. He has though sourced a replacement, doesn't really ease the pain though.

Oh man, that sucks. Ricky is my favourite member of the Brian Jonestown Massacre. Not only is he one of the original founding members, but it was his return in the mid-2000s along with the addition of Dan Allaire on drums that helped resuscitate the band during the "Dig"-era malaise. A lot of people who go see BJM try to stand in front of Anton or Joel but I always go towards Ricky's side of the stage. That warm 12-string sound of his is crucial to the band's sound. I hope he is reunited with his beautiful Gibson E335 12 soon.

ricky-maymi-8fd845d8-0ba4-4071-9f41-a3d2ebbaa11-resize-750.png.b0f0df4864ae21d79d7679f394ce386f.png

On 5/3/2022 at 5:30 AM, Stryder1978 said:

Yikes. I think I will be holding off on traveling long distances for a while.

28 minutes ago, Strider said:

Yikes. I think I will be holding off on traveling long distances for a while.

My sentiments exactly!  It will take some time for this one to wear off.  I haven't even talked about:

1. Arriving in Spain just in time to experience the worst cold front they've had in 25 years.  (saw 3 hours of sunlight the first week and a half I was there).  

2. Hostel that sent me instructions to their accommodations all in Spanish only.  Got to the hostel  - at night - and no one was there!

3. Driving through the Spanish mountains - and running into a snowstorm that dumped 4-6 inches.

4. Booking a tour in Malta only to have the guide come down with Covid - two days before I get there.  And there were no other GoT guides.

You get the point........