What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

my 7 yo just went to a birthday party. to some thats common, but its only the third for him. and he was well behaved and had a great time! he also got on so well with one of the other boys, that his mum and i exchanged numbers and will make a playdate. also a first! woo hoo . a great day. :D

Slave, that is GREAT!! Didn't you say your child has Aspbergers? (sorry spelling) My neighbors son has that also and he's now 16. They moved from Boston to our town in NJ because of our school program. I just want to let you know....he's a wonderful young man and I would have never know he had Aspbergers if his mom and dad didn't tell us. I thought he was just a bit shy at first but now that he knows us better he is a lot more open. He doesn't much like direct eye contact and doens't like to be touched. I found that out when we were having a bbq together and I just touched his arm in conversation (I'm a touchy feely kinda person) and he withdrew a bit. He is so smart it's unbelievable, we were having great conversation about history and other subjects. If something interests him he is a voracious reader on the topic and can spit out facts and numbers very impressively!

He is now on the football team, his parents were reluctant because he's a BIG kid and they feared he would just be beat up as a blocker but they talked it out with the coach and he's really grown for being part of a team. I also have to say, he has such nice friends. They are great kids! A real pleasure to be around. He is now driving!!! But it's funny because he does still have some motor skill problems and his parents worry about that. Things like, if you give him an egg he will either drop it or hold on to it so tight that he'll break it. They worry about him with any kind of machinery but he's becoming handy with electrical saws and stuff. He mowed the lawn for the first time the other day and the mower broke down. It was so funny becuase it wasn't even his fault but I'm sure he felt bad! My hubby fixed the mower and he finished the job. His confidence is growing every day and he's a great kid!

Just want to share that story with you.....I'm sure your child will grow into a wonderful individual also! Especially with a great Mom like you!

Love and Light to you! Medhb

Slave, that is GREAT!! Didn't you say your child has Aspbergers? (sorry spelling) My neighbors son has that also and he's now 16. They moved from Boston to our town in NJ because of our school program. I just want to let you know....he's a wonderful young man and I would have never know he had Aspbergers if his mom and dad didn't tell us. I thought he was just a bit shy at first but now that he knows us better he is a lot more open. He doesn't much like direct eye contact and doens't like to be touched. I found that out when we were having a bbq together and I just touched his arm in conversation (I'm a touchy feely kinda person) and he withdrew a bit. He is so smart it's unbelievable, we were having great conversation about history and other subjects. If something interests him he is a voracious reader on the topic and can spit out facts and numbers very impressively!

He is now on the football team, his parents were reluctant because he's a BIG kid and they feared he would just be beat up as a blocker but they talked it out with the coach and he's really grown for being part of a team. I also have to say, he has such nice friends. They are great kids! A real pleasure to be around. He is now driving!!! But it's funny because he does still have some motor skill problems and his parents worry about that. Things like, if you give him an egg he will either drop it or hold on to it so tight that he'll break it. They worry about him with any kind of machinery but he's becoming handy with electrical saws and stuff. He mowed the lawn for the first time the other day and the mower broke down. It was so funny becuase it wasn't even his fault but I'm sure he felt bad! My hubby fixed the mower and he finished the job. His confidence is growing every day and he's a great kid!

Just want to share that story with you.....I'm sure your child will grow into a wonderful individual also! Especially with a great Mom like you!

Love and Light to you! Medhb

thankyou! yes its great to hear positive stuff like that. its a very broad spectrum..........aspergers can manifest in lots of ways..........somedays you would never tell my son from the crowd, but others.........well hes out there! they do tend to get focused on one thing at a time, like your friend with the history books. its been said that einsteen may have had aspergers. my son's dad ( who im sure, and the doc agrees with me ) has aspergers is very much like that. the upside is they get very good at that particular thing. his dad is a brilliant muso. ( im hopeing my son will be also! ). yeah, my son cant handle people touching him either, hes lost friends because of simple stuff like that. but as i always say to myself, theres always someone worse of than yourself. aspergers is much milder than full blown autism, and im thankful for that.

cheers! :D

thankyou! yes its great to hear positive stuff like that. its a very broad spectrum..........aspergers can manifest in lots of ways..........somedays you would never tell my son from the crowd, but others.........well hes out there! they do tend to get focused on one thing at a time, like your friend with the history books. its been said that einsteen may have had aspergers. my son's dad ( who im sure, and the doc agrees with me ) has aspergers is very much like that. the upside is they get very good at that particular thing. his dad is a brilliant muso. ( im hopeing my son will be also! ). yeah, my son cant handle people touching him either, hes lost friends because of simple stuff like that. but as i always say to myself, theres always someone worse of than yourself. aspergers is much milder than full blown autism, and im thankful for that.

cheers! :D

Have you read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time? If not....HIGHLY recommend!! GREAT book!!! Your son is still young, the more experiences he has the more he'll become able to deal with things like being touched and stuff like that.

Blessings to you Sweetie!

Who is the Headline music act this year?? Bele Chere is cool the first few times, after that the locals can't wait for the crowds to go away. It was cool when I lived downtown there though, we had only to step outside and be right in the midst of it all. ( College Street )

My youngest kids dad plays there some years. They're called Jimmy Baker and The Profits. B)

The best shows I saw there were Taj Mahal and then Bo Diddley.

Now they make you buy tickets to the headline, but it used to be all free.

ps: Jerusalem Garden has great sammies.

Travis Tritt.

Cowboy Mouth

The Wailers

Edwin McCain

The Original P funk

The Lee Boys

The Grascals

Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver

Yeah,

They now call of of them "Headline Acts." Many are still free. I think people from out in the sticks and the teens enjoy it better than the locals. You know Biltmore Mall is about half empty now? People are doing a spin around and moving closer to town because of various prices. I was in Jerusalem Garden once for soup and coffee (between Bank America and WineHaus) Asheville has changed greatly Hotplant.

I like the Balloons though :)

s_hot_air_balloon13.jpg

Awww. Thank you ~tangerine~. Hope you enjoyed the guys at The Lobster Trap playing Led Zeps Tangerine for you. I know I sure did and the fresh lobster. Three cheers for 18hr Maine Lobster

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Tomorrow will be Ghost Town and then Biltmore House. Today was Cherokee, Nantahala Gorge, Fontana Dam, Fontana Village and lake.....

Holy shit batman..er..Speed Racer.Fontana Dam.Many family vacations there as a kid.Tex Brownlee and his squaredancing gigs.Residing in the dam builders cottages.Horseback riding...bunches of pretty girls.Catching trout out of the Little Tennessee(?)flowing out below the dam.Beautiful,beautiful country.Next time Tangy visits,consider working your way to Franklin and the Cowee Valley to get some ruby and sapphire mining in.It can be muddy,but it's a fun way to spend a day.Extremely nice area of our fruited plain.

Holy shit batman..er..Speed Racer.Fontana Dam.Many family vacations there as a kid.Tex Brownlee and his squaredancing gigs.Residing in the dam builders cottages.Horseback riding...bunches of pretty girls.Catching trout out of the Little Tennessee(?)flowing out below the dam.Beautiful,beautiful country.Next time Tangy visits,consider working your way to Franklin and the Cowee Valley to get some ruby and sapphire mining in.It can be muddy,but it's a fun way to spend a day.Extremely nice area of our fruited plain.

Everywhere was beautiful. My family vacationed mostly in NJ and Florida growing up. The only time i was in NC before this trip was on the Atlantic coast. Asheville and the surrounding area is very nice. Your suggestion sounds good, even if it's muddy.

Edited by ~tangerine~

Swimming, grew up swimming in canals, jumping off bridges, swimming at jones beach after hours w/no life guards, cleaning bottoms of boats w/waves and the boat hitting you on the head,treading clams in deep water, jumping off bell buoys a mile offshore. I think its great for kids to grow up around the water.

Swimming, grew up swimming in canals, jumping off bridges, swimming at jones beach after hours w/no life guards, cleaning bottoms of boats w/waves and the boat hitting you on the head,treading clams in deep water, jumping off bell buoys a mile offshore. I think its great for kids to grow up around the water.

I have loved to swim and be in the water since i was five. I agree with you kids should grow up around the water. I wish i could afford to live in a climate that you can swim outdoors most of the year (preferably near a nice beach). I may take my daughter and nieces to the pool tomorrow.

Have you read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time? If not....HIGHLY recommend!! GREAT book!!! Your son is still young, the more experiences he has the more he'll become able to deal with things like being touched and stuff like that.

Blessings to you Sweetie!

no, never heard of that book, but will watch out for it. thanks!

I have loved to swim and be in the water since i was five. I agree with you kids should grow up around the water. I wish i could afford to live in a climate that you can swim outdoors most of the year (preferably near a nice beach). I may take my daughter and nieces to the pool tomorrow.

Oh, i was just talking to someone at the bar/restaurant that when i was a kid we were unsupervised as kids, we'd ride our big wheels.plastic tricylces acrsoss this corner, that used to be a texaco station and is now a parking lot. My parents were great, but that supervision jjust want a concern ya know.

Swimming,with really young kids is good ofcourse! But let those kids go wild and become water rats... the more the better, imo.

Yeah, swimming in salt water is much better than pools/lakes imo. Its a pleasure swimming in salt water.

Oh, i was just talking to someone at the bar/restaurant that when i was a kid we were unsupervised as kids, we'd ride our big wheels.plastic tricylces acrsoss this corner, that used to be a texaco station and is now a parking lot. My parents were great, but that supervision jjust want a concern ya know.

Swimming,with really young kids is good ofcourse! But let those kids go wild and become water rats... the more the better, imo.

Yeah, swimming in salt water is much better than pools/lakes imo. Its a pleasure swimming in salt water.

Things have changed. I think they took big wheels off the market due to safety reasons. I loved mine! When i was a kid we could ride bikes, roller skate, run around the neighborhood, and there wasn't any parent supervision. It was much safer than it is today, although i live on a very quiet street in a relatively quite neighborhood. Still i would never take my eyes off my child.

I prefer fresh water to salt because i've had plenty of the Atlantic in my mouth, lol. The tide has been strong most of the time i've been swimming in it. But i will pretty much get into any water if it's not "dangerous".

Things have changed. I think they took big wheels off the market due to safety reasons. I loved mine! When i was a kid we could ride bikes, roller skate, run around the neighborhood, and there wasn't any parent supervision. It was much safer than it is today, although i live on a very quiet street in a relatively quite neighborhood. Still i would never take my eyes off my child.

I prefer fresh water to salt because i've had plenty of the Atlantic in my mouth, lol. The tide has been strong most of the time i've been swimming in it. But i will pretty much get into any water if it's not "dangerous".

When we were kids the streets were empty so so speak, now cars are lined everwhere. I think its just more people is the difference basically. Which that reflects in all the other stuff, from th street level up to the govt i guess.

Yeah, dont take your eyes off your kid, but let them live their lives....which i see alot of parents sort of not doing these days. But thats none of my business ofcourse.

With salt water...then your not used to salt water. Salt water is much better to swim in, in regards to buoyancy. Are you talking about the ocean/beach, waves...

With salt water...then your not used to salt water. Salt water is much better to swim in, in regards to buoyancy. Are you talking about the ocean/beach, waves...

Yeah, i was talking about the waves in particular. When you are going out farther into the ocean and the waves crash upon you or you dive under them, that salt water taste always was strong for me. Then again, i'm not particularly fond of salty foods, either. The taste of chlorine if it's strong, in a swimming pool, isn't so great either. I don't let the water keep me out, lol. As long as there isn't a recent shark attack or visibly bad conditions i will swim almost anywhere if i'm prepared (suit on or change of clothes). My favorite place to swim is in calm waters. The Gulf of Mexico when i was at Sanibel Island was ideal. The Pacific in Mexico was rough with a strong undertoe...gorgeous beaches, dangerous ocean.

Yeah, i was talking about the waves in particular. When you are going out farther into the ocean and the waves crash upon you or you dive under them, that salt water taste always was strong for me. Then again, i'm not particularly fond of salty foods, either. The taste of chlorine if it's strong, in a swimming pool, isn't so great either. I don't let the water keep me out, lol. As long as there isn't a recent shark attack or visibly bad conditions i will swim almost anywhere if i'm prepared (suit on or change of clothes). My favorite place to swim is in calm waters. The Gulf of Mexico when i was at Sanibel Island was ideal. The Pacific in Mexico was rough with a strong undertoe...gorgeous beaches, dangerous ocean.

Thats just cause your not used to it, its just your survival instinct. Calm water is beautiful, but it has always amazed me how different this lake in maine where i go swimming, is compared to the salt water. Its almost like the lake wants to suck you under, sort of an effort to tread water comared to salt water.

And since the Mexicans pretty much just dump their raw sewage right into the ocean, maybe that "strong water taste" was more than just salt?

Probably the lime, the worm and a few big brown burritos too for sure.

:o

Yes, I grew up in San Diego and the beaches around there can be very dangerous. The undertow can grab you and drag you out and unless you are a very strong swimmer it can be very dangerous. But I have always loved the beach!

And since the Mexicans pretty much just dump their raw sewage right into the ocean, maybe that "strong water taste" was more than just salt?

Probably the lime, the worm and a few big brown burritos too for sure.

:o

Back when I was growing up there, this problem was not that great. But now I wouldn't eat any of the fish that come out of that part of the Pacific! Del, have you ever been to Imperial Beach, or Blacks Beach? I lived about 10 minutes from Imperial Beach.