Livin' Lovin' Maid; what's the deal?

JGaul

I've always wondered what the deal is with this song; not in terms of lyrics/meaning, but why it is seemingly never mentioned.

Every time I listen to it now on Led Zeppelin II, I feel like I've come across a lost track or something.

I remember hearing something once about Page saying that he hated the song, but that's it.

There doesn't seem to be any elaboration.

As far as I'm concerned, it seems like a pretty Zepp-ish song (especially that main riff).

Sure, the solo isn't the most amazingly exciting one to play, but it still sounds like classic Page.

Anyways, it has never been performed live (atleast in entirety), and I was wondering if anyone had any theories/knowledge regarding the mystery surrounding this song.

I wonder if Page just hated singing the backup vocals?

Honestly? It seems pretty simple to me: It's the most "throwaway" and cavalier of their songs. Aside from the infectious riff, it doesn't have all that much to it - and it pales in comparison to some of the (comparative) masterpieces on the album: "Whole Lotta Love," "Heartbreaker," "The Lemon Song"...

I guess all of that is my opinion. But that's how I've always framed the situation in my imagination - I've always thought it was parallel to "Paranoid" by Sabbath: A song that was basically composed as filler; the difference being that "Paranoid" ended up being Sabbath's signature song, of course, which they didn't see coming.

(According to Wiki, btw, Plant played the song during his 1990 tour.)

I really love this song because to me is very catchy and makes me feel happier...i am really sad that Jimmy and Robert don't like it. I heard once that when they listened to it for the first time on the radio back in 69 they were completely shocked !!

I guess that's a good way of putting it. I was just curious how there are many known Zeppelin song that are 'overlooked,' and Livin' Lovin' Maid still doesn't seem to come up.

I 'spose it just shocks me that Zeppelin would ever have anything defined as 'filler'!

Also, Plant apparently likes the song quite a bit or atleast came to like the song (and played it on his '90 tour, as was pointed out). It seems to be only Page who hates the song. (technically I don't know what JPJ thinks or Bonzo [RIP])

This is my weirdness: I LOVE "LIVING LOVING MAID"!

It's everything that Led Zeppelin's detractors said the band lacked: Conciseness, swing, a good beat you could dance to, humour.

It is a short, snappy song that really moves. Again, it's what the band doesn't play that gives the song its groove. I loved it the first time I heard it. One of the few songs less than three minutes in the Led Zeppelin canon.

It also has some great lyrics that, unlike some of their mystical musings or recycled blues shouts, you could relate to everyday life.

"Alimony, alimony, paying your bills

When your conscience hits

You knock it back with pills"

Just the way Robert Plant begins the song, turning the word 'umbrella' into a four-syllable hook...um-ber-el-la. It tickles me pink...or purple.

In fact, I love Plant's phrasing and delivery on this whole song...the line "with her butler and her maid and her servants three" is a gem and listen to how he draws out the "Nooobody hears a single woooord you say".

Man(and women) can not live on mystical epics alone. There has to be some room for brevity and wit. Songs like "Living Loving Maid", "Dancing Days", "Hey Hey What Can I Do", "Misty Mountain Hop", "Rock and Roll", "Hot Dog", and "Boogie With Stu" add a large dose of fun to the Zeppelin oevre, and make the epics stand out even more in relief.

I always considered it a damn shame that the band never played it in concert...just as I could never fathom why "Good Times Bad Times" was never performed in its entirety, especially on their first couple of tours. It's one of the few misjudgments Jimmy Page had, in my opinion, if he truly was the reason for the song's banishment.

A quirky fact about this song: Because of the way "Living Loving Maid" would immediately follow "Heartbreaker" on the album with nary a pause, at most U.S. FM rock radio stations, whenever they played "Heartbreaker" the station would just let "Living Loving Maid" follow. As such, there are generations of us who grew up listening to the radio who always expect to hear "Living Loving Maid" after hearing "Heartbreaker" on the radio.

It's like a Pavlovian response.

I remember SNL used it as an intro song to their news segment back in the early 80's. I LOVE the song! Remember Robert bashing it a bit during the 5/24/75 Earl's Court show? I was very surprised when he played it on his Manic Nirvana tour (plus playing guitar as well). I have it as the b-side to WLL, 45 mono version. I love the cool skip beat Bonzo does in the latter part of the song, plus Jimmy's wah-wah pedal work. It would have been a great encore or part of their opening two/three song start to their show back in the early 70's, IMO.

:yesnod:

I'm so glad to see so many people who appreciate the song!

It always stood out to me and it is one of the greatest transitions between songs (heartbreaker - LLM)

It is just a shame that Page thought it was worthless.

In a weird way, I always thought of the song as kind of a mix between Communication Breakdown and Celebration Day!

A slightly odd combo, I know, but I think it's great!

...Now my comments seem negative in retrospect, in light of the absolute love-fest going on in the thread. :P

Just to be clear: I do like the song; it just has a different air about it - it's quite pop-like to me - which sets it apart from the other songs on the album. (It reminds me a lot of "Good Times Bad Times" and "Communication Breakdown" - both of which I prefer, though.)

My dad has always been upset whenever I remind him that they never (basically) played the song live...he grew up hearing it following "Heartbreaker." I always find the lack of Bach's "Bourée" to be stranger than the lack of "Living Loving Maid," though, since I've probably listened to more live renditions of "Heartbreaker" at this point...

This song I would also put in my top 5 Zep favorites.

In the early 80's when I was over at my friends house I heard this song playing on his sister's radio. I LOVED the guitar riff. So I asked her about half an hour later what group that was playing a while ago, and she just guessed that it was the Beatles not knowing exactly what song I was referring to. I knew that it was defintily NOT them. I could not get Jimmy's riff out of my head. Finally I got my answer and that was my second Zep song after Stairway. Another genius tune by Jimmy.

This is purely conjecture on my part, but as near as I can figure it, Jimmy Page's dislike for this song comes down to it fitting the mold of a 'commercial radio' song, the sort of single you would hear on AM radio. It's less than three minutes and has a straightforward verse-chorus pop structure. It even has backing vocals.

When Jimmy started Led Zeppelin, not only was he coming from a strained Yardbirds situation where Micki Most wanted to concentrate on hit singles, he also had spent years on the session circuit having to sublimate his ego and desires and just play what he was told...and fit it in the short time structures demanded at the time.

The last Yardbirds tour of the U.S. had opened his eyes to the rise of underground rock radio stations...stations that would play lengthy songs...and to an audience that was willing to listen.

So his initial concept for Led Zeppelin was for a band that wouldn't be forced into being a "hit-making machine" supplying product for the AM pop radio singles market. Hence their relectance to release singles and play the usual popstar promotional game. Led Zeppelin was one of the only bands at that time that DID NOT have an official fan-club.

So I think Jimmy's distaste towards LLL(if true) stems from the fact that it sounds like a radio single, and that's not the image he wanted the band to convey initially.

Just my two cents.

This is purely conjecture on my part, but as near as I can figure it, Jimmy Page's dislike for this song comes down to it fitting the mold of a 'commercial radio' song, the sort of single you would hear on AM radio. It's less than three minutes and has a straightforward verse-chorus pop structure. It even has backing vocals.

When Jimmy started Led Zeppelin, not only was he coming from a strained Yardbirds situation where Micki Most wanted to concentrate on hit singles, he also had spent years on the session circuit having to sublimate his ego and desires and just play what he was told...and fit it in the short time structures demanded at the time.

The last Yardbirds tour of the U.S. had opened his eyes to the rise of underground rock radio stations...stations that would play lengthy songs...and to an audience that was willing to listen.

So his initial concept for Led Zeppelin was for a band that wouldn't be forced into being a "hit-making machine" supplying product for the AM pop radio singles market. Hence their relectance to release singles and play the usual popstar promotional game. Led Zeppelin was one of the only bands at that time that DID NOT have an official fan-club.

So I think Jimmy's distaste towards LLL(if true) stems from the fact that it sounds like a radio single, and that's not the image he wanted the band to convey initially.

Just my two cents.

Makes sense.

Was it ever released as a single?

And if not, then that is probably why it is tied into Heartbreaker on the album. So that it could not be played alone by itself.

your best post- ever Strider

I love Livin' Lovin' Maid (She's Just A Woman) anyone who has ever covered it knows it is a t-total bear to get it right- especially the phrasing and "sound" of the song. I have not seen where Page used the word "hate" in regards to LLM. Sorry if I missed it. A lot going on guitar-wise on this song especially the wah. Likely the most incorrectly transcribed guitar tab ever.

On the first remaster-go-round I thought LLM showed up nicely. On the first box set-go-round as well. A certain sparkle on the higher register that had not caught my attention before. Countless non-hardcore LZ fans are not aware that HB and LLM are two tracks, rather every radio station I have ever heard plays them as one- grateful for this. I do have it as a B-side on a 45.

'93 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FhdHbB5x8

Video on the drumside of things going on LLM

This is my weirdness: I LOVE "LIVING LOVING MAID"!

It's everything that Led Zeppelin's detractors said the band lacked: Conciseness, swing, a good beat you could dance to, humour.

It is a short, snappy song that really moves. Again, it's what the band doesn't play that gives the song its groove. I loved it the first time I heard it. One of the few songs less than three minutes in the Led Zeppelin canon.

It also has some great lyrics that, unlike some of their mystical musings or recycled blues shouts, you could relate to everyday life.

"Alimony, alimony, paying your bills

When your conscience hits

You knock it back with pills"

Just the way Robert Plant begins the song, turning the word 'umbrella' into a four-syllable hook...um-ber-el-la. It tickles me pink...or purple.

In fact, I love Plant's phrasing and delivery on this whole song...the line "with her butler and her maid and her servants three" is a gem and listen to how he draws out the "Nooobody hears a single woooord you say".

Man(and women) can not live on mystical epics alone. There has to be some room for brevity and wit. Songs like "Living Loving Maid", "Dancing Days", "Hey Hey What Can I Do", "Misty Mountain Hop", "Rock and Roll", "Hot Dog", and "Boogie With Stu" add a large dose of fun to the Zeppelin oevre, and make the epics stand out even more in relief.

I always considered it a damn shame that the band never played it in concert...just as I could never fathom why "Good Times Bad Times" was never performed in its entirety, especially on their first couple of tours. It's one of the few misjudgments Jimmy Page had, in my opinion, if he truly was the reason for the song's banishment.

A quirky fact about this song: Because of the way "Living Loving Maid" would immediately follow "Heartbreaker" on the album with nary a pause, at most U.S. FM rock radio stations, whenever they played "Heartbreaker" the station would just let "Living Loving Maid" follow. As such, there are generations of us who grew up listening to the radio who always expect to hear "Living Loving Maid" after hearing "Heartbreaker" on the radio.

Strider, as usual it seems in my short time on here, is bang on the money.

Since I first listened to the second album, I've always associated LLM as coming sraight after Heartbreaker - in fact, on my first listen, I thought it was a strange add on to Heartbreaker!

As it is, I really like LLM. It is simple, yes, but it's catchy. And it's a bit of fun - same reason I like the Crunge and D'yer Maker.

Following on with the pavlovian idea, I always expect Misty Mountain Hop to come straight after Stairway, to the point that I get a shock when it doesn't after listening to it live or on Mothership!

MMH is another one of my favourites actually.

This song could have been omitted from the album since both Heartbreaker and LLM end pretty abruptly. The transition from Heartbreaker to Ramble On would have worked great. I wonder why they didn't do that if they didn't like it so much?

Maybe the song was kind of a Plan B for album sales? It probably didn't start out that way, but I just think it sounds really commercial.

I've never liked the lyrics and have always been confused by their overly sexist nature.

The solo is cool, being in the Jimmy Page style, but it reminds me more of a rock solo from today - it's over right when it's getting started. It still beats most throwaway solos you hear today that might last 4 bars - if that.

It's definitely not an overlooked song...it is always played right after "Heartbreaker" when on the radio. It is a fun song to play, and it's a catchy tune.

I first owned LZ II on prerecorded Cassette. Heartbreaker was the last track on side 1, Livin' Lovin' Maid followed Thank You which was the first track on side 2.

I love this song and its one of my top ten Zeppelin songs. Van Halen did a rip off of Zep's LLM with a song called Top Jimmy from 1984.

:huh:

"Top Jimmy" is nothing like "Living Loving Maid" in lyrical content, rhythm structure, pace, style...nothing. You must have some other Van Halen song in mind.

Now AC/DC did seemingly base half their songs on "LLM"'s swinging guitar-drums approach.

Archived