Livin' Lovin' Maid; what's the deal?

JGaul

This is my weirdness: I LOVE "LIVING LOVING MAID"!

It's everything that Led Zeppelin's detractors said the band lacked: Conciseness, swing, a good beat you could dance to, humour.

It is a short, snappy song that really moves. Again, it's what the band doesn't play that gives the song its groove. I loved it the first time I heard it. One of the few songs less than three minutes in the Led Zeppelin canon.

It also has some great lyrics that, unlike some of their mystical musings or recycled blues shouts, you could relate to everyday life.

"Alimony, alimony, paying your bills

When your conscience hits

You knock it back with pills"

Just the way Robert Plant begins the song, turning the word 'umbrella' into a four-syllable hook...um-ber-el-la. It tickles me pink...or purple.

In fact, I love Plant's phrasing and delivery on this whole song...the line "with her butler and her maid and her servants three" is a gem and listen to how he draws out the "Nooobody hears a single woooord you say".

Man(and women) can not live on mystical epics alone. There has to be some room for brevity and wit. Songs like "Living Loving Maid", "Dancing Days", "Hey Hey What Can I Do", "Misty Mountain Hop", "Rock and Roll", "Hot Dog", and "Boogie With Stu" add a large dose of fun to the Zeppelin oevre, and make the epics stand out even more in relief.

I always considered it a damn shame that the band never played it in concert...just as I could never fathom why "Good Times Bad Times" was never performed in its entirety, especially on their first couple of tours. It's one of the few misjudgments Jimmy Page had, in my opinion, if he truly was the reason for the song's banishment.

A quirky fact about this song: Because of the way "Living Loving Maid" would immediately follow "Heartbreaker" on the album with nary a pause, at most U.S. FM rock radio stations, whenever they played "Heartbreaker" the station would just let "Living Loving Maid" follow. As such, there are generations of us who grew up listening to the radio who always expect to hear "Living Loving Maid" after hearing "Heartbreaker" on the radio.

It's like a Pavlovian response.

I've never been a huge fan of the song, but you really laid out some good things about the song. I might have to give the song more of a listen now and see if I can find more things to love about it. That has happened with so many of Zeppelin's songs.

Van Halen did a rip off of Zep's LLM with a song called Top Jimmy from 1984.

Van Halen ripping off Led Zeppelin? Surely not...

I've read a few things about Jimmy, Robert, JPJ and Bonzo not liking ‘Livin' Lovin' Maid’, but I reckon it's just a fun little rock tune with plenty of energy

What sets it apart from most everything else they did is its commercial and somewhat cheesy feel... But I love it!... To me no matter how hard they try (if they were trying for real), nothing they did in 1969 will ever sound like anything else on pop AM radio... Its still '69 Zep complete with great vocals, a nasty twelve string guitar riff, tasteful solo, a great Bonzo groove and Jones doing his usual early days walking bass on the chorus.

Love Livin' Lovin' Maid! It is THE perfect follow-up to Heartbreaker, can't possibly listen to Heartbreaker and not LLM. In fact, just this afternoon Heartbreaker and LLM were the last songs I heard. I was driving home and they came on, I got home before LLM ended and I had to sit in the car until the end - I hate it when that happens.

• 1 year later...

LLM is about an aging NY groupie that Jimmy literally could not stand. In HAMMER OF THE GODS, Jimmy is quoted referencing the song: "Its about a degenerate old woman trying desperately to be young." He hated the song because it was about her. I'm surprised he wrote it...

Having listened to BBC sessions a lot, Heartbreaker for me is always followed by Since I've Been Loving You. They sound amazing back to back on that recording.

Living Loving Maid seems too commercial for Zeppelin. I wouldn't have minded them leaving it off the album.

It's probably a combination of the sound of the song and the horrid groupie that made JP dislike it and not want to play it in concert. He liked a concert to have good positive energy and maybe this piece gave him a negative energy vibe.

This is my weirdness: I LOVE "LIVING LOVING MAID"!

Man(and women) can not live on mystical epics alone. There has to be some room for brevity and wit. Songs like "Living Loving Maid", "Dancing Days", "Hey Hey What Can I Do", "Misty Mountain Hop", "Rock and Roll", "Hot Dog", and "Boogie With Stu" add a large dose of fun to the Zeppelin oevre, and make the epics stand out even more in relief.

I

A quirky fact about this song: Because of the way "Living Loving Maid" would immediately follow "Heartbreaker" on the album with nary a pause, at most U.S. FM rock radio stations, whenever they played "Heartbreaker" the station would just let "Living Loving Maid" follow. As such, there are generations of us who grew up listening to the radio who always expect to hear "Living Loving Maid" after hearing "Heartbreaker" on the radio.

It's like a Pavlovian response.

Well said, and so true to this day!

I love this song. Sure, it's simple, but it's catchy! The solo is great and Plant's singing is among the best he's done. "...but you keep on taaaaaalking...." I love it!

Sure ALS, Kashmir etc are more impressive but LLM always brings a smile on my face! I always turn up the volume and belt along!

One of my favorite moments during a Zep show in Japan is when JPJ starts the bass line to LLM (right after Celebration Day???) and Bonzo responds with "Oh no. Not that again." Classic!

Or when Robert references the LLM lyrics at Earl's Court May 24th show, by joking they wouldn't be playing anything "groovy" like that during the show.

Personally, I LOVE the song - always have! I remember when SNL would use it as the closing song from their "weekend update" portion of the show.

Walter Jr. loves it also, except he has his own lyrics ...."live it, love it, you know you want it!". :lol:

• 6 months later...

Livin Lovin Maid was the first Zep song I ever heard. I loved it. I think compared to the overall work by the band they would consider this song kind of like the way the beatles thought of "I want to hold your hand." The song served its purpose and put Zep on the charts so they could concentrate on developing their own unique body of work. For Page this song probably felt too commercial. They moved on and did not want to dwell on some of their earlier success. Just a thought.

In an interview Mr. Page dissed these lyrics as being "sarcastic". He said this was when he realized that Mr. Plant should take over lyrics.

I like the tune, it's catchy and quick. But the lyrics are hateful and mean. I read in one of those unauthorized biographies this song is about a record company's executive's ex-wife that went around schtupping all her ex's clients.

Archived