Earthquakes

zepscoda

38 minutes ago, redrum said:

My nephew in San Francisco said the recent quake centered near Berkeley woke him up. He was sleeping in his van and he thought someone was shaking the van.

I hadn't even heard about that until you posted about it , a magnitude 4.4, I'm sure members of my family out there felt it, as they live close to Berkeley. I remember the one in the bay area in the late 70s I was living in Fremont.

1 minute ago, Walter said:

Why doesn't the whole post show for me? I just see "I'm Back Bitches" with a link and below that is writing that is cut off. And when I click the link, the whole post (the writing in it) disappears?

1 minute ago, luvlz2 said:

Why doesn't the whole post show for me? I just see "I'm Back Bitches" with a link and below that is writing that is cut off. And when I click the link, the whole post (the writing in it) disappears?

1 hour ago, luvlz2 said:

I hadn't even heard about that until you posted about it , a magnitude 4.4, I'm sure members of my family out there felt it, as they live close to Berkeley. I remember the one in the bay area in the late 70s I was living in Fremont.

I went through the Loma Prieta quake in '89. In 2001 a 6.8 hit up here and it lasted 40 seconds. Epicenter was near Olympia. They keep predicting a huge one for Washington State, just like San Francisco.

• 3 months later...

Yikes!  The Hawaiian islands are beautiful but so volatile to volcanic activity as many are active.  Never been to the big island but have been to Oahu and the volcanic activity there isn't like the other islands.  Diamond Head on the far end of Waikiki Beach is pretty much dormant but things can change.  Not sure if actually part of Waikiki but on same shore.  Loved my visit to the island back in 2001!  It is expensive here as an island!

On 5/5/2018 at 12:14 PM, chef free said:

Wow!  6.9! Pele is angry...

On 5/5/2018 at 11:56 PM, SuperDave said:

Yikes!  The Hawaiian islands are beautiful but so volatile to volcanic activity as many are active.  Never been to the big island but have been to Oahu and the volcanic activity there isn't like the other islands.  Diamond Head on the far end of Waikiki Beach is pretty much dormant but things can change.  Not sure if actually part of Waikiki but on same shore.  Loved my visit to the island back in 2001!  It is expensive here as an island!

http://www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts/public-map-of-fissures-road-blocks-and-subdivisions.html

Edited by The Rover

Is this the end of Halemaʻumaʻu Crater’s lava lake?

In a series of events that started with the collapse of Puu Oo’s crater floor on April 30, 2018 Halemaumau Crater’s lava lake has been receding. On Sunday, May 6, it was recorded that the lava lake dropped 722 feet.

UCSG-lava-crater-sinking.jpg

The lava draining from Halemaumau Crater can last be compared to the time it drained in 1924, and the lava fell below the water table, causing earthquakes, explosions and crater collapses. That lasted for two weeks, and the lake disappeared for 85 years before returning to the summit.

halemaumau_1924eruptio_USGS.jpg

Edited by The Rover

I would not want to live near here.  They are expecting a major eruption/explosion of this volcano shortly.  Something like this can't be pinned down precisely unfortunately.  For now it's the lava flows which are doing so much damage overall.  Very sad for all those who have lost their homes and had their lives turned upside down.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...