Ipod discussion.

thezepguy

Hey, do you have an MP3 player of any type? Well, here you can discuss it, questions, issues, music on it, anything!

I have a question that I'm curious as to see people's answers:

Do you think that having an 160 gb Ipod, is overkill, or a necessity? Is the capability of having 40,000 songs in your pocket pointless, or useful?

I've been looking to buy one for a while now, using Craigslist and such, and when I talk to people I know about wanting one they usually say "Why do you need so much storage?"

The short answer is: So I can have a lot of music, not just from my favorite artists, but from artists that I'm not a big fan of, just to have a large music collection.

Discuss, I guess.

If you don't have ADHD it would be great!!! Ha ha....With all the access to music on the web and CD collection I personally would not need to have it. I update my I Pod regularly and save to different playlists. I am sure this is of no help to you....sorry.

Hey, do you have an MP3 player of any type? Well, here you can discuss it, questions, issues, music on it, anything!

I have a question that I'm curious as to see people's answers:

Do you think that having an 160 gb Ipod, is overkill, or a necessity? Is the capability of having 40,000 songs in your pocket pointless, or useful?

I've been looking to buy one for a while now, using Craigslist and such, and when I talk to people I know about wanting one they usually say "Why do you need so much storage?"

The short answer is: So I can have a lot of music, not just from my favorite artists, but from artists that I'm not a big fan of, just to have a large music collection.

Discuss, I guess.

If you don't have ADHD it would be great!!! Ha ha....With all the access to music on the web and CD collection I personally would not need to have it. I update my I Pod regularly and save to different playlists. I am sure this is of no help to you....sorry.

So, what you do is change the music on your Ipod whenever you want something new? I have a friend who does that..

I can understand that a little bit, but personally, if I wanted to not listen to something...I just wouldn't, but it would still be nice to scroll past it each time.

Mine is 160 gb. It may seem like overkill, but my music collection is constantly expanding, and it was annoying to have to go back and delete stuff from my old mp3 player when I got new albums. I have a playlist of about 700 of my favorite songs that I like to put on shuffle just to have in the background sometimes.

Mine is 160 gb. It may seem like overkill, but my music collection is constantly expanding, and it was annoying to have to go back and delete stuff from my old mp3 player when I got new albums. I have a playlist of about 700 of my favorite songs that I like to put on shuffle just to have in the background sometimes.

Are you able to fit your entire music collection on your Ipod? Can you also fit it on your computer (Itunes, I assume), if not, then how do you handle that aspect?

It's not overkill. I have most of my music collection with me all the time, I only really listen to maybe 10% of it, but it's nice to have it. I use my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) as my music player. Total of about 24 gigabytes (compressed). My music database is well over 100gb losless FLAC files.

I assume that the iPod has built in support for apple lossless? That would be a good use for the extra space.

It's not overkill. I have most of my music collection with me all the time, I only really listen to maybe 10% of it, but it's nice to have it. I use my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) as my music player. Total of about 24 gigabytes (compressed). My music database is well over 100gb losless FLAC files.

I assume that the iPod has built in support for apple lossless? That would be a good use for the extra space.

What exactly is apple lossless?

Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) is an audio codec (format) that is lossless. That means that data/sound isn't lost when it is encoded (mp3 loses data/sound). When you rip a cd in lossless It is an identical copy of the data on the cd. A more faithful reproduction of the original.

Some people can't discern a difference between high bitrate mp3 (or m4a) and lossless. It's all pretty subjective and all comes down to personal preference.

Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) is an audio codec (format) that is lossless. That means that data/sound isn't lost when it is encoded (mp3 loses data/sound). When you rip a cd in lossless It is an identical copy of the data on the cd. A more faithful reproduction of the original.

Some people can't discern a difference between high bitrate mp3 (or m4a) and lossless. It's all pretty subjective and all comes down to personal preference.

I've used that once, I believe. Doesn't it take up a lot more room though, than a compressed file?

I'm thinking about getting a 160gb ipod classic or an ipod touch for my birthday. I just have the 2nd gen ipod nano in pink & I have had it for years. I still have time to think about it..

I'm thinking about getting a 160gb ipod classic or an ipod touch for my birthday. I just have the 2nd gen ipod nano in pink & I have had it for years. I still have time to think about it..

Oh & a great program to use for your ipod is sharepod. I quit buying itunes cards years ago. It's nice to download mp3s for free.

Sorry for the double post.

If you decide to get one, I'd suggest the classic.

The Touch has a lot less storage, and isn't all that great if you don't care about apps/web-surfing/etc.

My daughter only listens to music via her phone or i-pod. I heard it and immediately thought what a load of shit, wheres the top end, where is the bass, and the distortion when the volume is raised is horrendous. Give me my home hi fi anytime I have about 5 pairs of headphones ranging from £15 to £180, and none of them give the clarity or bass of my speakers at home.

I have a 200 gigabyte music library, and wanted to fit as much as possible onto an 8 gigabyte iPod Touch. I added select songs (mostly Led Zeppelin) to a playlist. When my iPod syncs it only syncs from this playlist, and convert all audio files down to 128kbps so I can fit as much on as possible. With my cheap noise-isolation headphones I can't really discern between 128kbps and lossles audio, so it's a great solution for me.

My daughter only listens to music via her phone or i-pod. I heard it and immediately thought what a load of shit, wheres the top end, where is the bass, and the distortion when the volume is raised is horrendous. Give me my home hi fi anytime I have about 5 pairs of headphones ranging from £15 to £180, and none of them give the clarity or bass of my speakers at home.

I wouldn't be surprised if the poor sound/distortion was caused by eq settings or the bitrate of the music. Sure, there are headphones that sound like crap, but there's plenty that sound great. In my experience I've found that more expensive headphones tend to be more mid heavy. I like my headphones with bass and top. $20 JVC headphones with the foam earpieces sound amazing and give me the best performance.

Headphones are never going to be as good as a solid set of full sized speakers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the poor sound/distortion was caused by eq settings or the bitrate of the music. Sure, there are headphones that sound like crap, but there's plenty that sound great. In my experience I've found that more expensive headphones tend to be more mid heavy. I like my headphones with bass and top. $20 JVC headphones with the foam earpieces sound amazing and give me the best performance.

I don't believe it !!!!!! someone agrees with me, thank you.

I really liked the BOSE headphones. I tried them on last weekend at Best Buy & immediately fell in love. They are pricey but, one pair would last a long time. It's on my Christmas wish list.

I wouldn't be surprised if the poor sound/distortion was caused by eq settings or the bitrate of the music. Sure, there are headphones that sound like crap, but there's plenty that sound great. In my experience I've found that more expensive headphones tend to be more mid heavy. I like my headphones with bass and top. $20 JVC headphones with the foam earpieces sound amazing and give me the best performance. Headphones are never going to be as good as a solid set of full sized speakers.
My i-pod is loaded at the highest quality bit rate possible. I also have JVC headphones like the ones you describe that cost £15. They are so good I went back and bought two more pairs thinking that they must be priced wrong. They are as good as a pair of Senheisers I paid £50 for.

Archived