Please recommend your favorite medleys in zep's live.

manymanyman

Medley, the word I first met in the zep's CD cover of BBC sessions. I have found that zep enjoyed to make some medleys in such songs as, HMMTs, WLL, DaC, NQ. Could you please recommend any good medleys in houndreds of zep's live? Thanks in advance.

Edited by manymanyman

I think of all of the various medleys, the number one of all time has to be "How Many More Times" from Memphis in 1970/04/17.

All of the Japan 1971 medleys are great, and monsters as well. But the Memphis 70 version is completely unscripted and unexpected.

HMMT from Bath 1970 has a decent one, but it honestly isn't as good as the HMMT from Memphis. The Long Tall Sally encore at Bath is a great version though.

San Francisco 1969/04/27 is a legendary show, and both the As Long As I Have You and How Many More Times medleys are amazing.

Blueberry Hill 1970/09/04 has a medley in both Whole Lotta Love and Communication Breakdown which are both stunners.

1972 has a great medley in Whole Lotta Love at Seattle 1972/06/19. 1973 was a more structured medley, but the ones from Europe from March are all great. Vienna 3/16, Munich 3/17, Berlin 3/19, Hamburg 3/21, Essen 3/22.

For 1975, the last year of anything resembling a medley, I'd go with Whole Lotta Love from Long Beach 1975/03/12.

The ones cookieshoes lists are all great. You can't go wrong with any of those, especially the Sept. 29, 1971 Osaka show. The WLL-medley is stellar, with "I Gotta Know", "Twist & Shout", "Fortune Teller" among the usual suspects.

But I have to also mention another great show for medleys: the evening show of September 19, 1970. This concert is chock-full of great medleys.

It starts with an amazing WLL medley with some raving versions of "Dust My Broom", "Bottle Up and Go", and "Some Other Guy" practically exploding from the speakers.

Then feast your ears on the "Out on the Tiles-Communication Breakdown-Gallows Pole" triple-bill!!! OOTT is an even better version than the 9.4.70 Forum...Plant hits every high note!

Oh, but the band ain't through with you yet...the next encore brings forth maybe the greatest surprise of the night, and possibly their career: a full-speed ahead, all-out sonic attack on "The Girl Can't Help It-Talking About You-Twenty Flight Rock". Rarities all.

Given the band's acknowledged love of Little Richard, I wished they had covered him as often as they did Elvis and Ricky Nelson. "The Girl Can't Help It" is killer...at least we have this one version. I would kill for a Soundboard of 9.19.70!!!

The night finishes off with the HMMT medley...which according to Plant's "Plantation" here, was supposed to have been played earlier in the set.

So there you go...four, count 'em FOUR medleys in a row to close out the night!

Thank you! It's clear that good medley stuffs mainly concentrated in the lives before 1975.

Yes, and to be even more pedantic and critically precise, I would say that the 1973 European tour was the last time Led Zeppelin performed good classic medleys. By the 73 US tour, they were pretty much eliminated, save for a couple of "I'm Goin' Down"s appended to the standard Whole Lotta Love-Boogie Mama medley.

Edited by Strider

• 2 years later...

Whole Lotta Love - Tokyo 9/24/1971. [Medley: Let That Boy Boogie ~ Cocaine Blues ~ Rave On ~ Your Time Is Gonna Come ~ I'm A Man ~ The Hunter ~ Hello Mary Lou ~ Pretty Woman ~ How Many More Times].

Such a great and possibly the most unique medley with the only performance of Your Time Is Gonna Come!

Communication Breakdown - Los Angeles 9/4/1970. [Medley: Good Times Bad Times ~ For What It's Worth ~ I Saw Her Standing There].

One of the greatest 10 minutes of live Zeppelin IMO.

How Many More Times - Montreux 3/7/1970. [Medley: Boogie Chillun' ~ Bottle Up 'N Go ~ My Baby Left Me ~ Jenny Jenny ~ The Lemon Song]

One of my favorites for a long time. Though San Francisco 4/27/1969 is tied with it IMO.

Whole Lotta Love - Southampton University 1/22/1973. [Medley: Everybody Needs Someone To Love ~ Let That Boy Boogie ~ (You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care ~ Let's Have A Party ~ I Can't Quit You Baby].

Another favorite of mine!

But I have to also mention another great show for medleys: the evening show of September 19, 1970. This concert is chock-full of great medleys.

It starts with an amazing WLL medley with some raving versions of "Dust My Broom", "Bottle Up and Go", and "Some Other Guy" practically exploding from the speakers.

Then feast your ears on the "Out on the Tiles-Communication Breakdown-Gallows Pole" triple-bill!!! OOTT is an even better version than the 9.4.70 Forum...Plant hits every high note!

Oh, but the band ain't through with you yet...the next encore brings forth maybe the greatest surprise of the night, and possibly their career: a full-speed ahead, all-out sonic attack on "The Girl Can't Help It-Talking About You-Twenty Flight Rock". Rarities all.

Given the band's acknowledged love of Little Richard, I wished they had covered him as often as they did Elvis and Ricky Nelson. "The Girl Can't Help It" is killer...at least we have this one version. I would kill for a Soundboard of 9.19.70!!!

The night finishes off with the HMMT medley...which according to Plant's "Plantation" here, was supposed to have been played earlier in the set.

So there you go...four, count 'em FOUR medleys in a row to close out the night!

:you_rock:

One of the reasons I love the medleys is that when they are playing they seem to be having so much fun, for the most part they seem unscripted and are fly by the seat of the pants - I have no idea who's leading is it Plant (i.e trying to get Ramble On off the ground on the Pb boot) or is it Page or even Bonzo from the back.

Jonesy is such an accomplished musician he can keep up with anything. In any case for any medley from 1970 is going to be a good one!

• 2 weeks later...

One of the reasons I love the medleys is that when they are playing they seem to be having so much fun, for the most part they seem unscripted and are fly by the seat of the pants - I have no idea who's leading is it Plant (i.e trying to get Ramble On off the ground on the Pb boot) or is it Page or even Bonzo from the back.

Jonesy is such an accomplished musician he can keep up with anything. In any case for any medley from 1970 is going to be a good one!

:goodpost:

Led Zeppelin - 1970-06-28
Venue: Royal Bath & West Showground
City: Shepton Mallet
11 How Many More Times
- Rice Pudding intro
- Mr. Soul
- Down By The River
- Boogie Chillun'
- The Hunter
- Honey Bee
- Long Distance Call
- Boogie Chillun/Boogie Mama/Hideaway
- El Paso Blues
- The Lemon Song
- I Need Your Love Tonight
- That's All Right, Mama
14 Long Tall Sally
- Say Mama
- Johnny B. Goode
- That's Alright, Mama

Let's face it...they are all great! I relish each and every one. But since June 25, 1972 was my first concert and hence, the first time I experienced what a Led Zeppelin medley entailed (I hadn't purchased a live bootleg until after I saw them and so had no clue what was in store for me), that one will always be special in my heart. It pains me still that Jimmy cut out so much of the medley from the official HTWWW release. OKay, I can kind of understand Jimmy cutting "Heartbreak Hotel"...it is sort of slow and clunky. But cutting the rip-roaring "Slow Down"?!?!? Why, Jimmy, why?

And don't even get me started on his cutting the "Louie Louie"/"Thank You" encore...grrrrrr.

• 4 years later...
7 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Does anything beat the 9/19/1970 medleys? I need to go back through Japan 71 again, but I honestly think this show has the best run of medleys.

In terms of shows, MSG 70 Evening show is undoubtedly at the top of the list. The show ends in medley after medley after medley... can’t really beat it.

Personally, my favorite medley of their career is the Organ Solo medley at Seattle in 1972. The way the crowd explodes as they move from song to song is magical! Whole Lotta Love containing “Only the Lonely” from the same night is also great!

Another favorite (outside of Japan ‘71) would be Memphis ‘70 HMMT. The way the band soars above the hostilities with the police and is just absolutely on fire makes for an extremely entertaining listen.

• 8 months later...

So I heard Elvis's "I Beg of You" on the radio this morning. I'm thinking wow this would have fit in any medley between 1970 and 73. Its structure is similar to "Mess of the Blues" and "Baby I Don't Care." But near as I can tell Robert never sang it. At least not in the 200-odd shows that are available. Well I guess he couldn't work EVERY song he ever heard into a medley! 🙃

On 10/12/2020 at 7:23 AM, Zep Hed said:

So I heard Elvis's "I Beg of You" on the radio this morning. I'm thinking wow this would have fit in any medley between 1970 and 73. Its structure is similar to "Mess of the Blues" and "Baby I Don't Care." But near as I can tell Robert never sang it. At least not in the 200-odd shows that are available. Well I guess he couldn't work EVERY song he ever heard into a medley! 🙃

I definitely think it could've worked in the medleys. I've always been surprised that they never tried (to my knowledge at least) "Love Me." Plant has said that it's the one he singled out as his favourite Elvis song when they met him.

1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I definitely think it could've worked in the medleys. I've always been surprised that they never tried (to my knowledge at least) "Love Me." Plant has said that it's the one he singled out as his favourite Elvis song when they met him.

"Love Me" at the Southampton 73 soundcheck but yes not in performance that I know of either.

• 2 weeks later...