local cuisine!

zosodude13

just out of interest... it would be kinda cool to see some the "local foods" we have represented here on the board... example, here in Upstate, NY

The Garbage Plate

garbage%20plate.jpg

this one is 2 cheese burgers with meat sauce and mustard

~haut-cuisine_in-rochester-n-y_is-the-garbage_plate.jpg

2 hot dogs with everything

-2 hot dogs or ham/cheese burgers

-"Homefries" (small little square french fries)

-mac salad

-with meat sauce, mustard and onions available

This was "invented" here in Rochester NY. It can be found around the USA as a "sloppy plate" or a "trash plate". But this is the original and the best you can get!!!

White Hots

zweigles%203%20lb%20qtr%20lb%20white06.jpg

Unfortionatly, I could not find a good picture of a cooked white hot. These are different because the meat is pork instead of beef, like a regular hot dog. White's are not as spicey as reds, but the flavor is richer and subtle so it goes great with just about anything. This are called "poppers" because when you grill them, the caseings "pop" open and that when they're just about done. These are also available to go on your garbage plate. So next time your up in Rochester, be aware, you WILL be asked "red or white?" as any BBQ.

Beef on Weck

beefonweck.jpg

This is an expanditure of a roast beef sandwitch. The beef is dipped in Au Jus RIGHT BEOFRE it is served to you! The "weck" is for the kimmelweck roll with pretzel salt on top. Add horseraddish and your good to go. The messier the better!

One of the very few kinds of local food I can actually eat...

HUNGARIAN FISHERMAN'S SOUP

1˝ lb whole small whitefish, cleaned

2 qt water

2 C onion, chopped

1 C sweet green pepper, chopped

1 medium tomato, chopped

3 bay leaves

2 T Hungarian paprika

3 lb fillet of carp, pike, sturgeon, and/or catfish

1 T flour

ž C sour cream

salt to taste

dried hot cherry peppers and lemon slices, as a garnish

First, prepare Court Bouillon. Boil the small fish - heads, bones, skin, fins and all - in the water, together onion, green pepper, tomato and bay leaves, for one hour. Strain this mixture to remove the larger bones etc., and then puree using a food mill. Return the bouillon to a large soup pot, heat not quite to the boiling point, and stir in the paprika. Do not overheat, or the paprika will turn grainy. Add the fish fillets, cut into two-finger thick pieces. Cook gently for 10 minutes.

Shortly before serving, in a small saucepan combine 1 C of the fish broth with the flour and sour cream, stirring until smooth. Fold this mixture back into the soup, stir gently for another minute or so, salt to taste, then serve with the hot peppers and lemon slices on the side, together with bread and white wine.

(Adapted from Gundel's Hungarian Cookbook.)

And a rather pretentious illustration:

0436halaszle468.jpg

Holy smokes, great thread...but wow, I think just looking at that garbage plate is clogging my arteries!

I've always had that feeling too :D But, man, its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!! makes a great midnight snack! except the place is not exactly the safest place at night... :unsure: my dad told me back in the 1970's that the only time he ever feared for his life was when he went into Nick Taho's (the place to get a garbage plate) at 2 in the morning... he told me he got something to go and he remembered seeing in the kitchen all 4 cooks with handguns on their belts

Haggis.jpg

1 sheep's lung (illegal in the U.S.; may be omitted if not available)

1 sheep's stomach

1 sheep heart

1 sheep liver

1/2 lb fresh suet (kidney leaf fat is preferred)

3/4 cup oatmeal (the ground type, NOT the Quaker Oats type!)

3 onions, finely chopped

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

3/4 cup stock

Wash lungs and stomach well, rub with salt and rinse. Remove membranes and excess fat. Soak in cold salted water for several hours. Turn stomach inside out for stuffing.

Cover heart and liver with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Chop heart and coarsely grate liver. Toast oatmeal in a skillet on top of the stove, stirring frequently, until golden. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Loosely pack mixture into stomach, about two-thirds full. Remember, oatmeal expands in cooking.

Press any air out of stomach and truss securely. Put into boiling water to cover. Simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, adding more water as needed to maintain water level. Prick stomach several times with a sharp needle when it begins to swell; this keeps the bag from bursting. Place on a hot platter, removing trussing strings. Serve with a spoon. Ceremoniously served with "neeps, tatties and nips" -- mashed turnips, mashed potatoes, nips of whiskey.

Edit.....its called haggis by the way>

Good frickin' gracious ya'll are a meat eatin' bunch.

Goat stomachs, roast beef, sausages, pig ribs, cow patties....

:o

~666

I'm not, but that's my local cuisine...

we also have the "feijoada" (black beans, pig feet, pig ears, pig ribs, pig knee, bacon, sausage, jerked beef...) accompanying rice, manioc flour, frie Wild Cabbage and orange...

feijoada2.jpg

O' course, before, we drink our local cocktail "Caipirinha" (cachaça, lemon juice, sugar and ice)

cachaca.jpg

Proudly representing YORKSHIRE in ENGLAND!!!! WE HAVE:

fish_chips.jpg

FISH AND CHIPS!!!!! :yay: Delish!!!

I really fancy a chip butty right now...which is basically chips (american's might call them fries) in a sandwich. And yes we do put salt and vinegar on our chips....and it does taste amazing!! Two of our American friends came and stayed and we made them try it. Their exact words were: "I think we have found our new favourite sandwich!!" :lol:

ROASTED BEAVER (Roadkill)

Needed are:

One 25 to 30 lb beaver (save the tail for beaver-tail soup)

Two cups flour

One cup bacon drippings

Salt and pepper to taste

3 or 4 bay leaves

3 or 4 medium onions, chopped.

First, scoop up a beaver. Skin it and take it the skin your local trading post. It's as good as cash. After skinning the beaver, remove all fat. Cut into serving size pieces. Soak in salted water overnight. Rinse meat well in cold water and drain. Roll meat in flour. Brown in skillet with bacon drippings and season with salt and pepper. Place in roaster alternately with bay leaves and onions. Add a small amount of water to remaining drippings in skillet and pour over meat. Roast at 350 degrees for 2 and one half hours or until tender. Uncover and brown 15 minutes before serving. Goes great with a California Merlot.

Sorry no pic, not that common in Scotland.

Notice I refrained from making comments like

I prefer my beaver uncooked...............oops!

Archived