local cuisine!

zosodude13

Straight_in_and_out.jpg

Yeah! Thanks for finding the pic. This was the first thing that came to my mind. Forget the beaches, the sunshine, the traffic and Sunset strip. Nothing says Southern California like a good old In-N-Out burger! When I talk to friends that have moved away this is what they miss the most.

Pav Bhaji

Ingredients

8 pavs (squarish soft buns about 4" x 5" size)

butter to shallow fry.

For Bhaji

1 capsicum chopped fine

2 onions chopped fine

2 tomatoes chopped fine

2 1/2 cups chopped mixed vegetables (french beans, carrots, cauliflower, potota, bottle gourds, etc.) 1/2 cup shelled peas

2 tbsp. butter

2 tsp. pavbhaji masala

1 1/2 tsp. chilli powder

1/4 tsp. turmeric powder

1/2 tsp. sugar

salt to taste

1 cup water (in which vegetables were boiled)

1/2 tsp. each ginger grated, garlic crushed

juice of 1/2 lemon.

To Garnish

1 tbsp. coriander chopped

1 onion chopped

small pieces of lemon

Method

Pressure cook mixed vegetables and peas till well done.

Mash them coarsely after draining.

Heat butter in a pan.

Add ginger-garlice, capsicum, onion, tomatoes.

Fry for 2-3 minutes till very soft.

Add pavbhaji masala, chilli powder, turmeric, salt, sugar and fry further 2-3 minutes.

Bring to boil.

Simmer till gravy is thick, stirring and mashing pieces with masala, in between.

Add lemon juice, stir.

Garnish with chopped coriander and a block of butter.

For Pavs

Slit pavs horizontally leaving one edge attached. (To open like a book).

Apply butter (as desired) and roast open on a griddle till hot and soft with the surface crisp on both sides.

Serve hot with bhaji, a piece of lemon and chopped onion.

Making time : 30 mins. (excl. pressure cooking time)

Serve : 4 (2 pavs each)

Sirloin

sirloin.jpg

Roast beef, usually larded, with a thick sauce made of carrot, parsley root and cream, served with dumplings. Often served with a cream topping, a teaspoon of cranberry compote and slice of lemon. (Wikipedia)

In general Czech cuisine can be described as follows: meat, meat, dumplings, meat, sauce, gravy, meat, dumplings, beer, dumplings, meat, sauce, gravy, sauerkraut, fat, dumplings, meat, fat, sauerkraut, beer, meat,.....

....and of course various cakes, desserts, and many sweet versions of dumplings....

Did I mention meat and beer?

Sirloin

sirloin.jpg

Roast beef, usually larded, with a thick sauce made of carrot, parsley root and cream, served with dumplings. Often served with a cream topping, a teaspoon of cranberry compote and slice of lemon. (Wikipedia)

In general Czech cuisine can be described as follows: meat, meat, dumplings, meat, sauce, gravy, meat, dumplings, beer, dumplings, meat, sauce, gravy, sauerkraut, fat, dumplings, meat, fat, sauerkraut, beer, meat,.....

....and of course various cakes, desserts, and many sweet versions of dumplings....

Did I mention meat and beer?

:lol: My god, that's pythonesque.

Not that I'd ever say that meat, beer or dumplings were bad things.

And I'm all about cranberry compote, cranberries are big in New England as well.

Actually, sounds a bit like what I had yesterday when I went to Ikea and ate Swedish meatballs in gravy with lingonberry compote. Wasn't bad.

:lol: My god, that's pythonesque.

That's because I exaggerate.

Well, not really...

foto1.jpg

The funny thing is....this thread made me think about the whole thing more deeply, and I realized that among the most typical examples of Czech cuisine, you can find...Wiener Schnitzel, Hungarian Goulash, or Apple Strudel...

That's because I exaggerate.

Well, not really...

foto1.jpg

The funny thing is....this thread made me think about the whole thing more deeply, and I realized that among the most typical examples of Czech cuisine, you can find...Wiener Schnitzel, Hungarian Goulash, or Apple Strudel...

You mean that they are all from different regions? That's pretty typical in the U.S.- everything that's here is from one old country or another. I've always enjoyed the diversity of foreign cuisine available here.

One thing I can't tell- do you like all the meat and dumplings? I know you like the beer. drunk.gif:P

If you don't like your local cuisine, you wouldn't be the only one, I'm at odds with the local Boston Cuisine. Lots of fresh seafood- but that does me no good, don't like fish (other than sushi, oddly enough) and rest of it is italian type stuff. S'okay, but I like what I get in California better.

You mean that they are all from different regions?

Partly, but the fact is that I didn't mean anything, it was simply a statement. I've never called Wiener Schniztel a 'Wiener Schnitzel', for me it's simply 'řízek'. They call it Wiener Schnitzel in Austria (and in the rest of the world), but who knows where it comes from. It's simply a meal typical for both this region and the other one, which is not that surprising.

One thing I can't tell- do you like all the meat and dumplings?

No.

But I love apple strudel. No one makes it better than my grandma.

800px-Får_i_kål.jpg

Fårikål

"from wikipedia"

Fårikål is a traditional Norwegian dish, consisting of pieces of lamb's meat with bone, cabbage, whole black pepper and a little wheat flour, cooked for several hours in a casserole, traditionally served with potatoes boiled in their jackets. The dish is typically prepared in early autumn, after the slaughtering of the year's young lambs. Some people prefer mutton for this dish. Fårikål is originally a dish from the Western part of Norway, but is now enjoyed in all parts of the country.

Fårikål literally means “sheep in cabbage”.

In the 1970s, fårikål was elected national dish of Norway by a popular radio programme.

The last Thursday of September is considered the national fårikål day of Norway.

link to video

Lutefisk of course

Lutefisk.jpg

from wikipedia:

Lutefisk (lutfisk) (pronounced [lʉːtəfɪsk] in Norway, [lʉːtfɪsk] in Sweden and the Swedish-speaking areas in Finland) is a traditional dish of the Nordic countries made from stockfish (air-dried whitefish) and soda lye (lut). In Sweden, it is called lutfisk, while in Finland it is known as lipeäkala. Its name literally means "lye fish", owing to the fact that it is made with caustic soda or potash lye.

wiki link

I don't like any of theese dishes.

lutefisk I actually hate with every fiber of my body.

No.

But I love apple strudel. No one makes it better than my grandma.

Get the recipe! Those things should be passed down. My grandmother made strawberry rhubarb pie something fierce, but the recipe died with her.

-_-

Pav Bhaji

Ingredients

8 pavs (squarish soft buns about 4" x 5" size)

butter to shallow fry.

For Bhaji

1 capsicum chopped fine

2 onions chopped fine

2 tomatoes chopped fine

2 1/2 cups chopped mixed vegetables (french beans, carrots, cauliflower, potota, bottle gourds, etc.) 1/2 cup shelled peas

2 tbsp. butter

2 tsp. pavbhaji masala

1 1/2 tsp. chilli powder

1/4 tsp. turmeric powder

1/2 tsp. sugar

salt to taste

1 cup water (in which vegetables were boiled)

1/2 tsp. each ginger grated, garlic crushed

juice of 1/2 lemon.

To Garnish

1 tbsp. coriander chopped

1 onion chopped

small pieces of lemon

Method

Pressure cook mixed vegetables and peas till well done.

Mash them coarsely after draining.

Heat butter in a pan.

Add ginger-garlice, capsicum, onion, tomatoes.

Fry for 2-3 minutes till very soft.

Add pavbhaji masala, chilli powder, turmeric, salt, sugar and fry further 2-3 minutes.

Bring to boil.

Simmer till gravy is thick, stirring and mashing pieces with masala, in between.

Add lemon juice, stir.

Garnish with chopped coriander and a block of butter.

For Pavs

Slit pavs horizontally leaving one edge attached. (To open like a book).

Apply butter (as desired) and roast open on a griddle till hot and soft with the surface crisp on both sides.

Serve hot with bhaji, a piece of lemon and chopped onion.

Making time : 30 mins. (excl. pressure cooking time)

Serve : 4 (2 pavs each)

I absolutely love Indian cuisine! I have recently got a masala expecially prepared for pav bhaji from my aunt who's a regular visitor of the subcontinent...

I absolutely love Indian cuisine! I have recently got a masala expecially prepared for pav bhaji from my aunt who's a regular visitor of the subcontinent...

Oh that's great, it makes for a lovely lunch on a saturday afternoons.

Archived