Coverdale /Page cut short

weslgarlic

I remember that my expectations where low for this project to be honest. While I liked the Firm and Outrider, I felt they really lacked "balls". To my ears Jimmy's guitars just didnt have the punch it did at his peak. Kind of like he had lost his mojo or something.

But then I heard 'Shake my Tree' for the first time. I was shocked to be honest. It was such a stark contrast to the Firm and Outrider that I had to let it sink in for a bit. Then I got the album the day it was released and didnt hear a clunker on it. Every song rocked IMO. It was refreshing. And it caused quite a stir on the local rock stations. I still love the album and rank it as one of the best the three guys have done post Zeppelin.

• 2 weeks later...

yes I am new-sh and no beef with anyone here but when someone makes comments on Jimmy Page's opinions or feelings in a way that is ocntrary to public domain comments made by the man himself about the album and relationship with Coverdale, it does tend to grab peoples attention because it suggests some kind of contact with the inner sanctum, which you may or may not have i really don't care, i am not interested in that just the reason why you would 'believe' that Jimmy is not proud of this project when it kicks the crap out of everytihng he has done since 1976 in my opinion, and by most accounts he appaers to have enjoyed it all being back 'in his element' againafter so many years. Like i said before, maybe you mean you don't think he should be proud of it, which would be fine, but your post comes across like you were passing comment on his own actual feelings about the album, which is kind of presumptuos or even arrogant if it isnt then backed up up in any way.

As far as i can see the only possible sign he was not happy with the CP project was he ditched his first and only really viable post Zep hard-rock creative partnership and instead went running back to Plant, a notoriously fickle and flighty dilettante, to play bizzarely rearranged Zep-lite (in a lineup that was not even the closest available approximation of the band who created that music in the first plpace) and then create a new album under heavily compromised circumstances, where his primal need to rock out appeared to have been kept on a very tight leash by i-think-i-know-who. whereas he could have been having it large all that time, creating new hard rock with another repsected vocalist who could even write songs too, by which i mean music and not just the words. Is all this what you had in mind, if so i agree it does seem to suggest he wasnt truly proud of the album, but it would be wrong to assume this because as we all know he seems to only really be able to get motivated when he is back in an approxmate version of his true love. So i think his heart was ruling his head here which is fair enough but, that doesnt mean he wasn't proud of the album.

and maybe also he was embarrased by coverdales' juvenile onstage potty mouth, but that has nothing to do with the album which is what we are talking about here, anyway if this is what you had in mind as indication that he wasnt proud of C/P then yes it appears to make sense

Major Major new-sh.

I still want a Coverdale Page 2 album because the music itself was very very good on it

I wouldnt mind a second colaboration between these two guys either, a Coverdale/Page 2 so to speak. But I havent heard anything (at least in the music press) that would bring my hope's up of it happining. Its kind of like what Page has been saying of late about the never was post o2 Led Zeppelin follow up show/shows, you sorta get the hint it probably aint going to happen after five years without much of even a wisper about it from anyone.

And thats five years, C/P came out in 93, closing in on twenty years no less. But I'm someone who says never say never. And from what I've read and seen Page and Covedale are still good pals after all these years. They both can still perform so...never say never. Heck the Zepp o2 show took nearly 20 years after their last performance to happen.

I wouldnt mind a second colaboration between these two guys either, a Coverdale/Page 2 so to speak. But I havent heard anything (at least in the music press) that would bring my hope's up of it happining. Its kind of like what Page has been saying of late about the never was post o2 Led Zeppelin follow up show/shows, you sorta get the hint it probably aint going to happen after five years without much of even a wisper about it from anyone.

And thats five years, C/P came out in 93, closing in on twenty years no less. But I'm someone who says never say never. And from what I've read and seen Page and Covedale are still good pals after all these years. They both can still perform so...never say never. Heck the Zepp o2 show took nearly 20 years after their last performance to happen.

I'm not trying to be smart, but when did you last see Coverdale live? He's really not very good any more. Seriously.

"I'm not trying to be smart, but when did you last see Coverdale live? He's really not very good any more. Seriously."

I saw some of his more recent shows and agreed his voice is not what it once was (he is getting up there). But is it "hang it up" bad? I dont think so.

I also believe he's been dealing with vocal cord/throat issues for years now. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I have a "boot" of one of the Japan shows, in good quality for an audience recording. You can hear every instrument well, even the bass to a degree which is unusual for audience sources. Coverdale pulled off the C/P tunes well, yet he sounded a little flat and strained. When it came to Kashmir, In my time of Dying and Black Dog-he honestly sounded pretty rough. You can't judge their entire tour (no matter how big or small) by one performance, but if it was like this every night-he wasn't cuttin' it. I still LOVE the album though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnJvYGM-9fg

20 years ago Plant turned down a reunion around the remasters box-sets ,so we got Coverdale-Page

then Plant got jealous so we got Page/Plant

20 years on Plant won't tour around the latest remastered box-sets ,why not have Coverdale-Page 2 ?

Compared to the show I have, this tune doesn't sound bad. Coverdale's voice (approach/style) is a little too METAL and piercing for me on this kind of song, though. I guess I'm just used to Plant singing it, and changing up the tone's/register a bit throughout. Page is on fire here!!! Really clean and fluent playing.

Thanks SuperStatic, good to hear from you again...it's been a while. I can't take credit for the link though, that was "Weslgarlic" (whatever that means)

I agree that he looks comfortable with DC.

We all know Jimmy's had his "not so good moments"...but here, man-he looks completely sober and on time. I don't know what he was doing at this time to take care of himself, but it shows in his appearance and playing.

Heres Page rocking out a WhiteSnake staple from the late 80's...Still of the night no less!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEOUG8Au9FQ

What if he would have busted out the bow around the 3 min. mark? Isn't this one of the songs (the original video) that shows Adrian Vandenberg playing the bow in one part of the solo (even though it's John Sykes)...The bow would have been perfect there. This looks like a great concert overall...every video I've seen sounds pretty damn good. It's funny to hear Page playing Whitesnake songs...Those guitar players were much more METAL in texture and sound than Page ever was. But, I like Jimmy's performance. He does it Jimmy Page's way, and it sounds fantastic. Such a versatile player.

RockHistorian it is funny to hear and watch Jimmy jamming like this. I enjoy it, very hair metal, yet still with Jimmys unique touch! I think he was simply trying to show that he wasn just a "washed up hippie" and could still jam with the best of them. He simply rocks IMO and is one of the greatest with a willingness to do something outside of the box. Rock on Jimmy!

Archived