What I would give five years off my life to see

Maybe twenty years ago I read an interview with engineer Eddie Kramer. I think it was in Guitar Player or Guitar World. He spoke about the first playback of Dancing Days. A story we all know. But in this interview he said that once Dancing Days was played for the first time, the four members began dancing, including a moment where they were dancing in single-file in a conga line, with hands on each others’ shoulders.

One-two left kick, one-two right kick. Repeat as necessary.

I have searched around this site and others and have found reference to that day, but never the conga-line thing that I remember from that original interview. Example:

http://www.eddiekram...n_zeppelin.html

One day when I as a kid, my mom and I went to a store in Scottsdale called LaBelle’s. Back when stores had stereo departments that actually contained stereo equipment. Once we entered the store I noticed they were playing Dancing Days really loud in the stereo department. I ran full speed to the stereo area. They were really cranking it. To this day when I hear this song I think of that day. Marcel Proust would be proud.

Crazy ways are evident

In the way you’re wearing your clothes

Sippin’ booze is precedent

As the evening starts to glow

It was 1978. I was fourteen. I was full-bore in the midst of my love affair with this band. At that moment I experienced this great song in its’ absolute fullness. Once I got there I stood in the middle of the department, looked up at the ceiling, and closed my eyes.

God I love this band with every fiber in my being.

It is possible that I imagined the conga line thing. But I feel I remember it pretty clearly. I remember the phrase "single-file."

In the years since I have had deep obsessions about other bands: The Pixies, Tool, Rush, Jane’s Addiction, Radiohead, DJ Shadow, Nine Inch Nails, and others. But in this entire time there was never any other scenario about any other band that I love where I would gladly give five years off my life to have been there to witness.

There are other moments in Zeppelin lore that I would have loved to see. Meeting Elvis. The orchestration of Kashmir (still can’t believe no one could help with that recent thread). Watching John create the drum track for When The Levee Breaks. Watching Page record the solos to Heartbreaker or Communication Breakdown. Watching JPJ lay down the bass line to The Rover. 6/21/77. Etc.

I love Dancing Days. It’s cool if they just danced around in joy once they heard the first playback. But the conga line thing just kills me. I can see it in my mind’s eye and it fills me with the deepest joy.

I would easily give five years off my life to have seen that.

Perhaps there is an event in the history of this great band that is so irresistable that you would give five years off your life to have been there, too.

Life is too precious to give one second up for anything. :)

That being said, I think it would have been wonderful to see the first jam session on Gerrard Street!

Did they really play Train Kept A-rollin' ?

Seems likely, Jimmy says so.

I would have loved to have seen and heard that!

How they must have just been stunned at each of their abilities and the chemistry which had to have been overwhelming!

It would have been great to witness that stunning realization!

And I love Dancing Days! Just a purely joyous song! I have seen the photos taken that day of them dancing, but I don't remember any reference to a conga line! What a great image that conjures up! :D. Peace!

Life is too precious to give one second up for anything. :)

Wonderfully put.

if I could pick a Zeppelin highlight moment to witness though, it would most likely be the infamous Zeppelin / Sabbath studio jam... even though Jimmy wasn't there. That or the In My Time Of Dying studio session...

No rock band or musician is worth losing 5 years off of one’s life for. Musicians are damaged people who are incapable to holding down relationships with women, kids, and for the most part don't have friends. They suffer from attention deficit disorder, and are far too precious about their art. It sounds odd coming from a guy who owns 1000 albums on vinyl and 1000 albums of cd but that is how I feel about losing 5 years off of my life for music. Thanks but no thanks.

Since one could never literally give up a portion of one's life to magically time-travel back in time, the post is hypothetical.

The point is, if there is one moment in Zeppelin history that I would really really really love to see, this would be it.

That's all.

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

This should be in the general bands section.

For me, I would give a small amount of time of my life to be in the place when Bob Dylan wrote and recorded "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands", playing cards, smoking some reefer, and chilling with the session musicians while Dylan wrote, then sitting there and partaking of the magic, as the band records the 11-minute opus in just one take. Hell, I might even pick up a guitar and join in.

No rock band or musician is worth losing 5 years off of one’s life for. Musicians are damaged people who are incapable to holding down relationships with women, kids, and for the most part don't have friends. They suffer from attention deficit disorder, and are far too precious about their art. It sounds odd coming from a guy who owns 1000 albums on vinyl and 1000 albums of cd but that is how I feel about losing 5 years off of my life for music. Thanks but no thanks.

:blink:

Archived