Pontiac Silverdome 1977

jpenzabene

Yeah, that 43 minutes of Pontiac '75 footage (starts at Pinball Wizard) has circulated for years among Who fans. I just wonder if the Led Zep footage would be similar - which is mainly close-up shots of the band members and no wide angle shots or crowd shots.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it would be- like the Seattle pro shot footage, which mainly focuses on closeups of Page and Plant; no audience shots at all, it's not even like yer watching a concert film. Mind ya, it's worth keeping in mind that this sort of footage was intended for the video screens used during the concerts; of course it's all going to be close up shots, that what the video screens were for, so that the punters up in the nosebleeds could see the band members performing as something other than the size of ants :lol:

I've said this once and I'm gonna say it again: We are talking about Led Zeppelin, the biggest band in the world in 1977. I think that it's ridiculous to think they didn't record professionally at least half a dozen shows, like Guns N Roses, same thing, biggest band in 1990-1994 they recorded professionaly every show from their UYI tour that was on for 2 years, filmed and audio taped, now bare with me, Why the sh*t wouldn't Led Zeppelin record their shows?

It certainly wasn't because of money issues or lack of equipment. Either the robbers took alot more stuff than Jimmy's letting us know or the tapes deteriorated- but common Jimmy wouldnt let that happen...

I think that there's alot more stuff out there that we never thought existed, or evidence of it existing would be present, look at HTWWW, nobody thought the shows were multitracked, and BAM, Jimmy pulls out these two amazing shows from 1972 that nobody knew about.

• 1 month later...

if there is a video of this concert they should hurry up and put it out before everyone dies that want to buy it. it been long enough lets see it. this new generation wont pay as much for it as mine would. get it while you can

I completely agree with you. I think there's not many of us in the younger generation that will. I would be completely willing to spend money on these things if I had it. $10,000 for a soundboard (once the going rate), probably not. Maybe for a Los Angeles/Long Beach show because I'm from that area. The monetary value of these gems will start to (if it hasn't already) plummet as time goes on and the number of diehards starts to dwindle.

Edit:

That's talking about the people who buy the source tape(s). I feel the same way when it comes to bootlegs (EVSD etc.). Most of my generation do not pay for silvers, and probably will not.

Edited by publicenemy3

The irony is I'm only 19 and can guarantee you that I will torrent the footage in a heartbeat when it comes out. Unless you're talking Jimmy officially releasing it, of which the odds are next to none.

I personally look forward to fighting off the rest of the old fogies in the rest home for the rights to the DVD player for three hours thirty or so years from now when the goddamn video finally appears :lol:

The monetary value of these gems will start to (if it hasn't already) plummet as time goes on and the number of diehards starts to dwindle.

That's debatable IMO- even after all these years Zeppelin is still a popular enough band that they'll always draw new generations of fans...even new 'diehards' for whom there will be a demand for this kinda stuff...

I personally look forward to fighting off the rest of the old fogies in the rest home for the rights to the DVD player for three hours thirty or so years from now when the goddamn video finally appears :lol:

Well I'm definitely screen capping that and making my signature photo! :lol:

• 2 years later...

YeS WOW. That pic diffinetly shows a camera at the stage with a cloce up of Page. The red light is "on" on the camera but Icondo123, is that Pontiac?

Yes it is. Drew Stawin has posted other photos from Pontiac before. He's also posted a ton of great shots from the fourth night in NYC on June 11, 1977.

YeS WOW. That pic diffinetly shows a camera at the stage with a cloce up of Page. The red light is "on" on the camera but Icondo123, is that Pontiac?

Yeah, Sue beat me to it! That photo almost looks like it was taken a few seconds before this one below, like he was getting down on his knees in the color one and in the black and white one he's on his knees.

464b43de57c048521b5c7ae83d022229.jpg

Edited by lcondo123

Yeah, Sue beat me to it! That photo almost looks like it was taken a few seconds before this one below, like he was getting down on his knees in the color one and in the black and white one he's on his knees.

Nope. As you can see in the colour photo, Bonham is playing the drums so it's obviously during a song, while the b & w photo is during Jimmy's solo segment.

The more important detail to note in the b & w photo is the camera says "Opryland Productions". If someone can track down whether the company still exists or a former employee, then maybe we can find out some answers.

Nope. As you can see in the colour photo, Bonham is playing the drums so it's obviously during a song, while the b & w photo is during Jimmy's solo segment.

That's true, good observation - I missed that.

The color photo looks to me to be Jimmy playing "Nobody's Fault But Mine", based on his hand gesture, guitar, and lack of sweat.

That's also a good observation Walter! He'd do the hand gesture to keep time in the quiet spots during the song. Nice catch.

The more important detail to note in the b & w photo is the camera says "Opryland Productions". If someone can track down whether the company still exists or a former employee, then maybe we can find out some answers.

They operate out of Nashville. This has surely been beaten to death, as it is the only real clue we have regarding Pontiac video.