Howabout live versions of each of Zep's studio albums?

thezepguy

I think this would be an interesting way for Zep to release some of their great live performances, and of course, make some more money. Each album could just be a straight-forward "One live version for each track", or they could branch out and release 2 to 4 live versions for each track. Just an idea.

When it comes to a song that they did not perform, they could just stick an alternate studio take in there..or pull a "Got Live If You Want It" move, and loop everything for a few extra minutes, and/or add applause at the beginning and ending of each track :P

Well I don't think they give a damn about the money :D, they must all have tons of it. and if you want some more live zeppelin, you have the bootlegs, no matter what you do, you'll never listen to them all.

I don't really care either way, I'm not a fan of Zep live..I just think it would be interesting, and I'm surprised that no band has ever thought of it,

This is not the best response to your question but coincidentally this morning I was reading something in wikipedia in relation to this topic. Jimmy Page is quoted as saying: "The first album is a live album, it really is, and it's done intentionally in that way. It's got overdubs on it, but the original tracks are live."

I think the current remastering / repackaging of Zeppelin albums should allow some room / opportunity to include live tracks from different periods of Zeppelin's career, it'd be a good idea

What a stupid thing to say, considering the title of your thread.

I would like to see it, mainly because I like the idea of bands releasing live versions of each of their albums.

I would buy them, but that doesn't mean I would listen to them often.

Basically: I like the idea/thought, and would like seeing them, more than I would like actually listening to them.

As a special package for people who don't wanna listen but just look at the records a limited edition sleeves only package would do, hahaha.

(In case of one time listening, an extra edition will be pressed on 180 grams chocolate, for the benefit of the happy dentist, played by Larry Badgeley)

Sorry but this thread is becoming increasingly silly, don't blame it on me, I am to old and senile to get the logic behind things that would shock Spock's socks off.

Yours sincerely,

Reswati

Ministry of frogstomping

Ducktown

I would like to see it, mainly because I like the idea of bands releasing live versions of each of their albums.

I would buy them, but that doesn't mean I would listen to them often.

Basically: I like the idea/thought, and would like seeing them, more than I would like actually listening to them.

...Huh?!?!

Also: It would be strictly impossible, considering they did not perform live versions of several of their songs.

I think the current remastering / repackaging of Zeppelin albums should allow some room / opportunity to include live tracks from different periods of Zeppelin's career, it'd be a good idea

Jimmy has said repeatedly that the 2013 remasters have nothing to do with live material.

...Huh?!?!

Also: It would be strictly impossible, considering they did not perform live versions of several of their songs.

Jimmy has said repeatedly that the 2013 remasters have nothing to do with live material.

That's why I said in the original post, that they could replace those with alternate studio takes..

Geez, you'd think people on this forum would be jumping all over this..

^^^

chef free, Led Zeppelin IV had EVERY one of its eight songs performed live.

Led Zeppelin III had nine of its 10 songs performed in concert, with only "Hat's Off to Roy Harper" missing.

Led Zeppelin I and II both had 7 of 9 performed.

"Houses of the Holy" had 7 of its 8 songs performed.

Geez, you'd think people on this forum would be jumping all over this..

Your reputation precedes you.

^^^

Led Zeppelin III had nine of its 10 songs performed in concert, with only "Hat's Off to Roy Harper" missing.

See! This could work!.. :thanku:

^^^

Wow! Thanks Strider, I had no idea that they had played such a high percentage of their studio work.

^^^

Some of the songs were only performed one or two times - that we know of. And notice you stopped where you did? Relatively little of the later albums were represented in a live atmosphere.

Also: Per the latest Rolling Stone article, Page seems to suggest that live material will in fact accompany (in some form) the new remasters. Bloody self-contradictor! :P

Unfortunately, I think a live retrospective like the one mentioned here would prove really unsatisfying considering how much of the band's studio work wasn't easy to duplicate live, and how much Plant's voice changed over the years. The versions of Levee from early 75 have Plant in terrible voice, and the Copenhagen 71 version of Four Sticks is pretty ramshackle, even with Plant at his vocal peak.

This type of "every studio song live" collection gets asked for of every band with any sort of live following. I can't think of a single band where it's ever happened. Especially considering that the sound of a band in their infancy compared to the sound of that same band on their final album tends to sound very different. So, it might sound good in premise, but ends up being kind of a silly exercise. Better to listen to the studio albums to illustrate how the band sounded at that particular time, and then listen to accompanying live shows from that same era to hear what they sounded like onstage. That's much more interesting, imo.

Archived