Jimmy Page talks to Rollingstone about Post-O2 Plans

kenticus

Zeppelin inner dynamics always were weird to me.

Everybody is pulling the rug to himself- be that business, song-writing, legacy...

Plant always goes out of his way to prove Zeppelin was only him and Page(especially during Page/Plant interviews)

When has he EVER said this? Like all the others , he is always at great pains to make people aware that Zeppelin was the FOUR of them. That's the absolute crux of why they felt they couldn't continue without Bonzo.

Celebration Day press conferences were awkward,weird to watch. Those looks, grins...

Not in the slightest to me. They were wonderful to watch, not weird or awkward at all.

It's only natural friends drift apart anyway...I think from watching the Blu ray and dvd that Plant most definitely still relates to Page as a musician and can still find a groove there but best friends that last a life time are rare if not imposssible to find ...I think people tend to simplify..."this one is mad...this one smirked"...its not that heavy...It looked like Plant had fun that night but maybe has more fun with a different band or 2 now..that's not a crime...and I do agree with Bonzo gone it changed the dynamics of the 4 forever...its only natural...My Mother died this morning at 330 am...things like that change u and ur perspective forever at any age I think What Plant took from that great night was a tribute to Ahmet and pride in Jason's playing and revisiting old places one last time...not a "rebirth" or "reunion"

My condolences to you . I wish you and yours strength.

Thanks it put things in perspectives... and i do get why people would want more Last night as wife still in NY for couple days for a class I came home and put on the bonus disc of rehearsal ..I get Robert's reasons for not doing more and I get reasons why people have a hard time with that ...when u watch this it's just amazing how great it was and something tugs at u saying I want more. But i am thankful to have the o2 discs and...can remember the band the way they are on that night which is not a bad final memory of the group or 3/4 of group with a spectacular Jason. Thanks again Knebby...not unexpected but a jolt for sure...

My opinion is that at some point in the last 5 years Bob decided that he is more comfortable singing sleepy elevator music for his discovery of the ongoing retirement party he finds himself in. He didn’t do it because deep down inside he doesn’t believe he can do it - he took the coward’s way out and chose to follow the easy path of no expectations...Which is fine, that is his right to do so.

I think the thing that rankles (me anyway) is that for some reason it's ok for Robert to play and sing Led Zeppelin songs with Alison Krauss, Buddy Miller, etc. in re-arranged versions; but when it comes to doing it with his original band mates, that's off. It makes no sense.

That is indeed PATHETIC. Jones, Page, Jason, and Robert all play Zeppelin music at their respective gigs and Robert claims to enjoy doing so, but for some f&&ked up reason they can't play the music together when clearly Jones, Page, and Bonham are game. My view is that Robert likes being retired, it's less demanding and lets him do nothing of any power.

His angry reaction in some of the press conferences promoting Celebration Day were quite amusing. If he hates the reunion questions so much, why doesnt he just deny them outright rather than coming out with an ambiguous answer, and talking around the question? He has no right to get angry at these questions at press conferences, because he only has himself to blame for them. If he doesnt want to play with Led Zeppelin now or in the future, he should just come out and say it. That point has rung true since 1980, to be quite honest.

I agree 100%. His reaction and the manner he has dealt with it has been pathetic.

My opinion is that at some point in the last 5 years Bob decided that he is more comfortable singing sleepy elevator music for his discovery of the ongoing retirement party he finds himself in. He didn’t do it because deep down inside he doesn’t believe he can do it - he took the coward’s way out and chose to follow the easy path of no expectations...Which is fine, that is his right to do so.

Have you even listened to Robert's most recent stuff?

I have, I saw him in August and there was not one note of sleepy elevator music in his set ....and I will go one further... his delivery of Tin Pan Valley, Friends, Spoonful, Fix'n to Die, Another Tribe and Gallows Pole was current, dark, twisted and edgy! I still get goosebumps when I hear his latest version of Tin Pan Valley!

He is a master musician and I do not think there is anything remotely cowardly about his career choices.

He is his own captain, and far from retired!

No expectations?

The whole freaking world expects something from Robert, Jimmy and John Paul!

How is that for pressure?

They can't do anything without being scrutinized and analyzed to death!

Who placed a chair closer to who? What did he mean by that solemn look?

The beauty of it is, that Zeppelin was the pinnacle of all their musical careers.

How do you top that?

And how do you regenerate something that has been gone and asleep for 30 plus years without disappointing the masses and turning a legendary band into a 3 ring circus?

Talk about pressure!

Robert himself said that they all know what they have together!

But the tail must not wag the dog!

And I think he is wise!

He didn't take any "coward's way" - he took the way of HIS CHOICE - you need to get over it.

I agree 100%. His reaction and the manner he has dealt with it has been pathetic.

What a ridiculous thing to say. Like the whole band, he's been dignified and proud. The pathetic thing is people looking for things to attack him for.

I have, I saw him in August and there was not one note of sleepy elevator music in his set ....and I will go one further... his delivery of Tin Pan Valley, Friends, Spoonful, Fix'n to Die, Another Tribe and Gallows Pole was current, dark, twisted and edgy! I still get goosebumps when I hear his latest version of Tin Pan Valley!

He is a master musician and I do not think there is anything remotely cowardly about his career choices.

He is his own captain, and far from retired!.............................................

Great post .

He is his own captain, and far from retired!

No expectations?

The whole freaking world expects something from Robert, Jimmy and John Paul!

How is that for pressure?

They can't do anything without being scrutinized and analyzed to death!

Who placed a chair closer to who? What did he mean by that solemn look?

The beauty of it is, that Zeppelin was the pinnacle of all their musical careers.

How do you top that?

And how do you regenerate something that has been gone and asleep for 30 plus years without disappointing the masses and turning a legendary band into a 3 ring circus?

Talk about pressure!

Robert himself said that they all know what they have together!

But the tail must not wag the dog!

And I think he is wise!

Beautifully said.

A great read that allows Jimmy Page to share his perceptions on his life and career with Zeppelin and without. He's more than entitled to have his say about these matters. In the old days he never revealed squat about internal band dynamics and that seems to have changed. If it ruffles the feathers of some so be it. It would be healthy for him as an artist to use whatever justifiable anger he may have at the lack of a reunion to create something potent and powerful musically.

Bayougal65, great post!

ksgemini, I am sorry for your loss. When death happens to those we are close to it does change our perspective on life.

For those of you who CONTINUE to blame Robert for them not getting back together, IMHO you are selfish people. This man lost a child, his best friend. Do you think that doesn't change how you think? I can only speak for myself, but I personally do not buy Rolling Stone Magazine because the majority of writers back in the early days dissed them. I can forgive, but I never forget! It is a personal decision just as as I will not go to Halfin's Diary until he apologizes to Jason. I grew up at a time where loyalty meant something. Since Bonzo's death, Robert has remained loyal to LED ZEPPELIN!!! As much as he loves Jason he even stated to Jason that John was Led Zeppelin. The 02 was for Ahmet and Jason did beyond amazing and I could not be more proud of that performance as a fan...but LED ZEPPELIN is the original four of them.

Do you realize how young they were when they became as huge as they did? The critics didn't get it for a very long time! Their loss IMHO. Rolling Stone being one of the main ones!

Listen to the interview from Midnight Special 1975 with Robert, before the loss of his son and best friend. Have some F@#$kn compassion! I am so, so, so, sick of people blaming Robert that I could just scream sometimes. Why in the hell can't people just be grateful for the music they have given us both as a band and as individuals? I have stated this before....the absolute worst news we are ever going to hear on this forum is that any of the remaining three are no longer with us.I love this band and have an emotional connection with the music for over 4 decades now. So when you start trashing anyone of them, IMO you are a moron!

Sorry for my rant, but enough is enough!

Reading that interview I found perhaps a couple of small details that were a bit interesting, but otherwise what he is saying there isn't really any news at all. However on the cover it says "... and why it's finally over" - meaning Led Zeppelin's "epic ride". Actually there isn't an explanation in the interview why it's finally over for the band. But reading it, that's exactly the feeling I got - that even Jimmy now thinks it's completely over. And he isn't blaming anybody. It's just over. I would be interested whether others who have read the interview are under the same impression. Do you think he's contemplating or expecting to do further work with Jonesy - or Robert for that matter? I certainly think he isn't ...

Reading that interview I found perhaps a couple of small details that were a bit interesting, but otherwise what he is saying there isn't really any news at all. However on the cover it says "... and why it's finally over" - meaning Led Zeppelin's "epic ride". Actually there isn't an explanation in the interview why it's finally over for the band. But reading it, that's exactly the feeling I got - that even Jimmy now thinks it's completely over. And he isn't blaming anybody. It's just over. I would be interested whether others who have read the interview are under the same impression. Do you think he's contemplating or expecting to do further work with Jonesy - or Robert for that matter? I certainly think he isn't ...

hopefully, he' still thinking of working with Jonesy in the future, I feel like they could do some great stuff together soon. I feel like after page/plant didn't go down as well as they'd hoped that it'd be a stretch to think that page and plant work together again one day. I'm telling you, popping up for a guest spot or two on the next TCV record would be a great place for mr. page, sucks that JPJ, grohl, and homme didn't think of maybe bringing him into the fold when they were starting that.........then again the thinking might have been that that would be zeppelin overkill.

Bayougal65, great post!

ksgemini, I am sorry for your loss. When death happens to those we are close to it does change our perspective on life.

For those of you who CONTINUE to blame Robert for them not getting back together, IMHO you are selfish people. This man lost a child, his best friend. Do you think that doesn't change how you think? I can only speak for myself, but I personally do not buy Rolling Stone Magazine because the majority of writers back in the early days dissed them. I can forgive, but I never forget! It is a personal decision just as as I will not go to Halfin's Diary until he apologizes to Jason. I grew up at a time where loyalty meant something. Since Bonzo's death, Robert has remained loyal to LED ZEPPELIN!!! As much as he loves Jason he even stated to Jason that John was Led Zeppelin. The 02 was for Ahmet and Jason did beyond amazing and I could not be more proud of that performance as a fan...but LED ZEPPELIN is the original four of them.

Do you realize how young they were when they became as huge as they did? The critics didn't get it for a very long time! Their loss IMHO. Rolling Stone being one of the main ones!

Listen to the interview from Midnight Special 1975 with Robert, before the loss of his son and best friend. Have some F@#$kn compassion! I am so, so, so, sick of people blaming Robert that I could just scream sometimes. Why in the hell can't people just be grateful for the music they have given us both as a band and as individuals? I have stated this before....the absolute worst news we are ever going to hear on this forum is that any of the remaining three are no longer with us.I love this band and have an emotional connection with the music for over 4 decades now. So when you start trashing anyone of them, IMO you are a moron!

God amen to that!! I do so agree with you!!!

I saw Robert at the HMV Forum in July this year and I was really really hurt when I saw what people thought of the concert and how much their thirst for a Zeppelin reunion actually clouded their minds. I, too, amsick and tired of all this dissing that Robert has to endure for going his own fuckin way. He has nothing to prove to anyone and I, for one, am glad that he does what he does, and he does it brilliantly. Not forgetting where he comes from, but dealing with it with dignity and always with pride. People really should shut their faces if they haven't gone through the same kind of aggro he's been through. Zeppelin remains a vital part in his life, but he also associates loads of negative things that happened to him and there's no way he could shove all that aside.

So then, soz for the rant and going off-topic..

Back on topic: why don't we just wait until we finally SEE some activity from Mr.Page? Bleeding Rolling Stone, pisses me off anyway. They're so quick with jumping on the bandwagon while Zeppelin is en vogue while never giving them the credit they so rightly deserve. The most recent chart positions of Celebration Day all over the world only confirm that. So fuck the Rolling Stone and wait for an official announcement. If Jimmy really produces something (although I can't see how that can work with all the Zeppelin stuff he plans to do), he will let you know!!!

U know ..first thanks for the kind words on my loss... I dont see why it has to be one or the other I have loved Plant's last few ventures and think he can do what he wants when he wants...the 02 show was unbelieveable so for Page to be a little disappointed is natural too...The truth is Led Zeppelin was and will remain in history as 4 great people/musicians ...I dont see the point in just watching every comment and expression for something to criticize...what will happen will happen and as said before the o2 show in 07 is a great way to go out if that's how it ends....if they did a 100 show tour and Robert cant sing at that level so intensely he gets nailed by critics and fans and if Jimmy gets tired or falls into some of his personal battles then he gets criticized and blamed...My dad is 71 I just cant see him traveling from city to city for months at a time at his age...sometimes better to go out with people wanting more when u can still look back with pride. And gee maybe losing the world's greatest drummer and a friend factors into it. LZ's last few years were not kind to Robert... losing a child and a friend....We have no idea what teh whole deal is on anything only what we are told by the media and RS isnt a source I respect anymore....they probably will have Rihanna on next cover.

Bayougal65, great post!

GREAT-POINT DEB!!!!

Back to the Jimmy Page interview. For those who've actually read the piece I find Jimmy's observations about his guitar playing and his insights on Jeff Beck, Clapton, Hendrix and Keith Richards interesting and respectful. Other guitar players and musicians would probably appreciate what he has to say.

Just because some people refuse to suck Bob's dick doesn't mean they are bashing him - reminds me of a cult of personality...Some of us may actually find what he is doing in recent months a real borefest...

Here is hoping that Page gets back together with Coverdale or goes out with The Tea Party!

I think there was some hope that they would do some dates at Madison Square Garden as Cream had done. Plant wanting to do it once & do it right prob. ties into how badly Live Aid and the Atlantic tribute went.

Myles did a good job with Slash and is supposed to be recording with Alter Bridge next year. He's a good singer, but he's not Axl Rose or Robert Plant, he does sing the Velvet Revolver material really well though.

I thought one of the really interesting things was Page talking about his drug use. He was kind of in defense of himself and didn't want to describe himself as being a slave to drugs and alcohol. He said that there was no point during his time with drugs where he thought he was totally not in control anymore.

I beg to differ if you see some of the 1977 videos and pics. It was really disturbing to watch him play and see how thin he was.

I thought one of the really interesting things was Page talking about his drug use. He was kind of in defense of himself and didn't want to describe himself as being a slave to drugs and alcohol. He said that there was no point during his time with drugs where he thought he was totally not in control anymore.

I beg to differ if you see some of the 1977 videos and pics. It was really disturbing to watch him play and see how thin he was.

Some people thought he was being harsh on the interviewer, but it's obviously a sensitive subject for him, even though most of his peers have been open and candid about their problems, and prob. feel Jimmy discussing what he dealt with could possibly help someone else.

It is possible he hadn't been doing heroin, and had all sorts of prescriptions coming his way. Diet pills, ludes, legal and illegal substances, no sleep, 3 hour shows, and going on and on - that would make anyone loopy in itself.

Archived