Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
tazulike88

Mr.Page's Amp Settings and Guitar Tones

Hey guys, i sometimes want to know what settings and effects jimmy used on certain bits and certain songs, and i never knew where to go to find these information, and since i never asked a question on those forums that went unanswered, i decided to ask you guys about these things i want to know, and hopefully some more seasoned musicians will be able to help me, i'm sorry if there's another thread dedicated to that topic, if there's, you can redirect me there and i will ask them my questions. thanks in advance.

now i want to know how did jimmy achieve his guitar tone in houses of the holy, it sounds awesome and i know there's a trick he used, there is more than one guitar track, and i'm referring to the intro one, the one that plays the main riff throughout the song. can anybody help me ??

Edited by tazulike88

Mmmmm, that's an interesting device. Well, How about In my time dying, i can sence fuzz, but i feel like there's more than one guitar, the tone varies and the sound pans in the intro, sounds demonic :) does any body know how he did that ??

In My Time Of Dying was one of the few Zeppelin tracks without any overdubs I believe. Just the three instruments and Robert. There is something about the mixing though, I cannot explain but Jimmy spliced low and high tones in the guitar sound or something.

Edited by Z-o-S-o

There has to be overdubs because the slide solos don't sound as if they're coming from the same amp.

Edited by hecube

Man, it's not just about the amp. It's about the strings he uses, the guitar he uses, the amp he uses... His tone is a mixture of all of that, and for that, even the mood he was in during, as an example, a recording session, would influence both his tone and playing. The only guy that came close to his tone (and it wasn't even his classic tone, more of a Presence like tone) was Joe Bonamassa. But there are small things that make a huge difference, like you were saying about HOTH, that's a delay pedal that would have been often used in Funk songs back in the day (check out Earth Wind and Fire's Shinnig Star, it's from 1975), and for the Presence tone I guess he used a stratocaster running through a Phaser that would have all it's nobs down to 1 so it wouldn't actually create the effect but would phase the sound, and I heard that Van Halen used to do that too.

Obviously there are tricks and effects, but nothing out of this world or something that a bluesman wouldn't have used back in the 70's.

In My Time Of Dying was one of the few Zeppelin tracks without any overdubs I believe. Just the three instruments and Robert. There is something about the mixing though, I cannot explain but Jimmy spliced low and high tones in the guitar sound or something.

If it's really done without overdubs, then it's Freaking genius. but also, the tone itself sounds very interesting, there's a mixture of fuzz and delay, on a channel, and heavy gain on the other channel, pure magic :).

Magerogue, i agree with you, The Guitar sound never comes only from an amp, But from the emotions and the physical condition of the player Of course, but after all, the Amp, Guitar and the accompanying Effects are responsible for Creating the Tone, Right ? Was it played on an ES or on the Danelectro he used in '75 ?

If it's really done without overdubs, then it's Freaking genius. but also, the tone itself sounds very interesting, there's a mixture of fuzz and delay, on a channel, and heavy gain on the other channel, pure magic :).

Magerogue, i agree with you, The Guitar sound never comes only from an amp, But from the emotions and the physical condition of the player Of course, but after all, the Amp, Guitar and the accompanying Effects are responsible for Creating the Tone, Right ? Was it played on an ES or on the Danelectro he used in '75 ?

I believe that Jimmy did one guitar overdub in IMTOD and probably used another guitar rather than the Danelectro, but I'd be wrong.

I'm guessing Jimmy didn't have an ES back in the 70's , or at least I have never seen one with him from that period. he could have used a Telecaster like he

did in the popular Jennings Farm Blues...

Edited by magerogue

An often overlooked aspect of Page's tone is the picks he used. Got a Catalinbread RAH pedal a few months ago. It's a pedal designed to emulate the hot rodded Hiwatt he used for the famous RAH show from the dvd. In some of the online info they talked about how important the pick was to Page's sound so they included one. I kinda rolled my eyes, but it's actually true. A Herco Flex 75 or similar pick really made the Page tone jump out of this pedal.

An often overlooked aspect of Page's tone is the picks he used. Got a Catalinbread RAH pedal a few months ago. It's a pedal designed to emulate the hot rodded Hiwatt he used for the famous RAH show from the dvd. In some of the online info they talked about how important the pick was to Page's sound so they included one. I kinda rolled my eyes, but it's actually true. A Herco Flex 75 or similar pick really made the Page tone jump out of this pedal.

Yeah, I actually Knew that, he used a medium gauge flex something, and that pick makes his playing sound sick, i think the wide white pick he used at the O2 is similar to that, and i used to have a medium gauge pick that was super flexible and easy to use but i lost it. So yeah, his pick did contribute to his awesomeness

I also Always wondered about the Genius intro of Nobody's fault but mine, i know that's flange or phase, maybe chorus and overdrive pedals, i have no idea, can anybody help me with that ???

Yeah, I actually Knew that, he used a medium gauge flex something, and that pick makes his playing sound sick, i think the wide white pick he used at the O2 is similar to that, and i used to have a medium gauge pick that was super flexible and easy to use but i lost it. So yeah, his pick did contribute to his awesomeness

I also Always wondered about the Genius intro of Nobody's fault but mine, i know that's flange or phase, maybe chorus and overdrive pedals, i have no idea, can anybody help me with that ???

NFBM sounds like flange to me.

NFBM sounds like flange to me.

I know it has Flange but there's something different to it, Not Only Flange.

According to Wikipedia "Page triple-tracked his guitar intro; playing one guitar an octave higher than the others and using a phaser."

There might be some studio trickery in there somewhere too. At the O2, it looks like he used a whammy or a octave pedal for the higher octave part.

Page used his early Danelectro in the studio with overdubs as he did

in concert per the guitar used. There are a few Guitar mags where Page

explains his use of setting on various tracks. However Page has always

kept this type of information cloase to the vest. In other words he's never

been one to talk too much regarding amp settings and such. Much that is

out there are those guessing. Page also said most the tab books are

in correct per tunings etc...