Best of Led Zeppelin live from the 1977 tour

godzilla777

Yes. Genuine Master's "Supersonic Seattle" is an excellent release of this show, and the same one I have. (Though I lost disc two somewhere ;__;)

Yes it does have pictures of the band against a blue background. Is that good?

Thank you for informing me Sue, I've had them for about 6 years now and didn't know about that.

Yes. Genuine Master's "Supersonic Seattle" is an excellent release of this show, and the same one I have. (Though I lost disc two somewhere ;__ ;)

I am in the "Seattle '77 is an above average show" group. Not just average, but above average. Bonzo's last standout performance, and Jimmy comes around towards the end. I seriously think that a lot (**yeah, its two words, A.......LOT) of people don't listen to shows yet still rate them as crap based on what other people have said. I question one's taste for Zeppelin if they listen to this show and say Bonham did not kick ass. I recognize that one band member performing well doesn't necessarily make a show good, but this is '77, not '71. I love '77 the most, but I can clearly ascertain that its no Japan '71 in terms of technical brilliance.

I am in the "Seattle '77 is an above average show" group. Not just average, but above average. Bonzo's last standout performance, and Jimmy comes around towards the end. I seriously think that a lot (**yeah, its two words, A.......LOT) of people don't listen to shows yet still rate them as crap based on what other people have said. I question one's taste for Zeppelin if they listen to this show and say Bonham did not kick ass. I recognize that one band member performing well doesn't necessarily make a show good, but this is '77, not '71. I love '77 the most, but I can clearly ascertain that its no Japan '71 in terms of technical brilliance.

Bonham always kicked ass in Seattle...Page and Plant may have had their iffy moments on 17/7/77 but Bonham pretty much owns that show...and not for the first time in '77, either...

Bonham was awesome, the highlight of that show was watching him play Moby Dick, that was just spectacular.

Bonham always kicked ass in Seattle...Page and Plant may have had their iffy moments on 17/7/77 but Bonham pretty much owns that show...and not for the first time in '77, either...

• 2 weeks later...

The past two days have been spent happily listening to 1977/06/21, as I do a few times a year, and I am once again reminded that not only is this show the greatest of '77 but the greatest of Led Zeppelin! Every single tune played is a top five version, and the incessant energy of the audience fused with the bombastic drums, guitar and bass, glazed with Plant's powerful voice, with a mix of drugs and alcohol to increase the hysteria, cements this Tuesday, the first day of summer, in the year 1977, as the single greatest live performance of any Rock N' Roll band. Ever!!!!

It is as true as gravity holds us to the Earth!

The past two days have been spent happily listening to 1977/06/21, as I do a few times a year, and I am once again reminded that not only is this show the greatest of '77 but the greatest of Led Zeppelin! Every single tune played is a top five version, and the incessant energy of the audience fused with the bombastic drums, guitar and bass, glazed with Plant's powerful voice, with a mix of drugs and alcohol to increase the hysteria, cements this Tuesday, the first day of summer, in Athe year 1977, as the single greatest live performance of any Rock N' Roll band. Ever!!!!

AGREED +1000!!!

NO-DOUBT!!!!

It is as true as gravity holds us to the Earth!

hopefully we will have soundboards of 6/21, 6/22, and 6/23 within a few years so we can judge them all on an even playing field.

I honestly think the LA '77 run would make a great official release (part of a bootleg series) if Jimmy has the sbd's.

Hell, Jimmy already has what is presumably a low gen copy of Millard's 21/6/77 tape...that recording in itself warrants official release.

All this hoorah about L.A. '77 soundboards...I bet ten to one most of us would listen to the SBDS once or twice and stick to the audience tapes, except for 6/22 and 6/26.

Hell, Jimmy already has what is presumably a low gen copy of Millard's 21/6/77 tape...that recording in itself warrants official release.

All this hoorah about L.A. '77 soundboards...I bet ten to one most of us would listen to the SBDS once or twice and stick to the audience tapes, except for 6/22 and 6/26.

Disagree. A soundboard would reveal how well they played. People say it will "reveal every mistake" and ruin our opinions of the shows, but I strongly disagree. BUT, theres nothing quite like listening to the 6/21 audience tape and imagining being there.

I don't think a soundboard is gonna change anyone's opinion of 6/21. People who love that show (like myself) will be psyched because of the potential matrices, people who don't like that show will just try to make their "See, I told you so!" cases and list little slips that are generally unnoticeable to anyone with a life.

I don't think a soundboard is gonna change anyone's opinion of 6/21. People who love that show (like myself) will be psyched because of the potential matrices, people who don't like that show will just try to make their "See, I told you so!" cases and list little slips that are generally unnoticeable to anyone with a life.

agree. i think it would boost the already popular shows reputation, actually.

My issue isn't with what a 1977 Forum Soundboard would or wouldn't reveal, performance-wise. It's not going to change my opinion of the shows, and I have learned long ago that Jimmy's guitar never sounds as good on a Soundboard as it did in the hall.

My question is the quality of the Soundboard tape itself. If the '77 Forum sounds like the 1975 Soundboards, great...I'll gladly listen to those. But if they sound more like the drab and brittle '77 Houston or New York Soundboards...or some of those 1973 ones, then I'll stick to my Mike Millards.

My question is the quality of the Soundboard tape itself. If the '77 Forum sounds like the 1975 Soundboards, great...I'll gladly listen to those. But if they sound more like the drab and brittle '77 Houston or New York Soundboards...or some of those 1973 ones, then I'll stick to my Mike Millards.

Exactly, what's the point in having a dry soundboard recording? That's why it's a live show, that's why they use microphones to record the audience. The atmosphere is half of the equation. I seriously doubt that a soundboard for 6/21 would do us any good.

Also, not on topic but a question on the 6/21 show, is it called Listen To This Eddie because of what Eddie Kramer said about the band being so sloppy that he felt he couldn't record them or because of what Van Halen said about Jimmy?

Also, not on topic but a question on the 6/21 show, is it called Listen To This Eddie because of what Eddie Kramer said about the band being so sloppy that he felt he couldn't record them or because of what Van Halen said about Jimmy?

I realize I am in the minority on this, but I have always firmly believed that it was neither. I believe that Mike Millard simply had a guy named Eddie that he traded with, or made copies of his shows for, and simply wrote that on the cassette of the 6/21 show he sent, as a way of expressing how amazing the show was.

Both of those Eddie Van Halen and Eddie Kramer quotes about Jimmy didn't become public knowledge until long after the bootleg came out, so therefore, it doesn't follow that Mike Millard would reference something that hadn't even happened yet.

Eddie is just a guy named Eddie, that's all. But the Eddie Van Halen or Eddie Kramer angle makes for a juicy anecdote, so people like to cling to that instead.

I realize I am in the minority on this, but I have always firmly believed that it was neither. I believe that Mike Millard simply had a guy named Eddie that he traded with, or made copies of his shows for, and simply wrote that on the cassette of the 6/21 show he sent, as a way of expressing how amazing the show was.

Both of those Eddie Van Halen and Eddie Kramer quotes about Jimmy didn't become public knowledge until long after the bootleg came out, so therefore, it doesn't follow that Mike Millard would reference something that hadn't even happened yet.

Eddie is just a guy named Eddie, that's all. But the Eddie Van Halen or Eddie Kramer angle makes for a juicy anecdote, so people like to cling to that instead.

Exactly, I'm not sure about the Eddie Kramer one because he worked with the band and was popular enough to have done an interview and have comented on the thing, but I always overlooked the VH theory because they didn't even have an album for sale, as the first Van Halen album was to be released a year later.

Now, I wasn't around in 1977 so I'm not sure about the original title of the bootleg. Was it really Listen To This Eddie?

Archived