is stairway to heaven about somthing bad?

super_fly_16

everybody always says that stairway to heaven is about something bad like the devil or some of that stuff. but i listed to this song like maybe a few hundred times and i never heard anything about that stuff. on the internet lots of things on google talk about this song being evil but are they just making it up.

Robert Plant in a 1983 interview in Musician magazine: "To me it's very sad, because 'Stairway to Heaven' was written with every best intention, and as far as reversing tapes and putting messages on the end, that's not my idea of making music."

The rumors about backmasking in Stairway are just that, rumors, and are not based in any kind of truth. I do not believe that there are any kind of evil messages in Stairway to Heaven, and I choose to take it for what it is: a great song.

everybody always says that stairway to heaven is about something bad like the devil or some of that stuff. but i listed to this song like maybe a few hundred times and i never heard anything about that stuff. on the internet lots of things on google talk about this song being evil but are they just making it up.

Robert Plant in TSRTS says it is "a song of hope"!

He should know, he wrote the lyrics.

More recently at a press conference when asked about the song's meaning... He said, "maybe I am still trying to figure out its meaning, every other fuc**er is!"

The tales of the devil and evil were spread by a group with a certain political/religious agenda to censor music.

The group failed but the false tales remain.

It is utter nonsense!

:)

I think it also titillates (or used to) teenage fans, trying to find hidden meaning or listening to something that might be viewed as spiritually dangerous.

How quaint.

You may listen to the song without reservation. There's nothing bad about it.

All that glisters is not gold - William Shakespeare (1596)

All that is gold does not glitter - J.R.R. Tolkien (1954)

All that glitters is gold - Robert Plant (1971)

Stories behind Famous Sayings

The Saying: ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD.

Who Said It: Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

When: 1615

The Story behind It: In Part II of Cervantes's satire Don Quixote, Sancho Panza uses this gold aphorism while speaking to the duchess. His speech, in part, reads: "...if you don't think fit to give me an island because I am a fool, I'll be so wise as not to care whether you do or not. 'Tis an old saying, the Devil lurks behind the cross. All is not gold that glisters." While Cervantes's phrasing is quite close to the accepted version, "All that glitters is not gold," it is impossible to determine where the idea originated. As far back as the 12th century, a French philosopher and theologian, Alain de Lille, wrote, "Do not hold everything gold that shines like gold." Both Chaucer (in The House of Fame, c. 1383) and Shakespeare (in The Merchant of Venice, 1596) had versions of the aphorism. John Dryden first used the word glitters, in his poem The Hind and the Panther (1687). The line reads, "All, as they say, that glitters is not gold."

Plant pretty much made the lyrics up almost on the spot as the rest of the band were putting the tune together at Headley Grange. I don't believe he put a lot of thought into evil or good. Jimmy says he loves the lyrics whereas Robert says he can't relate to them now. "if there's a bustle in your hedgerow" hardly sounds demonic does it?

There's a lot of rubbish been written about the 4th album and playing it backwards but I'm not going to rake that up again.

it's about a chick who is beguiled- thinking all that glitters is gold and if only she has it she can buy her way to heaven

similar in mood and tone to "...tryin' to find a woman who's never, never- never been born."

any judgements there upon is at the behest of the listener- bad/good/indifferent. It's music- evocative & memorable and exceptionally well done composition to performance to production which make access as a listener so personal, the grail that is LZ

What do YOU think it's about super fly?

i thought it was about a lady who died and went to heavan. but when she got there it wasnt what she thought it was going to be. now i think its about selling your soul to satan because of the thing about the piper leading us and because i read that jimmy is a satan worshiper because he liked that 666 guy and what he wrote about

i thought it was about a lady who died and went to heavan. but when she got there it wasnt what she thought it was going to be. now i think its about selling your soul to Satan because of the thing about the piper leading us and because i read that jimmy is a Satan worshiper because he liked that 666 guy and what he wrote about

I usually Loathe to offend people, But you, Sir, are So Fucking Wrong ... Plant himself said that he doesn't know what the song is about , the Lyrics are Random Moment's creation, they don't have Deep hidden meanings and massages as Loads of people believe. and as for Jimmy, no he is NOT satanist, he was deeply interested in a man called Alister Crowley, Crowley was a wicked philosopher with some screwed up beliefs, but he wasn't Satan, and Jimmy didn't Worship Crowley.

When i started listening to Zepp' i came across this whole Satanism thing and i was so confused because that's way too serious in my religion, But they were just so good i couldn't stop listening to them, so i decided to keep listening to them whether they are satanists, extraterrestrials, Or Child Molesters :) and if you listen to the backwards song without looking at the lyrics, you'll believe the whole subject is a fake up.

I usually Loathe to offend people, But you, Sir, are So Fucking Wrong ... Plant himself said that he doesn't know what the song is about , the Lyrics are Random Moment's creation, they don't have Deep hidden meanings and massages as Loads of people believe. and as for Jimmy, no he is NOT satanist, he was deeply interested in a man called Alister Crowley, Crowley was a wicked philosopher with some screwed up beliefs, but he wasn't Satan, and Jimmy didn't Worship Crowley.

When i started listening to Zepp' i came across this whole Satanism thing and i was so confused because that's way too serious in my religion, But they were just so good i couldn't stop listening to them, so i decided to keep listening to them whether they are satanists, extraterrestrials, Or Child Molesters :) and if you listen to the backwards song without looking at the lyrics, you'll believe the whole subject is a fake up, because it doesn't make any sense.

now i think its about selling your soul to satan because of the thing about the piper leading us and because i read that jimmy is a satan worshiper because he liked that 666 guy and what he wrote about

Really? Seriously?

I think you live in under a bridge.?

When i started listening to Zepp' i came across this whole Satanism thing and i was so confused because that's way too serious in my religion, But they were just so good i couldn't stop listening to them, so i decided to keep listening to them whether they are satanists, extraterrestrials, Or Child Molesters :) and if you listen to the backwards song without looking at the lyrics, you'll believe the whole subject is a fake up.

how can plant not know what his song is about. that doesnt even make any sense. bro what are you smoking? and that crowely dude was evil so if people are into him than they are probably into some of what he was saying. i read that crowley was a witch to.

how can plant not know what his song is about. that doesnt even make any sense. bro what are you smoking? and that crowely dude was evil so if people are into him than they are probably into some of what he was saying. i read that crowley was a witch to.

YES, He was into Crowley, And His sayings, and his beliefs, but it doesn't mean that he's a satanist, it's like somebody who is is interested in Hitler, He's only interested in his strategic abilities, he's not a racist or a Nazi, Have Some Brains, kid.

And if you read Bayougal65's Post #4, plant in the recent celebration day press conference was asked, what the song was about, and he said he's still trying to find out, Not that he's trying to decipher a song that he written by his own hands, but that the song doesn't really have a specific meaning, Got It ??? and again, have some brains, think of what you read and don't just believe what anybody tells you.

And again the debate goes on..., I used to really love this song, I heard it once said the "beauty of a song is in it's simplicity". But then I got caught up in that Jimmy's a Satanist (never believed it, if he was it's his problem not mine), Jimmy practiced black magic (sure pal-I was born at night time too). Jimmy's fascination with Aleister Crowley-the words were lifted from one of his witchcraft manuscripts (hmm-that's interesting, but still see no real reference). None the less, I become cautious of it, but still admired it's brilliance, and the mystique behind it.

As for Mr Page and the rumors, he has a fascination with the occult, so do I-does that make me a Satanist-not even close, not gonna turn this into a religious debate but let's just say, the more you know about your enemies-the easier it is to understand them. That's my view, as well as Jimmy has his, practice witchcraft and sorcery? Doubt it-that rumor probably got started cause of the "Crowley thing"--but again where does the meaning of Stairway... figure into this, it doesn't.

I did find something interesting, there is a castle over there, rumored to be haunted-if you listen at times, you can hear a piper playing, and at times a lady with a dark cloak will appear from time to time, she even has a statue in the front. This statue and the folklore behind may've inspired Jimmy with some of it's lyrics--again "may have", only he and Robert Plant know for sure. I read the lyrics and I see a lost soul trying to find their way. The devil is a deceiver, and she wants to make sure she gets it right, not go the "lost route". Voices of people and smoke through the trees-obviously she's not alone, words have 2 meanings-make sure she gets the right meaning, 2 paths-you still have time to change the road you're on, telling us to "get it right"? I could go on, but won't, I will say this, just sit back and let your mind wander, and let the interpretation come as you here it. "and it makes me wonder" It sure does and I'll leave it at that.

I call Troll!

Mr/Ms Super_fly is also arguing in another thread that the Beatles are Irish after saying he speaks English as a 2nd language.

Well bro, the syntax has improved greatly over time, here and over there, dude!

People genuinely try to help newbies in real intelligent discussions ...you are having some fun at others expense so now ...I call troll!

Not cool at all!

Move on!

From Stephen Davis' book "Hammer Of the Gods", Plant is talking about the writing of "Stairway to Heaven".:

" . . Robert described the 'automatic' nature of the lyric: 'I was just sitting there with Pagey in front of a fire at Headley Grange. Pagey had written the chords and played them for me. I was holding a paper and pencil, and for some reason, I was in a very bad mood. Then all of a sudden my hand was writing out words. 'There's a lady who's sure, all that glitters is gold, and she's buying a stairway to heaven.' I just sat there and looked at the words and then I almost leaped out of my seat.'" (Page 164)

"He [Robert Plant] often remarked that he could feel his pen being pushed by some higher authority." (Page 262)

The fact that Plant did not actually write the lyrics himself could give an explanation to why you can hear Satanic messages when playing the recording backwards, the message is in the lyrics, not in any studio trick done by the band.

As we all know..Headly Grange was where infamous Black-Magick practitioner Aliester Crowley lived and performed rituals, that is also where Plant "wrote" Stairway to Heaven.

The lyrics of Stairway feature many references to both Crowley and Pagan religion.

"It's just a spring clean for the May queen" is a reference to both the pagan ritual/item of dancing around a maypole, and the horrendous Aliester Crowley poem "May Queen".

The references to "the Piper":

"Then the piper will lead us to reason."

"Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,

The piper's calling you to join him,"

In paganism, the Piper is Pan.

Pan-large-800x800.gif

and Pan's true identity is none other than...THE DEVIL.

"Your head is humming and it won't go" The song IS a very catchy song, and so, it sticks in your brain, and is really the Devil calling you to join him.

"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run

There's still time to change the road you're on."

There are two paths according to Crowley, and most religions - God and Satan, which path is the song telling us to change to?

"And if you listen very hard

The tune will come to you at last."

Listen verrry hard - backmask it. The true nature of the tune will come to you at last.

There are numerous other Pagan references, but I do not know enough about the pagan theology to properly analyze each and every one.

I am not criticizing Zeppelin, the song is still an entertaining listen. If the above is true, and the song really is "satanic", then it probably is no fault of the bands.

Why are people trying to find hidden meanings in songs? I personally have never played a record backwards, apparently if I did I would discover that Paul McCartney died in the 60s. Stairway To Heaven is a beautiful song, just listen and enjoy, don't dissect it 41 years after it was made. Super Fly, who is that "666 guy what he wrote about." You sound like the scriptwriter from Morecambe and Wise !!. Get some sleep and listen to LZIII it will calm you down

Why are people trying to find hidden meanings in songs? I personally have never played a record backwards, apparently if I did I would discover that Paul McCartney died in the 60s. Stairway To Heaven is a beautiful song, just listen and enjoy, don't dissect it 41 years after it was made. Super Fly, who is that "666 guy what he wrote about." You sound like the scriptwriter from Morecambe and Wise !!. Get some sleep and listen to LZIII it will calm you down

Hey, McCartney dying at 27 is a very valid, AND interesting theory...and if you think about it...

He would have been a member of the 27 Club. Mindfuck. :redcard:

Archived