What if Physical Graffiti was one disc...

TheTraveller

Re: PG

...part of the magic of my most favorite Zep album was feeling the thickness of the packaging underneath the Christmas wrapping paper way back then. I think I remember thinking it may have been two separate records wrapped together.....But a double album? My first at age 11 for sure. Then to open it up and see all those sides and songs!.....Not trying to be a party-pooper with your original question, but P/G is as perfect an album, to me, as you can get. It's my "what if you were stranded on a desert island and only had one album to listen too"...I would need everyone of those tunes.

Let's thank God Physical Graffiti was a double!

If it wasn't it still would be their best - Kashmir, Trampled Underfoot, Custard Pie, In My Time Of Dying, Ten Years Gone, Sick Again, The Wanton Song, & In The Light, were all new songs that were worked on for Physical Graffiti.

The Rover, Houses Of The Holy, Boogie With Stu, Black Country Woman, Night Flight, Down By The Seaside, & Bron-Yr-Aur, were unfinished products, that were recalled for Physical Graffiti.

It's actually fun to take all the 'offcuts' from Graffiti, Coda, Remasters etc and make a play list putting them back when they were recorded - so Baby Come On Home at the end of the first album, Poor Tom with Zep 3, The Rover with Houses etc. It gives you a much more accurate picture of their sonic progression. I personally love listening to the 8 songs specifically recorded for Physical Graffiti in a row. They're a mighty bunch. Only one gripe: why couldn't they have an actual bass guitar on Kashmir? I think that song (classic though it is) is somewhat lacking sonically without a big bottom end.

• 2 weeks later...

It's actually fun to take all the 'offcuts' from Graffiti, Coda, Remasters etc and make a play list putting them back when they were recorded - so Baby Come On Home at the end of the first album, Poor Tom with Zep 3, The Rover with Houses etc. It gives you a much more accurate picture of their sonic progression. I personally love listening to the 8 songs specifically recorded for Physical Graffiti in a row. They're a mighty bunch. Only one gripe: why couldn't they have an actual bass guitar on Kashmir? I think that song (classic though it is) is somewhat lacking sonically without a big bottom end.

Great post, andrewds. Time to do up an iTunes playlist or 10, methinks!! :)

Only one gripe: why couldn't they have an actual bass guitar on Kashmir? I think that song (classic though it is) is somewhat lacking sonically without a big bottom end.

There is an actual bass guitar on Kashmir.

But..... because the riff is all played around a constant 'D' note, and Jonesy didn't tune the bottom note of his bass (an 'E') down then he just can't go down low enough to get the 'big bottom end' that you crave......

Let's not be unkind folks!

It's still quite valid, I think we all prefer certain songs from Physicall graffiti, but perhaps a better question would be 'What are your favourite songs from Graffiti?', because I don't think most of us wants to leave anything off the album!

if we were to ONLY include the songs actually done during the 1974 physical graffiti sessions and not any earlier material.......

In The Light

Custard Pie

In My Time Of Dying

Trampled Underfoot

Wanton Song

Ten Years Gone

Sick Again

Kashmir

Still a pretty diverse record, albeit a bit long for that time period, hence why they added all the older tracks to make it a double album.

I've set it up this way on my p.c.,

just selected the 1974 tracks in order...

Custard Pie

In My Time Of Dying

Trampled Underfoot

Kashmir

In The Light

Ten Years Gone

The Wanton Song

Sick Again

..... It is one very heavy album! The band was Rocking in 1974.

Presence also makes more sense as a follow up when just these 8 tracks are lined up.

But I love PG the way it is...

• 1 month later...

You could shorten the intro to In The Light, and cut some bits out of IMTOD.

This would be so much easier if ITTOD had lasted 82 minutes, although frankly that doesn't bear thinking about.

Now why the hell would you want to do that? Both these songs are perfect as is. If you change them in any way, the songs wouldn't be the same!

Archived