Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones to give rare interview on 'Letterman'

sam_webmaster

.What a wonderful time to be a Led Zeppelin fan.

Amen! Sometimes, I feel like I'm in a Belieber forum with better writers.

that is all the more reason that letterman should have known more about them! us die-hards know when he stuffs up, asks a stupid question ..... new-comers do not. if i had have been one of the three guys, when he said : "the drummer died ", i would have said : "his name is john bonham".

You've completely missed the point of my post. But you're not one one of them and they didn't say that and they clearly could have done that. Maybe they ALL wanted to keep the interview light.

And am sure JPJ and Robert and Jimmy were not happy with the way he said it either.i

As I noted previously, there are tweets from Jimmy’s manager’s wife to watch the show because “it’s hilarious.” If they were unhappy with it, I doubt she would have made a public statement promoting it.

As far as Letterman goes, IMO it was a missed opportunity quite frankly. Instead of asking in depth, and yes even hard questions that could have challenged the guys, Letterman APPEARED ill prepared and wound up mostly cracking somewhat funny, yet ultimately meaningless jokes. But thats just my two cents, maybe thats how the guys wanted it?

Letterman isn't a journalist - he doesn't ask in-depth, hard questions to anyone. Even when he has politicians on, he doesn't do that. The show is a PR vehicle. If you want to see an in-depth interview with Robert, Google Charlie Rose + Robert Plant. There's another good one with a Canadian DJ whose name escapes me. If the band wanted a serious interview, they could choose any journalist they want.

I think their history with public self-disclosure speaks for itself. Even in the RS interview, the interviewer said that in response to some questions Jimmy said, "I'm not telling you." That made me LOL-he's awesome in his secrecy. This to a journalist who wrote liner notes twice for them - so clearly, a fan.

It's not as if they were interviewed by Ed Bradley on "60 Minutes", they were interviewed by a guy who once put on a suit made of alka seltzer & jumped in a pool of water. It's an entertainment show, not a deep probing analysis of the bands history for an archive. The interview was entertaining, Letterman treated them no differently than he does anyone else to his credit, they had a good time, so what's to complain about? Not everything is to be taken so effin' seriously, just get over it if you have an issue, & develop a sense of humor in the context of the environment of which we were lucky enough to witness for one of the last times.

"Letterman isn't a journalist - he doesn't ask in-depth, hard questions to anyone. Even when he has politicians on, he doesn't do that. The show is a PR vehicle. If you want to see an in-depth interview with Robert, Google Charlie Rose + Robert Plant. There's another good one with a Canadian DJ whose name escapes me. If the band wanted a serious interview, they could choose any journalist they want."

Yeah I suppose he isnt a journalist. I shouldnt have said "in depth". To be honest I dont watch his show, so I'm not that familier with his "shtick". But I do think his style would depend on the guest right? He might not act as glib with some as with others? Honestly I was just happy to see the guys up there period. Its a rare thing indeed.

I dont think the folks here complaining about Lettermans "interview" are doing so to be jerks or something. Just like over on the 'Celebration day press conference' thread I pointed out the reason people might be reading so much into the guys "body language" "facial expressions" ect... (my self included) is because these incidents are RARE, they dont happen that often at all. So its only natural people are going to scrutinize them much closer than they normally might when it does.

This has been superbly put, we've grown to know these guys like the back our hand we all could of predicted the way the whole celebration day press would go down. We're disappointed with the interview and why can't we be? No one here is ungrateful we're all grateful we're experiencing Zepmania again! I'm also grateful Jimmy didn't have to go lone wolf on this again like previous releases and the whole band is out their promoting, we're enjoying this while it lasts and we are allowed to get annoyed at stuff along the way!

Yeah I suppose he isnt a journalist. I shouldnt have said "in depth". To be honest I dont watch his show, so I'm not that familier with his "shtick". But I do think his style would depend on the guest right? He might not act as glib with some as with others? Honestly I was just happy to see the guys up there period. Its a rare thing indeed.

He's always the same. I've only seen him serious twice. The first show after 9/11 and when he disclosed his affair with a staffer. And yes, me too! :)

There is no need to act like Star Trek fans. :dont: And yes, this is a spoof.

LOL!

It's not as if they were interviewed by Ed Bradley on "60 Minutes", they were interviewed by a guy who once put on a suit made of alka seltzer & jumped in a pool of water. It's an entertainment show, not a deep probing analysis of the bands history for an archive. The interview was entertaining, Letterman treated them no differently than he does anyone else to his credit, they had a good time, so what's to complain about? Not everything is to be taken so effin' seriously, just get over it if you have an issue, & develop a sense of humor in the context of the environment of which we were lucky enough to witness for one of the last times.

^^^ Great post, I agree 100 percent. Letterman has always been a bit of a goofball at times, even when he has had current and former Presidents on his show. I thought it all came off great except for the comment about "the drummer." However, as I recall Dave quickly said tragic death right after (or similar, a couple days since I watched) so I think perhaps Letterman realized how tacky/disrepectful that sounded as soon as he said it. I loved how gracious, patient and funny the boys were! John Paul Jones dry humor was great.

*** A question to anyone that knows. In the beginning JPJ "jokes" (?) about not receiving a similar honor back home. That got me curious as I knew Jimmy has his OBE, and Robert his CBE. But when I searched for John Paul Jone's Medal (OBE or CBE), I couldn't find it. A search here brought up nothing, so will someone please confirm for me that JPJ has an OBE (as he surely must)? Thanks very much! Missy :)

Those who are disappointed can be but be disappointed that the remaining members agreed to go on Lettermans show to promote their product & not the way Letterman has conducted interviews on his own show since the early 80's. Letterman does not have to change his format for the likes of people who pick apart every little bit of minuate of why JPJ blnked at a certain moment, why didn't he ask them why there's a telephone ringing during "The Ocean", why was "Dancing Days" played twice during the same show in 1972, why Robert has his hair pulled back now, why Page's solo on "Stairway" was different during 1973 as opposed to 1977, etc. Be disappointed that Letterman couldn't give a crap about what you majorly obsess with on a daily basis. The rest of us will enjoy the interview for what it was, relaxed, amusing, & one of the last times we'll see them in public together while smiling.

Those who are disappointed can be but be disappointed that the remaining members agreed to go on Lettermans show to promote their product & not the way Letterman has conducted interviews on his own show since the early 80's. Letterman does not have to change his format for the likes of people who pick apart every little bit of minuate of why JPJ blnked at a certain moment, why didn't he ask him why there's a telephone ringing during "The Ocean", why was "Dancing Days" played twice during the same show in 1972, why Robert has his hair pulled back now, why Page's solo on "Stairway" during 1973 as opposed to 1977, etc. Be disappointed by that Letterman couldn't give a crap about what you majorly obsess with on a daily basis. The rest of us will enjoy the interview for what it was, relaxed, amusing, & one of the last times we'll see them in public together while smiling.

There's a telephone ringing in "The Ocean"? I had no idea!

^^^

Wow. Pot calling the kettle black. Anyway, generally speaking casual fans don't fly any flags, they just purchase what strikes their fancy at the time, or appreciate a gift received. Some do of course become more avid fans, and it's nice to think there could be legions of more casual fans who ultimately become more avid fans after having seen their appearance on Letterman's program.

i don't often agree with you, steve, but this time i do :)

why are some calling others moaners?

what, we can't have a bloody opinion on letterman? none of us are bagging the zep guys, in fact the opposite for holding their composure during his "interview ".

Letterman WAS unprepared, and came across as having zero knowledge of the band, the music, the 02 concert, the celebration day release. some have suggested that he put that on. B.S.!

it WAS a missed opportunity, how many times have the whole three of them been interviewed together since the break-up? not many. Letterman should have been more prepared so he at least didn't give the world this impression. I bet there are hundreds of shows/interviewers who would have given their right arm to have this gig.

the MAIN problem i have with this interview is the "drummer died " comment, how they kept their tongue, i just don't know...... they have better manners than me.

. B.S.! it WAS a missed opportunity, how many times have the whole three of them been interviewed together since the break-up? not many. Letterman should have been more prepared so he at least didn't give the world this impression. I bet there are hundreds of shows/interviewers who would have given their right arm to have this gig. the MAIN problem i have with this interview is the "drummer died " comment, how they kept their tongue, i just don't know...... they have better manners than me.

Exactly. And they chose his show - precisely, because it would NOT be an in-depth interview. So he stumbled while talking about John Bonham. Have you never heard anyone stumble when referring to someone's passing? Some of my very best friends still do that when they talk to me about my father. It's pretty human thing and understandable which I imagine is why they were so gracious about it.

Lol. It's true & sadly for some Letterman missed a golden opportunity to solve this & many other obsessive mysteries.

I love this response. Now I'll agree he could have had more fun with the questions like this. They are right up his alley even!

i don't often agree with you, steve, but this time i do :)

why are some calling others moaners?

what, we can't have a bloody opinion on letterman? none of us are bagging the zep guys, in fact the opposite for holding their composure during his "interview ".

Letterman WAS unprepared, and came across as having zero knowledge of the band, the music, the 02 concert, the celebration day release. some have suggested that he put that on. B.S.!

it WAS a missed opportunity, how many times have the whole three of them been interviewed together since the break-up? not many. Letterman should have been more prepared so he at least didn't give the world this impression. I bet there are hundreds of shows/interviewers who would have given their right arm to have this gig.

the MAIN problem i have with this interview is the "drummer died " comment, how they kept their tongue, i just don't know...... they have better manners than me.

Well put Slave to Zep. I am pretty disgusted with Letterman and his handling of such a great opportunity. I never liked him one bit and I despise him now. The insensitive remark regarding the late great Bonzo was more than I could stomach. And I know how close Robert was to him and JPJ too. I am sure they were biting their tongues. Letterman knew who "The Who" was and that seemed shocking enough given his lack of knowledge or perhaps just his arrogance and trying to be funny. He can stick his stale lame jokes where the sun don't shine. Jay Leno would have done a far better job. Anyway, its over, and its too bad they didnt perform an acoustic song or something. But after two days with the man they probably could not wait to get in their limo and ride the fuck out of dodge

Exactly. And they chose his show - precisely, because it would NOT be an in-depth interview. So he stumbled while talking about John Bonham. Have you never heard anyone stumble when referring to someone's passing? Some of my very best friends still do that when they talk to me about my father. It's pretty human thing and understandable which I imagine is why they were so gracious about it.

I love this response. Now I'll agree he could have had more fun with the questions like this. They are right up his alley even!I

No matter the slight, real or imagined, the so-called "superfan" of whatever the person, place, or thing will not let it go as they always know best & any mythical status that they apply to that person place or thing must be adhered to by everyone & a stalker like passion expressed. Lol. It's simply juvenile which is fine if one happens to be but if one is an adult it's borderline crazy. I'm sure all the parties involved in the interview felt it went just fine. Now the "superfans" can go back & can continue to criticize Page for his website, criticize Plant for following his own muse, & continue to ignore JPJ in the scheme of things, after all the "superfan" always knows best. And fdm 12 none of that was directed at you, just judging by some of the responses in this thread I can already see which "superfans" will get themselves banned from the forum for their idealized passions & it's always hoot to watch. The rest of us will merely have to content ourselves to just being regular fans who enjoy what was Zeppelin for what they were as we count our blessings for the last moments they are now sharing with us.

^

Right on, man! Now, I've got to run I hear a phone ringing...

Speaking of which, has anyone noticed how iTunes is offering all the original albums (non-remastered) for download as of December 18? I only have 1 non-remastered CD and 2 vinyl. Dumb question I know but is there a huge difference? I did a search for a thread but nothing came up. And since Jimmy said one shouldn't listen to LZ on mp3 maybe it's a moot point and I'll wait for the RE-remastered in 2013. Although I'm guessing he has a better ear than me.

Several members of Lynyrd Skynyrd were killed in a plane crash.

Outside of Ronnie Van Zandt, I don't know what their names were.

If I were interviewing the band, I might say, "And then there was the plane crash, where you lost some band members."

Should the band or the fans blacken both of my eyes because I don't recite the precise names?

If I were interviewing the band, I might say, "And then there was the plane crash, where you lost some band members."

Should the band or the fans blacken both of my eyes because I don't recite the precise names?

Maybe not blackened eyes but surely, any interviewer should be fairly well prepared no matter who their guest is. Maybe I just saw the whole Letterman segmant a little differently but it looked and sounded to me as if Dave , being a Kennedy recipient himself, was almost going out of his way not to be upstaged by the band. To the point, IMHO, of making a bit of an ass of himself. I think the guy's sensed that and for the most part, tried to accomodate him as much as they could. Let's not forget, it was Letterman who asked the questions, not the other way around

Bonham was the best drummer that ever walked the planet and Moon was second. Both are gone. Stevie Gaines the guitarist and Cassie his sister who sang backup vocals on Sweet Home Alabama were amoung those that did not make it. How do you forget John Bonham's name? There is no excuse for Letterman's bullshit attempt at interviewing the best band of all time. None.

I like when Letterman asked about the CD/DVD....

Something in the ball park of, "Now when was this, and where"?

Hey, Dave, the answer lies right smack dab on the back cover of the package...(that was facing you).

Did he even look at the thing? Guess not.

Hard to believe sometimes this guys been on TV hosting/interviewing people for 30 years.

My favorite member of the night was JPJ, hands down. He seemed to give Dave a sarcastic/witty comment every time he had a chance.. (mostly, the word "no", with a roll of the eyes :rolleyes: ) But it was all in good fun.

Great stuff.

Johnny Carson put Letterman to shame and so too Jay Leno. I never wasted my time watching him. Only watched to see Led Zeppelin. I only wonder how the hell he got them to show up on there? I know about the awards and all. He should have had Alec Baldwin come on first and sit with them. He is a big time Zepp fan and would have saved Letterman from making an ass of himself like he does every night. Never liked him. Never will.

Exactly. In my short time here there is so much negative energy in this forum.

We can't see the forest from the trees. Instead of being grateful for this wonderful and rare opportunity to see these guys together we have to slam Letterman and insist the interview conform to our endlessly high rigid expectations.

There is something about the depersonalized nature of online communications that makes message boards on sites like YouTube a morass of profane hostility. People not just disagreeing, but slamming those who do not share the same opinion about something as subjective as music. I see that here at times.

I will never forget Page's reaction to Dave realizing what Matinee meant. He convulsed like a little boy, elbowing Plant, so beside himself with joy in the moment.

Yes SuperStatic. I am enjoying this Celebration Day ride immensely. The O2 show, the dvd, Kennedy Center, Letterman. An orgy of Zeppelin greatness, all in a row.

Strange that we have such a great thing in common yet get caught up in picking each other apart. Letterman "sets a bad example for Americans"?

If Letterman did not have his show, or was not also honored at the Kennedy Center, we may not have had the chance to see our heroes on stage together, talking about the black American blues artists that influenced them, then laughing at Jones' hilarious refusal to give Dave a slot in the band.

I felt a tremendous wave of gratitude for what this band has meant to me for exactly forty years. I love these guys with all my heart. I began to get emotional. As I replayed the interview over and over, words kept coming to me...

The Rover

Dancing Days

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

When The Levee Breaks

In The Evening

Tea For One

The Battle Of Evermore

Kashmir

Their studio output is an embarrassment of riches. Our lives are a mere blip on the timeline of this planet, yet we just happen to share it with the greatest band that ever was. We should be grateful for this fact. The glass is half-full, and always has been.

What a wonderful time to be a Led Zeppelin fan.

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

...that was friggin right on!...well said.

Johnny Carson put Letterman to shame and so too Jay Leno. I never wasted my time watching him. Only watched to see Led Zeppelin. I only wonder how the hell he got them to show up on there? I know about the awards and all. He should have had Alec Baldwin come on first and sit with them. He is a big time Zepp fan and would have saved Letterman from making an ass of himself like he does every night. Never liked him. Never will.

Fine, so how about giving it a rest?

There is no excuse for Letterman's bullshit attempt at interviewing the best band of all time. None.

That's true. The interview would've been half-baked even if he had just been talking to Poison. I know Dave is a big Bruce Springsteen fan; would he have been that clueless if he got Springsteen on his show? Really surprised this wasn't better done on Dave and the show's part, but at the same time, just happy it exists at all. I wonder how it looked to the average TV viewer?

Archived