Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones to give rare interview on 'Letterman'

sam_webmaster

It's actually a well-used interview technique when interviewing someone who is actually there to promote something (which they were). to lift up the item in question (which you have been given in advance in order to do just that) and get the guest to explain it and present it the way they want it to be presented.

Letterman probably knew ALL ABOUT Celebration Day but it wouldn't have done the promotion much good for him to just sit there with that knowledge in his head.

Even if he didn't - HE didn't NEED to be told what was on the DVD - that's right, he could have read it himself - BUT THE AUDIENCE DID.

Asking the band to tell the audience what, when and where is completely normal and acceptable.

It was great to see the guys on TV.

It's actually a well-used interview technique when interviewing someone who is actually there to promote something (which they were). to lift up the item in question (which you have been given in advance in order to do just that) and get the guest to explain it and present it the way they want it to be presented.

Letterman probably knew ALL ABOUT Celebration Day but it wouldn't have done the promotion much good for him to just sit there with that knowledge in his head.

Even if he didn't - HE didn't NEED to be told what was on the DVD - that's right, he could have read it himself - BUT THE AUDIENCE DID.

Asking the band to tell the audience what, when and where is completely normal and acceptable.

Finally some reason.

Knebby you are in the unique spot of personally knowing the band so you would be able to tell more than the rest of us, but I thought by judging the body language that they had a blast. It is an entertainment show. Not some in depth interview. It was to sell copies of the DVD. No more or less.

Why The Hell every time i enter a thread, i find a massive argument going on about something or the other, so some think Letterman was an idiot, others think he was good, Fuck Letterman, this is a Led Zeppelin forum, not a place for chat show critics, i personally enjoyed the interview very much, the guys all together, and happy, and healthy, Some laughs from jonesy, and some good words from Jimmy, i Honestly never really paid attention to Dave's words, i was enjoying their rare appearance together, and not giving a fuck about anything else. You Should Too !!

i am :)

what was i expecting? for Letterman to at least have some basic knowledge of his guests, so, not much really! :)

I wasn't expecting much either Slave. That said, I seriously doubt that any of us who weren't thrilled by Daves approach, were expecting an in depth interview. For my part, I just found Dave to be a little on the bitchy side. Yes, it was great to see the guy's on TV and yes, they were promoting Celebration Day but, the 4 people involved in that interview had also just been honoured by the Kennedy Centre, a significant honour BTW, so with that in mind, I guess I was expecting Dave to be a little more gracious towards his guests than he was.

Super Fan...over and out :superman::lol:

I honestly don't think Letterman meant any disrespect.. It just came out wrong.. we all say things that come out awkward at times. I know I do.. That's why the boys shook it off. If they thought he was being an idiot, certainly Page would have either walked or blasted him.

I honestly don't think Letterman meant any disrespect.. It just came out wrong.. we all say things that come out awkward at times. I know I do.. That's why the boys shook it off. If they thought he was being an idiot, certainly Page would have either walked or blasted him.

You're probably right about all of that :yesnod: . Anywho, it's not like it's the end of the world. That's still a few days away :lol:

So our favorite band went on tv TOGETHER to promote Celebration Day and celebrate the Kennedy Center Awards and some of you find issues with it...Amazing to say the least. At least we have SOMETHING to look at! I can't wait to see the actual awards and the negativity from that show!

Jeff

Also i have seen david Letterman worse by far...the night he pushed Cher to sing with Sonny again when she REALLY did not want to...it was really awkward and at least he acknowledged they lost a member..Ithink the 3 have come off rather well but I dont scrutinize every expression or look...Glad to see them honored at least ...finally!

....just happened to go back and saw your "anthropological wonder" comment....that was friggin funny!...thanks for the "Late Night" laugh...cheers fdm12....Rich

Glad, I could give you a laugh! I was laughing myself at one point because why do I care what complete strangers think especially ones whose mind I’ll never change? It’s not like there was anything to be learned – at least in the political threads, I have the chance to learn something from some of the smart posters. Wait, I take that back. I learned about the telephone ringing in “The Ocean.” But alas, even on headphones, I couldn’t hear it. :(

Hilarious. In The Light since 1972. Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin. http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

Hey, that entry on your Tumblr was a great read. I feel that way about Kashmir, too. Every time I hear it, I think of driving from Marrakech to Agadir (which looks a lot like Arizona). It also makes me sad that I didn’t see Page & Plant – that version of Kashmir was like going to church.

"This thread is an anthropological wonder." Being a Neanderthal myself I find that statement highly offensive.

Of course, you would, you’re a Neanderthal :)

Why The Hell every time i enter a thread, i find a massive argument going on about something or the other, so some think Letterman was an idiot, others think he was good, Fuck Letterman, this is a Led Zeppelin forum, not a place for chat show critics, i personally enjoyed the interview very much, the guys all together, and happy, and healthy, Some laughs from jonesy, and some good words from Jimmy, i Honestly never really paid attention to Dave's words, i was enjoying their rare appearance together, and not giving a fuck about anything else. You Should Too !!

Its the nature of the beast dude. If you don't like it, don't read it. I have been a die hard Zeppeln fan before the internet existed and since 1970. They NEVER do this. NEVER. It was a rare rare moment and Letterman fucked it up. So we are pointing that out.

I loved the interview for what it was. Everyone seemed to be having a good time and it was fantastic to see them together. It doesn't surprise me at all that they were so gracious to Letterman eventhough it was clear he didn't know very much.

It's funny, where are all the "body language police" who picked the band apart after the press conferences? Everyone is so focused on Dave, to my eyes there was a lot of positive and friendly "body language" between the band members! Nice to see what looked like real comeraderie!

It's funny, where are all the "body language police" who picked the band apart after the press conferences? Everyone is so focused on Dave, to my eyes there was a lot of positive and friendly "body language" between the band members! Nice to see what looked like real comeraderie!

...yup, you are right. And I was one of the ones who picked apart their first ever news conference for Celebration Day, thinking their was tension and an unfriendliness amongst them, but since then I have seen the guys really being warm together and I have changed my tune. They looked like they were having fun on Letterman and at the kennedy Awards too.

If people don't like Letterman fine, but to accuse him of being disrespectful, missing an opportunity, & screwing up the interview is another, he did EXACTLY what he always does & if the band had a problem with it they wouldn't have been there. Plant has been a repeat guest, he once caused controversy by a hand gesture he made during an interview with Letterman in regards to Coverdale/Page. Letterman did not miss any of his opportunity's, in fact I'm sure he is quite content with his choices as his choices are not those who hate him choice's. I mean get over it. Rolling Stone has done nothing but kiss Zeppelin's collective ass since 1988 & yet a segment of superfans still can't let the 70's go... some who weren't even born yet & never knew the reviews first hand yet regurgitate the "Rolling Stone hates Zeppelin" nonsense. If one has a personal bias against Letterman or RS again fine but don't distort things for your own bias, I say that as someone who doesn't care for RS & it has nothing to do with Zeppelin. In a few weeks I will suffer watching Kid Rock perform a Zeppelin song, I have not seen or heard it but I'm pretty sure I'll loathe it, but I will not accuse him of "disrespecting" Zeppelin with his style, no I'll recognize he was graciously honoring them as was Letterman even though it's not my cup of tea.

I'm just here reading this thread... damn it's better than a soap opera please continue!

Okay seriously, it pisses me off, how some people try to force their opinion on others...

If someone liked it, let them like it. I liked it. It wasn't too professional or anything new in it, but they had fun, and as did I.

If someone doesn't like it, I'm okay with that too. We're not the same, we have different views on things.

And it's really getting tiring reading some people telling how they didn't like the interview over and over and over again... we got it for the first time really, now can we move on?

Who said I was directing "superfan" at you? Quite honestly I wasn't, but if you recognize yourself in what I said, well... not much I can do there. Again, Letterman did this interview as he has done every interview I've seen of his since 1984, the former members chose to be on the show, they were not blind sided by anything out of the ordinary on Letterman's part, they all seemed to enjoy themselves, & the name of the program is "Late Night With David Letterman" not "Late Night With Led Zeppelin To BeIdol Worshiped By David Letterman", &

sorry, i didn't say you were directing that at me. i was just stating that i wasn't that kind of fan ( stalkerish ), and that i didn't like you saying that about us on the other side of this discussion.

I GET that Letterman uses this style and always has. my gripe is the dead drummer bit, and not even knowing about the 02 concert or dvd.

again, I am thrilled to see them so happy together.

:peace::)

i get what you are saying here, knebby, and i agree.

but i really think it was a bit more than product placement. all interviews have their cd/dvd/book on show like that, and so they should, but Letterman just sounded so amateurish imo.

and the bonzo reference was tasteless, imo.

absolutely agree it was wonderful to see them together., and so comfortable with one another.

Archived