Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones to give rare interview on 'Letterman'

sam_webmaster

led-zeppelin_510x317.jpg

The revered rock band’s three surviving members — Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and current Rolling Stone cover boy Jimmy Page — have been confirmed for a rare TV interview on The Late Show With David Letterman next week, EW can exclusively announce.

The Led Zep vets have been spending a fair amount of time together lately as they promote this month’s Celebration Day, the DVD/CD version of the reunion-ish concert that they staged in London back in 2007. And as we reported last month, the trio’s encounter with the press resulted in “politely terse” to “cheekily hostile” interactions, especially regarding the question of a band reunion. All of this should hopefully make their chat with Dave an interesting one.

The interview will air on Monday, Dec. 3 — which, in fact, is the day after both Letterman and the Led Zep members will be honored at the 35th Annual Kennedy Center Honors in Washington, D.C. The ceremony itself will air on CBS on Dec. 26.

http://music-mix.ew....rman-interview/

This is great!!! I am more of a Leno guy but I will tape this one.

JFC!!

The discussion will be around the Kennedy Center Honors and what a hoot it was and oh, by the way, are you guys getting back together to play?

I would not be surprised to see Page, Plant and Jones doing a outro and/or a intro to a commercial break musically performing, what the song(s) would be, the imagination runs rampant with delight.

This is it, ladies and gentleman, the swan song to 2012. Enjoy it for what it is, Zeppelin minus the Led.

I said this on the other post, but.. why couldnt they do one acoustic song, just the three of them? Is it that difficult? I think that would be easier for Robert and more in the vain of what he is doing now? They seem to be getting along great, so why not? Doesnt even have to be a zep song in my opinion.....

If they didn't rehearse then they won't play. There will be no impromptu train wrecks to sully the live reputation they have restored with the 02 show. Enjoy the show for what will be: a discussion on their legacy & inevitable reunion question that will be avoided with a direct answer.

I think it's odd that the three are going to get interviewed at the same time. Odd, not as in the sense they're planning a tour but odd as in "Why bother"? Promo for the DVD could have as easily been done by either of the three without all the awkwardness that is sure to arise from that interview.

That said, I'll be watching...

I think it's partly to due with proximity as Letterman is being honored at the same event & partly with the holidays why not promote their product especially since it's convenient. They get to reinforce their legacy with minimal effort so it's a win/win on every level.

If Letterman asks the reunion question, I hope Robert punches him right in the face!

Actually, David Letterman, Zep, Buddy Guy, & Dustin Hoffman and the other nominee, Russian-born Prima Ballerina Natalia Makarova, will all have serveral oppurtunites to hob-nob today and tomorrow. So it won't be David's first interaction with them Monday evening on the show.

So if they follow the previous Kennedy Center Honors timetable, then:

Saturday, they all will be attending a Gala Luncheon at the Kennedy Center.

Then Saturday evening, they all will be going to the US State Dept. for a Reception and a State Dept. Dinner.

Then early Sunday evening they all will go to the White House to receive their Kennedy Center Medals from the President.

Then, they all will go to the Kennedy Center for the Program.

As for the Letterman interview..... it will be all fluff I presume. What else could it be. What does David Letterman really personally know about Zeppelin anyway ? Does anyone know if he, or the other nominess, Buddy Guy and Dustin Hoffman, ever got around to going to see Led Zeppelin in concert, back in the day ? ? ?

Letterman was 21 when Led Zeppelin I was released. I was 22 when Van Halen released their debut LP, and I wanted and did go see them in concert twice that year. So where was Letterman's head in 1968, 1969, etc.... ? ? ?

IF, the boys were going to to do a "real" interview, they would go on for an hour with Piers Morgan. And thats the facts!

Letterman is neither a journalist nor a music expert; he doesn't pretend to be anything but a comedic talk show host. He was clearly charmed by Robert in his past appearances on the show so I would expect it to be a warm and engaging but superficial chat. I don't think he'll ask about a reunion.

Piers Morgan doesn't even rate a mention in my book. Sorry - nothing personal, Rover, I just think he's hack who creates faux drama for ratings and self-promotion. His Twitter account is a good reflection of this. A more credible "real" interviewer would be Charlie Rose (although he can sometimes get in the way) who did a great interview with Robert in 2007, along with countless other artists, writers, directors, actors, politicians, journalists, scientists, thinkers, etc. That might be the most interesting but it depends on how much time he had - probably not much.

I think a reunion question would make it very awkward between the 3 of them on a small setting like Letterman.

Maybe, but you know it's coming, has to come actually.

It must be killing Jimmy inside to be doing this press with the guys with no hope for a tour/shows at all.

Maybe, but you know it's coming, has to come actually.

It must be killing Jimmy inside to be doing this press with the guys with no hope for a tour/shows at all.

I don't think it is bothering Jimmy as bad as people think.

In the RS article he says, when asked "does he miss the creative momentum he had with Zeppelin in the Seventies?"

And he answers, "Not on the level people would probably assume." He feels his primary job now is guardian of the Zeppelin legacy. "It was important to do that," he insists. "And that has proved to be the right decision."- 12/6/2012 Rolling Stone p. 46

From the photos posted of the KCH dinner, he is having the time of his life fostering that legacy!

I have met Dave back in the 1980's and he's not as wacky as his tv persona. He was at Cincinnati Reds game. I think it will be great myself. And Paul Shaffer actually played keys on the Honeydrippers lp, and with Robert's Saturday Night Live appearance on Santa's Back, which I think is a superb Christmas song.....

Archived