Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones to give rare interview on 'Letterman'

sam_webmaster

Hey Rick, how do you feel about Letterman? It's so hard to tell...

:D

Thank you for saying something. Damn Rick! I think you mentioned at least 4 times that you hate Letterman. We get it. There is no reason to say it anymore. The horse is dead and has been reduced to bones at this point so stop beating it.

Exactly. And they chose his show - precisely, because it would NOT be an in-depth interview. So he stumbled while talking about John Bonham. Have you never heard anyone stumble when referring to someone's passing? Some of my very best friends still do that when they talk to me about my father. It's pretty human thing and understandable which I imagine is why they were so gracious about it.

I love this response. Now I'll agree he could have had more fun with the questions like this. They are right up his alley even!

to forget someones name while talking to/about them happens to everyone now and again. i don't think this was quite the same. Letterman should have been more prepared for the interview, end of story. it was a rare occasion to have them all in the same interview.

i'm not looking for an argument here, just putting my point of view. :) and as i said before, it was fabulous to see them so at ease with eachother, and all looking so well and happy.

i would've liked to be a fly on the wall in their green room after the interview! :)

No matter the slight, real or imagined, the so-called "superfan" of whatever the person, place, or thing will not let it go as they always know best & any mythical status that they apply to that person place or thing must be adhered to by everyone & a stalker like passion expressed. Lol. It's simply juvenile which is fine if one happens to be but if one is an adult it's borderline crazy. I'm sure all the parties involved in the interview felt it went just fine. Now the "superfans" can go back & can continue to criticize Page for his website, criticize Plant for following his own muse, & continue to ignore JPJ in the scheme of things, after all the "superfan" always knows best. And fdm 12 none of that was directed at you, just judging by some of the responses in this thread I can already see which "superfans" will get themselves banned from the forum for their idealized passions & it's always hoot to watch. The rest of us will merely have to content ourselves to just being regular fans who enjoy what was Zeppelin for what they were as we count our blessings for the last moments they are now sharing with us.

i resent what you are implying here.

i don't regard myself as a "superfan",as you put it. not even close. i have very limited knowledge of the band, only what i have read here over the years.

i am not stalker-like by any stretch, . i have not criticized the guys at all, just parts of the interview. :)

why do some people always turn different points of view into put-downs? it's a forum, some of you need to remember that!

Maybe not blackened eyes but surely, any interviewer should be fairly well prepared no matter who their guest is. Maybe I just saw the whole Letterman segmant a little differently but it looked and sounded to me as if Dave , being a Kennedy recipient himself, was almost going out of his way not to be upstaged by the band. To the point, IMHO, of making a bit of an ass of himself. I think the guy's sensed that and for the most part, tried to accomodate him as much as they could. Let's not forget, it was Letterman who asked the questions, not the other way around

thank you ally, at least some people here get it. :)

I like when Letterman asked about the CD/DVD....

Something in the ball park of, "Now when was this, and where"?

Hey, Dave, the answer lies right smack dab on the back cover of the package...(that was facing you).

Did he even look at the thing? Guess not.

Hard to believe sometimes this guys been on TV hosting/interviewing people for 30 years.

My favorite member of the night was JPJ, hands down. He seemed to give Dave a sarcastic/witty comment every time he had a chance.. (mostly, the word "no", with a roll of the eyes :rolleyes: ) But it was all in good fun.

Great stuff.

:goodpost:

....and here I thought this thread was supposed to be in celebration and the pleasure of seeing the boys out and about again. -_-

For many of us, it was!

I expect they gained some new fans who found them super-chouette (with no have cray-cray expectations about a comedy host) along with a very popular/cool representative of another generation carrying the LZ love through the show. You don't think that was planned?

That's how the PR machine works but in this case the hype was the truth :)

I don't venture on this site anymore and just dropped in to see if there was any information about when the Kennedy Center Awards would be broadcasted. Upon viewing some of the comments in this thread, it really is quite striking how juvenile some people are acting. (But not surprising considering how most of the elder members left for this reason).

First off, who cares how many times you saw Led Zeppelin and how many albums you own? It doesn't mean a damn thing when you show yourself as a complete jackass in a conversation that should be celebrating these guys getting together for the last time. If your disdain and contempt is boiling over because there won't be a tour, you need to get over it. They don't owe you nor I or anyone a fucking thing. The music is there for us to enjoy. If you want more Led Zeppelin, go on YouTube and listen to some boots. There's plenty. Stop bitching about nothing. All of you complaining makes Robert's decision not to do a reunion resonate clearer and true. If he did, the first time his voice cracked or Jimmy's fingers went to shit mid-solo, there would be 10 threads here about how these guys 'can't play anymore and shouldn't have toured.' Typical for some of you.

Second. David Letterman has been a weak interviewer is entire career. And his 'drummer' comment may have sounded in poor taste and his lack of knowledge of their DVD may be clear, but what exactly were you expecting? Letterman to get indepth about Led Zeppelin? Letterman doesn't get indepth about anything with anyone. They did his show because they both received the award. Plain and simple. I thought the interview went fine. I thought all three had a great time. I personally would have loved to seen them do an Elvis Christmas tune with Paul & Co but that just wasn't going to happen. And I'm ok with it. Robert seemed very upbeat. Jimmy seemed youthful as ever and Jonesy seemed to handle his place 'in the first chair' with dignity that did the band proud (as the other two clearly showed with their pearly whites several times).

Their legacy is intact. And they know it. They have nothing left to prove. Yes, it's obvious Jimmy has mixed feelings about the post-O2 situation. But it's also obvious he is clearly enjoying the present. And so is Robert. And so is Jonesy.

And so should you.

I don't venture on this site anymore and just dropped in to see if there was any information about when the Kennedy Center Awards would be broadcasted. Upon viewing some of the comments in this thread, it really is quite striking how juvenile some people are acting. (But not surprising considering how most of the elder members left for this reason).

First off, who cares how many times you saw Led Zeppelin and how many albums you own? It doesn't mean a damn thing when you show yourself as a complete jackass in a conversation that should be celebrating these guys getting together for the last time. If your disdain and contempt is boiling over because there won't be a tour, you need to get over it. They don't owe you nor I or anyone a fucking thing. The music is there for us to enjoy. If you want more Led Zeppelin, go on YouTube and listen to some boots. There's plenty. Stop bitching about nothing. All of you complaining makes Robert's decision not to do a reunion resonate clearer and true. If he did, the first time his voice cracked or Jimmy's fingers went to shit mid-solo, there would be 10 threads here about how these guys 'can't play anymore and shouldn't have toured.' Typical for some of you.

Second. David Letterman has been a weak interviewer is entire career. And his 'drummer' comment may have sounded in poor taste and his lack of knowledge of their DVD may be clear, but what exactly were you expecting? Letterman to get indepth about Led Zeppelin? Letterman doesn't get indepth about anything with anyone. They did his show because they both received the award. Plain and simple. I thought the interview went fine. I thought all three had a great time. I personally would have loved to seen them do an Elvis Christmas tune with Paul & Co but that just wasn't going to happen. And I'm ok with it. Robert seemed very upbeat. Jimmy seemed youthful as ever and Jonesy seemed to handle his place 'in the first chair' with dignity that did the band proud (as the other two clearly showed with their pearly whites several times).

Their legacy is intact. And they know it. They have nothing left to prove. Yes, it's obvious Jimmy has mixed feelings about the post-O2 situation. But it's also obvious he is clearly enjoying the present. And so is Robert. And so is Jonesy.

And so should you.

i am :)

what was i expecting? for Letterman to at least have some basic knowledge of his guests, so, not much really! :)

Upon trying to watch the interview a second time (and not being able to make it), I have to admit, this was Dave's worst 14 minutes ever. It's too clear he's trying to talk to them about Buddy Guy, any other British band they might be tangentially related to, or Elvis to reach for something he might actually be conversant on. I don't expect him to ask Jimmy about his time with Neil Christian and the Crusaders or the differences in Les Paul #1 and #2, but geez, a marginal knowledge would've helped.

On the other hand, if it was a basketball player or a Formula One driver, stuff Dave actually has a deep interest in, he could've talked expertly about it all day, and I would be clueless. Maybe to the average radio listener this interview was fine. Most people aren't classic rock aficionados.

This thread is an anthropological wonder.

I can't wait until the Charlie Rose interview. The "diehard" and "super fans" will be sure to find deep insults, horrific disrespect, and undeserved access once an in-depth interview from a real journalist and a self-professed fan is broadcast

You think Letterman did a fine job? And was articulate when it came to their influences? Oh, saying that their music was all about Viking sex? The man is a jackass.

So your cup is half empty? Letterman is a comedian as well. Maybe, just maybe you missed that. Letterman mentioned influences I didn't know about. Did you also notice that none of the band members answered his question about their sound? That was rude imho. To be honest, Jimmy Fallon would have been a better interviewer. He might have know more about the band.

Jeff

i resent what you are implying here.

i don't regard myself as a "superfan",as you put it. not even close. i have very limited knowledge of the band, only what i have read here over the years.

i am not stalker-like by any stretch, . i have not criticized the guys at all, just parts of the interview. :)

why do some people always turn different points of view into put-downs? it's a forum, some of you need to remember that!

Who said I was directing "superfan" at you? Quite honestly I wasn't, but if you recognize yourself in what I said, well... not much I can do there. Again, Letterman did this interview as he has done every interview I've seen of his since 1984, the former members chose to be on the show, they were not blind sided by anything out of the ordinary on Letterman's part, they all seemed to enjoy themselves, & the name of the program is "Late Night With David Letterman" not "Late Night With Led Zeppelin To BeIdol Worshiped By David Letterman", &

I'm sorry, but I don't get the ongoing negativity on this thread from some people!! And really, it pisses me off a lot..

Instead of shutting your mouth and being grateful for these three gods to appear on TV for a mass audience you go on and on and on about bleeding Letterman and reading body language...Really??? Letterman was NOT the centre of attention for me. I loved the interview simply because it was such a rare occasion. When have you last seen these three on TV for an interview?? Yeah, exactly, many moons ago..JPJ's priceless humour and the overall relaxed atmosphere made this a joy to watch.

I, for one, feel entirely lucky to experience all this. I'm far too young to have seen them in the 70's, but seen 2 of them in concert and met one of them and there's nothing more I could ever ask for. These past months have been a great time to be a Zeppelin fan and it fills my heart with pride and joy to be able to say that I respect and love these 3 men for all the joy they've given me. THAT'S why I don't go on about Letterman's quality as an interviewer. I simply couldn't care less..

Do any of you moaning minnies remember laughter??

P.S.: Talking of "casual fans": those fans will be the ones flying the Zeppelin flag when all you "life-long fans" have kicked the bucket, so don't have the audacity to moan about that!! I think it's wonderful that life-long fans are still going strong, but some people's arrogance towards new fans is just disgusting..Pack it in..

Well said. And don't listen to the negativity from LedZepfan77. He dissed me as well.

Jeff

I like when Letterman asked about the CD/DVD....

Something in the ball park of, "Now when was this, and where"?

Hey, Dave, the answer lies right smack dab on the back cover of the package...(that was facing you).

Did he even look at the thing? Guess not.

Hard to believe sometimes this guys been on TV hosting/interviewing people for 30 years.

My favorite member of the night was JPJ, hands down. He seemed to give Dave a sarcastic/witty comment every time he had a chance.. (mostly, the word "no", with a roll of the eyes :rolleyes: ) But it was all in good fun.

Great stuff.

Wow! Really?! Maybe if you looked at it from HIS perspective! How about people in the audience or watching on TV that didn't know this was coming out or that it happened?! Now people will be curious. It's his job to get the guests involved to speak!

Jeff

This thread is an anthropological wonder.

I can't wait until the Charlie Rose interview. The "diehard" and "super fans" will be sure to find deep insults, horrific disrespect, and undeserved access once an in-depth interview from a real journalist and a self-professed fan is broadcast

....just happened to go back and saw your "anthropological wonder" comment....that was friggin funny!...thanks for the "Late Night" laugh...cheers fdm12....Rich

I enjoyed the show, of course it could have been more, but it sure could have been less too. My fantasy would have been to have the 3 of them playing Going To California in a soft light.. but since theyy didn't... I did think it was interesting that meeting Elvis came up again, after just being discussed last year on the same show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXoHuEaPMG8

I can't really see how the names of those songs reminded you remotely in anyway of that interview but to each their own.

If it wasn't for the three men on that stage I would not have those songs in my life.

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

Archived