Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones to give rare interview on 'Letterman'

sam_webmaster

With all due respect, it's not about being negative . It's about some of us thinking that Dave could have been better. Only an opinion, nothing more :peace: .

But "better" how? That's vague. Letterman was just typical Letterman, they chose to go on his show, & he delivered typical Letterman as he has for the last 30 years to his core audience who tune in for him as opposed to his guests. I mean do Zach Efron fans complain about Letterman being "unprepared" & "disreprectful to the greatest singer/actor EVER" as Letterman delivers typical Letterman? Again, he didn't drop the ball, he didn't miss an opportunity, he wasn't disrespectful, he was totally consistent to being the comedic host on the entertainment show that has bared his name for 30 years & like it or not that's what the viewer gets which is Letterman & not the guest leading the proceedings. Don't like Letterman, again fine, but don't distort or make up things because the performer who one likes that went on his show & he gave that performer his well known treatment. It's just silly.

Defining a superfan: a fan who beats their chest over how much more a fan of a person, place, or thing than other fans of the same to only massage their own self inflated ego in regards to the "object" of their obsessive affection which at the least comes across as overbearing & at the most creepy as rationale & logic cannot penetrate the single-mindedness of the superfan's psych. That my fellow forum members is what a superfan is & we've all seen them in action, seen them get banned due to their behavior, & then come back under a new guise while not acknowledging their former guise as they follow their same single-minded obsessive pattern.

+ 1

+

bth_x5tgro_th-1.jpg

Defining a SUPERFAN. One that has his ticket stub 35 years later. One that has it written in his will that Stairway be played at his funeral, and only the Led Zeppelin version on CD. And one that has bought the entire collection many times over on each technological advanced device that comes along. One that is willing to take numerous hits on a website regarless of the humiliation of being a multi banned exile. One that is simply a SUPERFAN LIKE ME!!!!!

:lol:

Now run along now and play!

bth_clint.jpg

But "better" how? That's vague. Letterman was just typical Letterman, they chose to go on his show, & he delivered typical Letterman as he has for the last 30 years to his core audience who tune in for him as opposed to his guests. I mean do Zach Efron fans complain about Letterman being "unprepared" & "disreprectful to the greatest singer/actor EVER" as Letterman delivers typical Letterman? Again, he didn't drop the ball, he didn't miss an opportunity, he wasn't disrespectful, he was totally consistent to being the comedic host on the entertainment show that has bared his name for 30 years & like it or not that's what the viewer gets which is Letterman & not the guest leading the proceedings. Don't like Letterman, again fine, but don't distort or make up things because the performer who one likes that went on his show & he gave that performer his well known treatment. It's just silly.

i don't mean to speak for ally, and correct me if i am wrong, ally ....

but you are really missing his ( and my )point .

Led Zeppelin are no flash in the pan, they have been consistently popular for 40 years, earned a little respect, wouldn't you say? they are part of our history-pop culture. Letterman is of similar age, and has been in his business for a long time, which is basically pop culture, without which he would scarcely have a job.

ally hasn't distorted anything, he has an opinion, just like you and i do.

and zach effron?

What's silly, is the nastiness involved in this debate. Some of us have stated our opinion and it differs from others...nothing more. There is no cause to champion here so lets just agree to disagree and move on.

i don't mean to speak for ally, and correct me if i am wrong, ally ....

but you are really missing his ( and my )point .

Led Zeppelin are no flash in the pan, they have been consistently popular for 40 years, earned a little respect, wouldn't you say? they are part of our history-pop culture. Letterman is of similar age, and has been in his business for a long time, which is basically pop culture, without which he would scarcely have a job.

ally hasn't distorted anything, he has an opinion, just like you and i do.

and zach effron?

I was speaking in general when I said "distort", not at ally specifically or even at all, just those with a biased superfan mentality. I brought up Zack Efron as an example from a different world from Zep as the superfans of his I'm sure are having a similar discussion somewhere about some imagined slight at the hands of a Letterman or whomever as the performer/artist/celebrity can be interchangeable in regards to the "distorted" superfan mentality.

What's silly, is the nastiness involved in this debate. Some of us have stated our opinion and it differs from others...nothing more. There is no cause to champion here so lets just agree to disagree and move on.

I apologize if some of what I said, particularly at the end seemed directed at you as I was just in a fed up rant at the negativity & spread it everywhere, not at those expressing their opinions & nothing more but expressing their opinions & much much more. I didn't even jump into this thread initially until I saw how rotten & unbalanced it was becoming with all this finger pointing & chest beating, that's when I added my 2 cents & once I join the fray, well then I'm in it. With all this Zeppelin activity going on I'd like to have positive, reasonable, & shared discussions rather than hyperbole & fanboy sloganing, again not directed at you, but it's almost impossible to do so.

I apologize if some of what I said, particularly at the end seemed directed at you as I was just in a fed up rant at the negativity & spread it everywhere, not at those expressing their opinions & nothing more but expressing their opinions & much much more. I didn't even jump into this thread initially until I saw how rotten & unbalanced it was becoming with all this finger pointing & chest beating, that's when I added my 2 cents & once I join the fray, well then I'm in it. With all this Zeppelin activity going on I'd like to have positive, reasonable, & shared discussions rather than hyperbole & fanboy sloganing, again not directed at you, but it's almost impossible to do so.

No problem Kaiser. We're all good :):beer:

....and here I thought this thread was supposed to be in celebration and the pleasure of seeing the boys out and about again. -_-

it's really sad isn't it?? some people just lose the overall plot.. :thumbdown: so much negativity..

I liked the part where Dave shared how I think Page, said to him that musicians enjoy playing zeppelin music because its fun to play. Also when page talked about how he and Jeff Beck listened to Buddy Guy playing on records. How cool is that. Also the humor...to hear them laughing out loud... Jones describing the music with the immigrant song riff. Hilarious to me. I thought it was good.

Did that Letterman wanker not even know the name of the drummer that died in 1980? I was feeling uncomfortable for them when he asked that. I wonder if the guys are planning any TV appearances in the UK as a threesome

bth_x5tgro_th-1.jpg

Defining a SUPERFAN. One that has his ticket stub 35 years later. One that has it written in his will that Stairway be played at his funeral, and only the Led Zeppelin version on CD. And one that has bought the entire collection many times over on each technological advanced device that comes along. One that is willing to take numerous hits on a website regarless of the humiliation of being a multi banned exile. One that is simply a SUPERFAN LIKE ME!!!!!

:lol:

Now run along now and play!

bth_clint.jpg

My wallet was stolen in highschool in 1973, in it was my ticket stub from the Tampa show...my better half bought me a Led Zep t-shirt with the Tampa show ticket on it...THAT they will have to pry from my hands, if they get that far!

Jeff

As Grand Moff Tarkin aka Peter Cushing said: "This bickering is pointless."

My sources inform me that the Mayan aliens, who were due to land on 21st December, have noted this oft outrageous thread (along with most of the internet), and have called off bringing eternal peace and enlightenment to humanity. Nice one, superfans. Hope you're happy now. So it goes, as Mr Vonnegut would say. And all because of a bloody light entertainment show...

And so, I'm off with my vinyl discs, a wind-up turntable with an eight-foot horn speaker, and am preparing to be a one-man rave machine, bringing the groovy sounds of Zep and other cool artists to the post-apocalypse invite-only party. Obsessives and irony-free people needn't apply. Even the undead, such as Christopher Lee as Dracula, have a better sense of humour than some of the nincompoops online. See, it's so easy to type... so hard to show some restraint. The aliens see this and are buggering off to Alpha Centuari, where folks are well-more chilled out, even without Zep. Fancy that!

What alludes me is what everyone was expecting. Did you think it would be the second coming of Christ or Elijah? Did you think Letterman is a fan? So he forgot Bonham's name, that is forgivable. The man has been dead for 32 years now, it is not like he recently passed away.

The band no longer exist as Led Zeppelin so why would they perform on the show?

They came, they laughed, they entertained. And those who tuned in to the show who are not fans are now aware of the Celebration DVD/CD and caught a rare glimpse at the three bandmates enjoying themselves on national tv.

And I get the feeling that the three guys would find all of this bickering to be rather pointless and childish. I know I do.

well said....I have a hunch that there are a lot of folks on this forum I could probably spend some good times with,`ìn real life lol``and not just because of the Led Zep connection in this forum. I can feel it in their words.......Then, there are also a few I wouldn`t open my door too. I can feel that in their words also. Those folks almost seem to be listening to a completely different band......such is life......

well said....I have a hunch that there are a lot of folks on this forum I could probably spend some good times with,`ìn real life lol``and not just because of the Led Zep connection in this forum. I can feel it in their words.......Then, there are also a few I wouldn`t open my door too. I can feel that in their words also. Those folks almost seem to be listening to a completely different band......such is life......

Yes, there are plenty of great people on this forum and it's not always the case that they agree with each other all the time either. I'd describe most of us here as passionate fans and people who want the best for the band and it's individual members but sometimes, we just disagree on what that is. I also think that at times, that passion can get in the way of what we're trying to communicate to each other but I honestly do feel that the vast majority of us do have our hearts in the right place.

why oh bloody WHY, do some people call discussing things on a FORUM, BICKERING???????

:wall:

so you'd rather 100% of the members to come on here and say "ooh, look at robert, he's so cute, and jimmy too, ooh and jonesy is too cool for school " and nothing more?

yeah, i'd keep coming here for that.

NOT!

why oh bloody WHY, do some people call discussing things on a FORUM, BICKERING???????

:wall:

so you'd rather 100% of the members to come on here and say "ooh, look at robert, he's so cute, and jimmy too, ooh and jonesy is too cool for school " and nothing more?

yeah, i'd keep coming here for that.

NOT!

My bad. This is my fault and I guess a character flaw of mine. I have a low tolerance for *discussion at times. If discussing whether or not a talk show host did their job correctly in interviewing Led Zeppelin is what you need, then please continue. I saw three men I deeply admire and respect on television and love, and seeing them in such good spirits after receiving an incredible award. Plus, they are alive and doing phenomenally well. No complaints here. We do need to have the freedom of opinion. So please express yourself freely.

(*or bickering.)

My bad. This is my fault and I guess a character flaw of mine. I have a low tolerance for *discussion at times. If discussing whether or not a talk show host did their job correctly in interviewing Led Zeppelin is what you need, then please continue. I saw three men I deeply admire and respect on television and love, and seeing them in such good spirits after receiving an incredible award. Plus, they are alive and doing phenomenally well. No complaints here. We do need to have the freedom of opinion. So please express yourself freely.

(*or bickering.)

thank you texas melanie,:) i actually saw the same thing as you, but wanted to discuss the interview. it's all good. :)

Archived