Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones to give rare interview on 'Letterman'

sam_webmaster

Yes, there are plenty of great people on this forum and it's not always the case that they agree with each other all the time either. I'd describe most of us here as passionate fans and people who want the best for the band and it's individual members but sometimes, we just disagree on what that is. I also think that at times, that passion can get in the way of what we're trying to communicate to each other but I honestly do feel that the vast majority of us do have our hearts in the right place.

Here here or hear hear, either way agreed.

I finally watched this and I thought it was a fun segment and it seemed as though they were all enjoying it. RP was twitchy as always, JP seemed relaxed and comfortable, and JPJ was really funny. I always think JPJ seems stiff, both in posture and manner of speaking, but he made me laugh out loud. After those godawful press conferences, maybe they just enjoyed a lighthearted chat. Dave is not the best interviewer and he is rarely serious. I don't watch him much only because he's on too late for me, but it is a comedy show first and foremost.

I finally watched this and I thought it was a fun segment and it seemed as though they were all enjoying it. RP was twitchy as always, JP seemed relaxed and comfortable, and JPJ was really funny. I always think JPJ seems stiff, both in posture and manner of speaking, but he made me laugh out loud. After those godawful press conferences, maybe they just enjoyed a lighthearted chat. Dave is not the best interviewer and he is rarely serious. I don't watch him much only because he's on too late for me, but it is a comedy show first and foremost.

Interesting take. Not knowing them personally you can't tell how real or staged their public persona is, but from this interview i sensed that JPJ suffers no fools and is quiet, his one liners were hilarious. RP seems the easiest person to engage and have a conversation with. JP seemed twitchy with the gum chewing and face touching - two things you don't do when you are on camera. Letterman was an odd choice to me, but likely he was tagged as part of the CBS publicity package for the Kennedy Honours.

I agree with this. JPJ always talks like he's got something in his mouth or something...I don't know how to describe it. His one liners were great and his power chord riffing when asked to describe Zep to someone was great! Plant seemed like he was getting on Letterman's nerve, when DL suggested they take their shirts off and Plant said "not in here, it's so cold", and DL said, peevishly, "Yes, yes" sort of like "yeah, I know, heard it, tired of hearing it". Pagey seemed up for it, he was all aglow talking about the STH performance, I thought I saw Plant kind of roll his eyes, lol!

It was a decent quick interview.

I agree with this. JPJ always talks like he's got something in his mouth or something...I don't know how to describe it. His one liners were great and his power chord riffing when asked to describe Zep to someone was great! Plant seemed like he was getting on Letterman's nerve, when DL suggested they take their shirts off and Plant said "not in here, it's so cold", and DL said, peevishly, "Yes, yes" sort of like "yeah, I know, heard it, tired of hearing it". Pagey seemed up for it, he was all aglow talking about the STH performance, I thought I saw Plant kind of roll his eyes, lol!

It was a decent quick interview.

Letterman keeps his set frigid, it's almost a running joke. Dave wasn't really peevish about it, he's just used to hearing the guests complain. I'm still giggling thinking about JPJ doing the immigrant song riff. :P

Yes, there are plenty of great people on this forum and it's not always the case that they agree with each other all the time either. I'd describe most of us here as passionate fans and people who want the best for the band and it's individual members but sometimes, we just disagree on what that is. I also think that at times, that passion can get in the way of what we're trying to communicate to each other but I honestly do feel that the vast majority of us do have our hearts in the right place.

...just not a big fan when the word "idiot" is used by some......although, it actually says a lot more about the user....cheers

Just my two cents:

Personally, I thought the interview was fun and hilarious (loved a lot of JPJ's responses). Yes, I am a fan of Letterman and yes, I do find him funny (a goofball but funny nevertheless!)

Also, it was lovely seeing Robert, Jimmy and JPJ together, sitting there discussing music and having a couple of laughs with Dave! It certainly made my day and it certainly put a huge smile on my face :)

I honestly did not tune in to be nit-picky or curse Letterman. I tuned in because I felt incredibly lucky to get this one rare and amazing opportunity to catch these 3 amazing gentlemen who needless to say, have contributed so much to music for over 4 decades! It was a lovely moment for me, seeing it on T.V with my dad (who like me is a fan of Led Zeppelin).

Was it the most perfect fuckin' interview on the planet? Well, no BUT it was a moment in time which I will fuckin' well cherish for the rest of my life! That's for damn sure!

It might be folly to ask, "What did Rob mean when..." but I'll give it a go. At the very start of the interview, Mr. Plant contrasts the fun & ease of the Kennedy Center experience with what he cryptically refers to as "the event that's held across the river."

Hmmm. After pondering for awhile, my only guess is he was talking about the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame induction? I really don't know.

I think he was talking about receiving an award back in England where he met Prince Charles, and a few other British dignetaries, but I could be wrong...

It might be folly to ask, "What did Rob mean when..." but I'll give it a go. At the very start of the interview, Mr. Plant contrasts the fun & ease of the Kennedy Center experience with what he cryptically refers to as "the event that's held across the river."

Hmmm. After pondering for awhile, my only guess is he was talking about the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame induction? I really don't know.

I think he was talking about receiving an award back in England where he met Prince Charles, and a few other British dignetaries, but I could be wrong...I think it is a Commander in Chief award...

post-18747-0-82043100-1355164884.jpg

Thank you, Fishhead, that interpretation makes much more sense. Actually, as I listen to the Letterman interview again I should have heard that Robert corrected "over the river" to "over the water" and then said something about them being a bit stiff over there. From now on, I'm going to cast runes when he says something I don't understand - that should help.

How very kind of Jimmy to praise Ann & Nancy Wilson as doing a "superb job" on Stairway. They must have been doing hand-springs when they heard that, they're superfans. On their latest tour, the Wilsons come out on stage to the intro of "In the Light." There is always at least one Zep cover in their set.

Robert was not impressed though, that's gotta smart a little.

Thank you, Fishhead, that interpretation makes much more sense. Actually, as I listen to the Letterman interview again I should have heard that Robert corrected "over the river" to "over the water" and then said something about them being a bit stiff over there. From now on, I'm going to cast runes when he says something I don't understand - that should help.

How very kind of Jimmy to praise Ann & Nancy Wilson as doing a "superb job" on Stairway. They must have been doing hand-springs when they heard that, they're superfans. On their latest tour, the Wilsons come out on stage to the intro of "In the Light." There is always at least one Zep cover in their set.

Robert was not impressed though, that's gotta smart a little.

I agree with JP78, Robert did kind shake his head and look over at Paul with a smirk when the "Stairway" reference was made by Dave. As most know, Robert would rather talk about Kashmir as the ultimate Zep tune instead of that "that wedding song" lol, that everyone keeps bringing up.......I am sure he loves the Wilson sisters.

I think he was talking about receiving an award back in England where he met Prince Charles, and a few other British dignetaries, but I could be wrong...I think it is a Commander in Chief award...

Hmm...I read it differently. I thought he meant that the room full of politicians was much more relaxed and friendly compared to all the bickering happening in Congress "across the river". I mean since he lives here for most of the time, he's probably aware of all the issues going on in Washington.

But that's just my take.

I really can't wait for the Charlie Rose interview..god that'll be entertaining going through the thread for the interview

I'll just sit and read :coffee:

......Imagine if we all just sat and read....there'd be nothing to read......

• 11 months later...

Archived