Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones to give rare interview on 'Letterman'

sam_webmaster

I thought it was a good segment. JImmy was an absolute delight. I love seeing him get really excited, as he did when talking about Buddy guy, and how Stairway was played at the Kennedy Center. Jonesy and his dry humor was spot-on. He may not say much, but when he does, it's a zinger. Robert was also pretty funny. Glad that Dave avoided the reunion question. It's been beaten to death, if you ask me. All in all, very enjoyable. They guys seemed to enjoy themselves.

John Krasinskl was really treat. You can tell he's a big fan.

My husband woke me up to watch the show as I fell asleep.

I loved that JPJ sat next to Dave. At first I thought,"oh, no!", but it turned out well! We got to see JPJ's wonderful sense of humor!

My husband's humor is exactly like JPJ's. He is very quiet, doesn't speak up much, but then he comes up with very funny comments about things at the most opportune moments.

Dave did seem to be nervous interviewing them. I think that Jimmy tried to help him out a bit in a couple of instances. I loved Jimmy's enthusiasm in talking about the old blues masters, and how passionate he was in talking about the "Stairway" performance at the Kennnedy Center.

Robert looked fantastic and I think that he held back a bit to let the other two have a bit of the spotlight and I really respect him for it. He is very cleaver and articulate and It would have been a bit different interview if Robert sat next to Dave, but he possibly would have been asked "the question", who knows.

They all did a great job! Love you, guys!

+1!

It did seem Robert was personally attacking Jonesy "it's the most he's ever said" Jonesy's facial expression straight after showed he thought Robert was being a bit annoying. Probably all done in good humour though, Jimmy seemed to be dancing around quite a lot! He's probably ecstatic as us the 3 boys are back together-ish

Letterman should be slapped.. Very insensitive comments on John Bonham. the guy is a dick. Everyone I know agrees. He refers to their music as Viking sex? WTF??? Because of the Immigrant Song? fuck him

That's what Jack Black said at the KC Honors. Don't jump on Dave for that.

Stop being so sensitive. It's just a late night comedy talk show. Charlie Rose will do the in depth thing on the CBS morning news.

Man....folks should just relax with the whole reading into the body language and hating on Letterman etc. etc.

Take it for what it was - a fun night, with a host that's not such a big fan (probably nervous), an appreciative audience, and a chance for us to even see the three of them on T.V. (well until the more serious interview is aired with Charlie Rose)

And as for Robert being a wise ass, I thought folks would be used to his dry wit and wry sense of humor by now. -_-

I still see him as the 'baby' of the group who always tries to get a wisecrack in there and the older boys might roll their eyes, but are used to his antics already.

^

Yes to both of you.

Louise Mensch who attended with her husband Peter and Jimmy raved about the entire weekend (as did Peter) and the Letterman show. She even made a joke about becoming a Democrat because she was so charmed by both Obamas and Hillary. She also promoted the Letterman appearance tweeting, "Watch, it's hilarious."

If the band felt differently, I'm sure she wouldn't be tweeting that.

Letterman should be slapped.. Very insensitive comments on John Bonham. the guy is a dick. Everyone I know agrees. He refers to their music as Viking sex? WTF??? Because of the Immigrant Song? fuck him

LOL!!!!!!! Don't hold back! I do have to agree though! When watching, I thought 'Viking sex????? WTF? Is that the only song you know Dave? The Immigrant Song? Is that the only thing you got out of the Honors ceremony? You can't come up with your own material? You have to borrow from Jack Black! Pleeeeease, give me a break!' Lame ass! But . . . . I thought I was being overly sensitive and protective of my band and figured just let it go and consider the source. The guys handled it well, but it just reaffirmed my dislike for Mr. Letterman. He's not cool, hasn't in my opinion ever been cool and he's probably 'jumped the shark' a long time ago.

And . . . As far as Leno or Fallen, they didn't have the opportunity to have them on because they didn't spend time with them during the KCH ceremony/gala/weekend.

^^^^^^Read what I wrote in the Kennedy Center Honors thread, my editorial comment. It also pertains to this thread.

I thought the interview was great. Letterman has a dry sense of humor and doesn't kiss ass. He had them on the first two segments and seemed to really enjoy having them as guests. If he thought little of them they would have been the second guests. There seemed to be mutual respect between he and the band and all three seemed to have had fun. I guess if you want a vanilla interview with very little wit, watch Leno.

Even though the boys were charming, it was a weak interview. It was obvious Dave knew nothing about them. It was like they were just some band; not one of the biggest ever. I did like the John Krasinski segment. I loved when he ripped open his shirt and showed major respect.

Well, I think it was awesome & I am sticking with that. I don't want anybody to ruin my happiness about the band & what they have accomplished by reading some petty bullshit.

We get mad because they didn't perform or we get mad because the interviewer didn't ask the right questions...really?

all i can say about it is, why on earth was letterman so unprepared?

he didn't even know the name of the 02 .... john bonhams name .... celebration day, is it? far out, that is just so second rate. and i think THAT is why JPJ answered as he did, he thought "this guy is clueless ". i love dhis "how many NO's do you want " answer. onya JPJ!

loved seeing the 3 guys together though, and agree that they do seem to be happy in each others company.

Maybe getting top billing in Celebration Day and on all Celebration Day merch and whatnot has changed something in him.

If I am not mistaken, Zep has always put the band's names in alphabetical order in billing (last names). Seems to me that was the case for TSRTS movie. Of course, with Bonzo dead, it elevates Jonesy to top billing, because Jason Bonham is not in the band, but featured as the drummer in the 02 reunion, hence why he had final billing in Celebration Day.

I've always admired that about Zep: with the four of them, not one was more important than the other, and the only fair way to acknowledge them was alphabetically (at least with both movies, and possibly the Zep DVD, I'll have to check that too for alphabetical last name listing).

Shows like Late Night with David Letterman are vehicles for celebrities to promote their products. In that vein, leading and sometimes obvious questions are asked, to keep the conversation on the product.

Everyone who participates in this forum already knows everything there is to know about LZ. You’ve already seen the movie, bought the cd, the vinyl, the digital, the DVD, etc. Did you ever consider that the show might be geared -not to current fans- but to those who don’t know much about them? So an engaging, light-hearted interview with a host they know and like might encourage them to learn more and buy the music.

I can tell you that until about 8 months ago, I had only vague memories of a band that was in their prime when I was much too young to appreciate them. I missed the Page & Plant years because I was into other music and they seemed too old to have anything interesting to offer. (I know, I know blasphemy!)

One night, I happened to catch a clip of Jimmy from “It Might Get Loud” on Facebook. I’m guessing that for most of you “true fans” nothing in ITMGL was a surprise and if this thread is any indication, you found much to criticize. Obviously, that’s your right.

But for me, it was a revelation.

Within months, I had all of their music including some of the solo stuff; I read every book, bought the DVDs, and watched way too many videos on YouTube. I couldn’t believe how much of their music was familiar and how many memories it evoked. LZ became my Proust’s madeleines. In other words, a fan was born from a few minutes of a video clip.

So you may think Letterman sucks, you may think his questions were disrespectful, you may believe the band thinks he’s classless, we can agree to disagree on those irrelevant points.

More important is that you have no idea how many new fans were born watching the show last night and those who will find it on YouTube. And If you’re a “true fan” spreading the Gospel of Zeppelin so their music continues to be discovered and appreciated should be what you care about most.

Shows like Late Night with David Letterman are vehicles for celebrities to promote their products. In that vein, leading and sometimes obvious questions are asked, to keep the conversation on the product.

Everyone who participates in this forum already knows everything there is to know about LZ. You’ve already seen the movie, bought the cd, the vinyl, the digital, the DVD, etc. Did you ever consider that the show might be geared -not to current fans- but to those who don’t know much about them? So an engaging, light-hearted interview with a host they know and like might encourage them to learn more and buy the music.

I can tell you that until about 8 months ago, I had only vague memories of a band that was in their prime when I was much too young to appreciate them. I missed the Page & Plant years because I was into other music and they seemed too old to have anything interesting to offer. (I know, I know blasphemy!)

One night, I happened to catch a clip of Jimmy from “It Might Get Loud” on Facebook. I’m guessing that for most of you “true fans” nothing in ITMGL was a surprise and if this thread is any indication, you found much to criticize. Obviously, that’s your right.

But for me, it was a revelation.

Within months, I had all of their music including some of the solo stuff; I read every book, bought the DVDs, and watched way too many videos on YouTube. I couldn’t believe how much of their music was familiar and how many memories it evoked. LZ became my Proust’s madeleines. In other words, a fan was born from a few minutes of a video clip.

So you may think Letterman sucks, you may think his questions were disrespectful, you may believe the band thinks he’s classless, we can agree to disagree on those irrelevant points.

More important is that you have no idea how many new fans were born watching the show last night and those who will find it on YouTube. And If you’re a “true fan” spreading the Gospel of Zeppelin so their music continues to be discovered and appreciated should be what you care about most.

You are my new hero fdm12 because your story mirrors mine to a T!

I'm not a Zep expert, and I swear since discovering them everyday's like Christmas to me.

I am in awe of the learned fans and those who have been there from the beginning etc. etc.

But it's also so much fun to see new fans straggling in and trying to understand what all the fuss is about and eventually converting to their music.

In the end, that's what it's really all about: the music.

Good watch... not at all as bad as some of the comments led me to think !

But this is the second interview where the Zep PR machine seems to have resorted to something SO cheesy : Letterman and Jools Holland both had the DVD sitting stupidly on the desk ... just not necessary, it looks so cheap .

It's ALL about marketing anyway : no way would they be on the show otherwise .... but at least a video clip is serving the audience by offering a glimpse of the playing. Sitting the DVD on the desk : it might as well be next to a tin of beans.

Weak producers: I don't believe that when push came to shove that was the price Letterman had to pay for getting them on his show..

and weaker still of Jools Holland when the BBC has stringent policies against product placement ( which can be bent in many ways - which they couldn't be bothered to do !) .

Good watch... not at all as bad as some of the comments led me to think !

But this is the second interview where the Zep PR machine seems to have resorted to something SO cheesy : Letterman and Jools Holland both had the DVD sitting stupidly on the desk ... just not necessary, it looks so cheap .

It's ALL about marketing anyway : no way would they be on the show otherwise .... but at least a video clip is serving the audience by offering a glimpse of the playing. Sitting the DVD on the desk : it might as well be next to a tin of beans.

Weak producers: I don't believe that when push came to shove that was the price Letterman had to pay for getting them on his show..

and weaker still of Jools Holland when the BBC has stringent policies against product placement ( which can be bent in many ways - which they couldn't be bothered to do !) .

Letterman played a clip as they broke to commercial.

Such a bad interview by David Letterman. The band were clearly in great form, laughing and joking, happy in each other's company. Sadly, he wasted the opportunity by asking amateurish questions that were either nonsensical or downright rude. The question asking whether they wanted to 'find another drummer' went down like a, well, like a Lead Zeppelin. I loved John Paul Jones here, he clearly didn't get on with David, and that made the interview for me.

Archived