Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones to give rare interview on 'Letterman'

sam_webmaster

Shows like Late Night with David Letterman are vehicles for celebrities to promote their products. In that vein, leading and sometimes obvious questions are asked, to keep the conversation on the product.

Everyone who participates in this forum already knows everything there is to know about LZ. You’ve already seen the movie, bought the cd, the vinyl, the digital, the DVD, etc. Did you ever consider that the show might be geared -not to current fans- but to those who don’t know much about them? So an engaging, light-hearted interview with a host they know and like might encourage them to learn more and buy the music.

I can tell you that until about 8 months ago, I had only vague memories of a band that was in their prime when I was much too young to appreciate them. I missed the Page & Plant years because I was into other music and they seemed too old to have anything interesting to offer. (I know, I know blasphemy!)

One night, I happened to catch a clip of Jimmy from “It Might Get Loud” on Facebook. I’m guessing that for most of you “true fans” nothing in ITMGL was a surprise and if this thread is any indication, you found much to criticize. Obviously, that’s your right.

But for me, it was a revelation.

Within months, I had all of their music including some of the solo stuff; I read every book, bought the DVDs, and watched way too many videos on YouTube. I couldn’t believe how much of their music was familiar and how many memories it evoked. LZ became my Proust’s madeleines. In other words, a fan was born from a few minutes of a video clip.

So you may think Letterman sucks, you may think his questions were disrespectful, you may believe the band thinks he’s classless, we can agree to disagree on those irrelevant points.

More important is that you have no idea how many new fans were born watching the show last night and those who will find it on YouTube. And If you’re a “true fan” spreading the Gospel of Zeppelin so their music continues to be discovered and appreciated should be what you care about most.

Oh my, it's like we're the same person! Except you write really, really well :)

I must say, I've been a fan of Dave's long before I because a fan of LZ. I've discovered new music from his show, the latest band being The Heavy, who I love! And Dave loves them too. So while he may not be clued in to all the Zep minutia, I know he appreciates their music and obviously enjoyed the interview, and the weekend.

Oh my, it's like we're the same person! Except you write really, really well :)

I must say, I've been a fan of Dave's long before I because a fan of LZ. I've discovered new music from his show, the latest band being The Heavy, who I love! And Dave loves them too. So while he may not be clued in to all the Zep minutia, I know he appreciates their music and obviously enjoyed the interview, and the weekend.

So nice! Thank you!

I agree about Dave - when I first got into LZ, I was focused on Robert and his interview with Dave in 2005 charmed me even more. (There's also a GREAT one with Sue Simmons of NY1 from maybe 93. Classic!)

It was clear to me that Dave knew he was interviewing a legend because he let him speak freely and there was a subtle deference. I haven't watched a lot of Letterman but I know 2 segments is sign of respect :) The only other person I've seen get more uninterrupted/continued time is.... Bill Clinton.

JPJ 's "English" sense of humour made the interview uncomfortable at times and threw Letterman off his game.

Now we know why he doesn't give many interviews.

Jimmy was so articulate and classy and Robert was his usual sarcastic, head-scratching self.

It made for entertaining if not awkward viewing.

I DVR'd the show and just watched it. You could tell JPJ was not comfortable. But if you have followed Zep for any period of time they are VERY private and don't give many interviews. I think Letterman did a fine job and was very articulate when it came to there influences. There were many parts that made me laugh out loud. I think Robert was more comfortable than Jimmy or JPJ and was having fun.

Jeff

I used to watch Letterman in the '80s and early '90s but this was the first time I'd tuned in for many years. I was taken aback by the low quality of the show and humor - not just the Zeppelin interview, but the entire show. Maybe Dave's phoning it in these days, or maybe my taste has changed over the years.

Still, I really enjoyed JPJ's humor - I didn't think it made things uncomfortable. Or to put it another way, the best Letterman moments are when the guest doesn't behave as expected.

But my favorite moments were seeing Robert roll his eyes and look off-screen to the left, most likely at Paul Shaffer (or else at the band in general). The most obvious moment was when Letterman asked them about "Sonny Boy Williams." Plant's look was priceless.

I DVR'd the show and just watched it. You could tell JPJ was not comfortable. But if you have followed Zep for any period of time they are VERY private and don't give many interviews. I think Letterman did a fine job and was very articulate when it came to there influences. There were many parts that made me laugh out loud. I think Robert was more comfortable than Jimmy or JPJ and was having fun.

Jeff

You think Letterman did a fine job? And was articulate when it came to their influences? Oh, saying that their music was all about Viking sex? The man is a jackass.

Well, I think it was awesome & I am sticking with that. I don't want anybody to ruin my happiness about the band & what they have accomplished by reading some petty bullshit.

We get mad because they didn't perform or we get mad because the interviewer didn't ask the right questions...really?

Sums it up nicely for me. I've been a die hard fan for almost 20 years now, and am just happy to see these guys in the same room, enjoying each others company, and having a good laugh. And this interview gave that to me.

You think Letterman did a fine job? And was articulate when it came to their influences? Oh, saying that their music was all about Viking sex? The man is a jackass.

If this would have been a '60 Minutes' interview, then yes, I would have been a pissed off Zep fan but, it wasn't. I won't 'go there' with you because I like you. You want to know more about my views & opinions then, PM me. ;)

Sums it up nicely for me. I've been a die hard fan for almost 20 years now, and am just happy to see these guys in the same room, enjoying each others company, and having a good laugh. And this interview gave that to me.

Thank you. Really, all I should have said was 'I am glad these three are in the same room together'. Because, that's really what it all comes down to, for me. I used to dislike David Letterman but then again, I like a lot of things I used to dislike it seems. Things change.

I have been a die hard Zeppelin fan since around 1970 and saw them live in 1977, Would have done anything to see them and told people then, that i will do whatever it takes to see them. And I did. Led Zeppelin has been a part of my life for over 40 yrs. I do not think they got enough due respect from the likes of Letterman. If anyone wants to stick up for Letterman go ahead. I dont care. He is not worthy to tie their shoe laces. Do you really think Letterman could name even three songs from each album? I never cared for the guy. I wish Alec Baldwin was doing the interview. He is a die hard fan and knowledgable of thier work. I was hoping Jimmy Page would walk over and take that guitar out of that guys hands and show him how to play it. At least they did show a couple of old pics. I thought they may have shown a llittle more footage of them playing. I have that poster like I am sure many of you do of the airplane.

DUDE! the viking sex comment was something Jack Black came up with at the Kennedy Awards in his tribute. Dave quoted him on it. And you know what, the three seemed to really enjoy that, given that Robert was talking about the furs and Jonesy mentioned the hobbits and viking's having sex. Get over it.

Yes, the interview was awkward as all hell. Letterman really should've researched more; but, that's him. Whatever. I liked how they reacted (especially John) during the interview. I loved the English humor and phrasing that totally went over Letterman's head. Was it the proper venue? I don't think so. But, whatever. Letterman wanted to show that he was in good company with the honors and all.

Just watched it again, and love it..........what a wonderful time to be a Led Zeppelin fan.

Exactly. In my short time here there is so much negative energy in this forum.

We can't see the forest from the trees. Instead of being grateful for this wonderful and rare opportunity to see these guys together we have to slam Letterman and insist the interview conform to our endlessly high rigid expectations.

There is something about the depersonalized nature of online communications that makes message boards on sites like YouTube a morass of profane hostility. People not just disagreeing, but slamming those who do not share the same opinion about something as subjective as music. I see that here at times.

I will never forget Page's reaction to Dave realizing what Matinee meant. He convulsed like a little boy, elbowing Plant, so beside himself with joy in the moment.

Yes SuperStatic. I am enjoying this Celebration Day ride immensely. The O2 show, the dvd, Kennedy Center, Letterman. An orgy of Zeppelin greatness, all in a row.

Strange that we have such a great thing in common yet get caught up in picking each other apart. Letterman "sets a bad example for Americans"?

If Letterman did not have his show, or was not also honored at the Kennedy Center, we may not have had the chance to see our heroes on stage together, talking about the black American blues artists that influenced them, then laughing at Jones' hilarious refusal to give Dave a slot in the band.

I felt a tremendous wave of gratitude for what this band has meant to me for exactly forty years. I love these guys with all my heart. I began to get emotional. As I replayed the interview over and over, words kept coming to me...

The Rover

Dancing Days

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

When The Levee Breaks

In The Evening

Tea For One

The Battle Of Evermore

Kashmir

Their studio output is an embarrassment of riches. Our lives are a mere blip on the timeline of this planet, yet we just happen to share it with the greatest band that ever was. We should be grateful for this fact. The glass is half-full, and always has been.

What a wonderful time to be a Led Zeppelin fan.

In The Light since 1972.

Trampled Under Foot. My life with Led Zeppelin.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

Shows like Late Night with David Letterman are vehicles for celebrities to promote their products. In that vein, leading and sometimes obvious questions are asked, to keep the conversation on the product.

Everyone who participates in this forum already knows everything there is to know about LZ. You’ve already seen the movie, bought the cd, the vinyl, the digital, the DVD, etc. Did you ever consider that the show might be geared -not to current fans- but to those who don’t know much about them? So an engaging, light-hearted interview with a host they know and like might encourage them to learn more and buy the music.

I can tell you that until about 8 months ago, I had only vague memories of a band that was in their prime when I was much too young to appreciate them. I missed the Page & Plant years because I was into other music and they seemed too old to have anything interesting to offer. (I know, I know blasphemy!)

One night, I happened to catch a clip of Jimmy from “It Might Get Loud” on Facebook. I’m guessing that for most of you “true fans” nothing in ITMGL was a surprise and if this thread is any indication, you found much to criticize. Obviously, that’s your right.

But for me, it was a revelation.

Within months, I had all of their music including some of the solo stuff; I read every book, bought the DVDs, and watched way too many videos on YouTube. I couldn’t believe how much of their music was familiar and how many memories it evoked. LZ became my Proust’s madeleines. In other words, a fan was born from a few minutes of a video clip.

So you may think Letterman sucks, you may think his questions were disrespectful, you may believe the band thinks he’s classless, we can agree to disagree on those irrelevant points.

More important is that you have no idea how many new fans were born watching the show last night and those who will find it on YouTube. And If you’re a “true fan” spreading the Gospel of Zeppelin so their music continues to be discovered and appreciated should be what you care about most.

that is all the more reason that letterman should have known more about them!

us die-hards know when he stuffs up, asks a stupid question ..... new-comers do not.

if i had have been one of the three guys, when he said : "the drummer died ", i would have said : "his name is john bonham".

Let's keep in mind Dave is about 65 and could be having some problems.

Well, I certainly hope not. Regardless, how he stays on the air is beyond me. His show has been phoned in for more than twenty years.

If we're honest about it, Johnny Carson - whose on-air record he recently broke - should have signed off years before he did as well.

I didn't quite make it to watch Letterman on TV last night but I've seen the clips and I thought it was good, for it was, an informal interview on a chat show.

Dave has always indulged in self-depracating humour and while it's not everyone's cup of tea, his packed audiences love it.

Part of his interview style is to make his interviewees feel comfortable and at ease by putting himself down to meet that end.

He obviously has a good knowledge of music and bands simply because they performed on the show and you can't tell me he wouldn't've researched his guests beforehand and listened to the latest cd or read the book etc.

I thought he was in awe of them.

Is there anyone over 15 years old living in New York, who hasn't heard of Led Zeppelin?

Yes, but not many I'd wager.

Sure, a couple of questions were a little ordinary but it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't just a little bit star struck.

I have watched all the "Late Night TV" from the states over the years, Carson, Leno, Conan and Ferguson et al, except Jimmy Fallon but thanks to YouTube I know of his work.

Letterman is the most consistent show and has been on every channel here off and on over the past 30 years.

I can't recall all of the bands I've seen old and new on all the shows but I do remember pondering many times (especially when Robert or Jimmy performed), how good it'd be to see Led Zeppelin on there in whatever shape or form!?"

Thanks to Dave Letterman that "dream" came true!

And, for that I am grateful.

I'm sorry, but I don't get the ongoing negativity on this thread from some people!! And really, it pisses me off a lot..

Instead of shutting your mouth and being grateful for these three gods to appear on TV for a mass audience you go on and on and on about bleeding Letterman and reading body language...Really??? Letterman was NOT the centre of attention for me. I loved the interview simply because it was such a rare occasion. When have you last seen these three on TV for an interview?? Yeah, exactly, many moons ago..JPJ's priceless humour and the overall relaxed atmosphere made this a joy to watch.

I, for one, feel entirely lucky to experience all this. I'm far too young to have seen them in the 70's, but seen 2 of them in concert and met one of them and there's nothing more I could ever ask for. These past months have been a great time to be a Zeppelin fan and it fills my heart with pride and joy to be able to say that I respect and love these 3 men for all the joy they've given me. THAT'S why I don't go on about Letterman's quality as an interviewer. I simply couldn't care less..

Do any of you moaning minnies remember laughter??

P.S.: Talking of "casual fans": those fans will be the ones flying the Zeppelin flag when all you "life-long fans" have kicked the bucket, so don't have the audacity to moan about that!! I think it's wonderful that life-long fans are still going strong, but some people's arrogance towards new fans is just disgusting..Pack it in..

I'm sorry, but I don't get the ongoing negativity on this thread from some people!! And really, it pisses me off a lot..

Instead of shutting your mouth and being grateful for these three gods to appear on TV for a mass audience you go on and on and on about bleeding Letterman and reading body language...Really??? Letterman was NOT the centre of attention for me. I loved the interview simply because it was such a rare occasion. When have you last seen these three on TV for an interview?? Yeah, exactly, many moons ago..JPJ's priceless humour and the overall relaxed atmosphere made this a joy to watch.

I, for one, feel entirely lucky to experience all this. I'm far too young to have seen them in the 70's, but seen 2 of them in concert and met one of them and there's nothing more I could ever ask for. These past months have been a great time to be a Zeppelin fan and it fills my heart with pride and joy to be able to say that I respect and love these 3 men for all the joy they've given me. THAT'S why I don't go on about Letterman's quality as an interviewer. I simply couldn't care less..

P.S.: Talking of "casual fans": those fans will be the ones flying the Zeppelin flag when all you "life-long fans" have kicked the bucket, so don't have the audacity to moan about that!! I think it's wonderful that life-long fans are still going strong, but some people's arrogance towards new fans is just disgusting..Pack it in..

Listen fella, I did see them and grew up with their music and Ill die with it. Letterman when he said the words "you lost your drummer" in such a ho hum way, was too much for me. It was fucking John Bonham. Not just a drummer. And am sure JPJ and Robert and Jimmy were not happy with the way he said it either.i

I dont think the folks here complaining about Lettermans "interview" are doing so to be jerks or something. Just like over on the 'Celebration day press conference' thread I pointed out the reason people might be reading so much into the guys "body language" "facial expressions" ect... (my self included) is because these incidents are RARE, they dont happen that often at all. So its only natural people are going to scrutinize them much closer than they normally might when it does.

As far as Letterman goes, IMO it was a missed opportunity quite frankly. Instead of asking in depth, and yes even hard questions that could have challenged the guys, Letterman APPEARED ill prepared and wound up mostly cracking somewhat funny, yet ultimately meaningless jokes about "vikings and sex" and "next time dont wear shirts when you do it" jokes. Again it was kinda entertaining, but it didnt add anything to the interview. I mean this isnt the Monkeys man, this is Led Zeppelin! One of the most successful musical acts in modern history. But thats just my two cents, maybe thats how the guys wanted it?

^^^

Wow. Pot calling the kettle black. Anyway, generally speaking casual fans don't fly any flags, they just purchase what strikes their fancy at the time, or appreciate a gift received. Some do of course become more avid fans, and it's nice to think there could be legions of more casual fans who ultimately become more avid fans after having seen their appearance on Letterman's program.

Archived