Burton Cummings = Robert Plant

Now of course we've all heard this song hundreds of times but I've just realised Cummings sounds EXACTLY like Percy here... The whole damn song is song by Robert it even sounds like something Robert would write especially the outro "bye bye bye you know I'm going to leave ya woman"

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

I have heard Burton in an interview talk about how much he liked Plant as a singer. Burton Cummings in his younger years was a wicked singer..."No Time", "These Eyes", "Undun" , "Running Back to Saskatoon"etc...some great vocals!

Actually Zeppelin covered the song during a rehearsal for a gig in NY I believe. Randy Bachman has a tape of it.

I would love to hear that one!! I expect it would be just brilliant. I can hear Robert singing it, and the emotion he would put into it.

I saw both bands in 1972 and Burton Cummings never, ever, sounded remotely like Robert Plant.

They had similar styles and range but sonically, not even close.

No disrespect to Cummings, great performer with a great band (even without Randy Bachman) but equalling Robert Plant?

I don't think so.

I saw both bands in 1972 and Burton Cummings never, ever, sounded remotely like Robert Plant.

No disrespect to Cummings, great performer with a great band (even without Randy Bachman) but equalling Robert Plant?

I don't think so.

No of course I agree but in this song.

I don't think so.

i dont know about that, if he does not equal him he comes damm close, The vocal on 'Hang on to your life' just nails it, for me in the time period the ones who could really bring it home with their voices were Plant, Cummings and Gillan. all classic IMO and with such powerful vocals.

i dont know about that, if he does not equal him he comes damm close, The vocal on 'Hang on to your life' just nails it, for me in the time period the ones who could really bring it home with their voices were Plant, Cummings and Gillan. all classic IMO and with such powerful vocals.

Compare Cummings and Gillans body of work to Plant's. No contest.

Btw, I like them both too along with Dio and many other fine vocalists.

The Guess Who were one of the best bands ever IMHO. Cummings does have one fantastic voice. Different than Robert, but still amazing. I think I have all of the albums from 65-75... in fact in my car I have a 6 CD changer and currently with 4 LZ CD's , Beck and The Guess Who. :peace:

• 3 weeks later...

The Guess Who were one of the best bands ever IMHO. Cummings does have one fantastic voice. Different than Robert, but still amazing. I think I have all of the albums from 65-75... in fact in my car I have a 6 CD changer and currently with 4 LZ CD's , Beck and The Guess Who. :peace:

Agreed 100%

American Woman is an album that should be hanging on the same wall with most of the definitive and essential albums of the 60s\70s era period in the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame.

I've heard a lot of cover versions of the title song, the only one that I kinda liked was the one done by Lenny Kravitz.... but STILL I preffer the original! It just sounds soooooo wicked and groovy you could imagine yourself in the 60s partying like crazy at Austin Powers' pad :P lol

Edited by Neon Genesis
  • 2 years later...

There are some similarities to their voices, but a lot of differences. Cummings is more of a baritenor, or arguably a high baritone, whereas Plant is 100% tenor. Plant has also expressed his own admiration for Cummings, saying that if he could sound like any other singer, he'd want to sound like Cummings. And of course, The Guess Who actually predates Led Zeppelin, so it's very possible that Cummings was an influence on Plant before the other way around. It could be like a Beatles/Byrds thing where the Byrds started out aping the Beatles and then at one point the Beatles were actually influenced by the Byrds (like on If I Needed Someone).

At any rate, they're both great singers with their own styles, although it's a shame that Plant wasn't able to preserve his voice as well as Cummings. But of course, Plant has a much greater body of work, with all due respect to Cummings who has a nice body of work in his own right.