Best version of No Quarter Live

theroacheart

I do like the O2 especially when JPJ and Jason play together in the middle breakdown. Cool to see how Jason is using the kettle drum and then jazzes out with JPJ before Jimmy's solo.....but for me the version on TSRTS is awesome because of Jimmy;s guitar solo.....I don;t know enough about bootleg versions to comment on those.....Studio version is great too.....really a singular moment for that type of song for them....I don;t think you could really find a similar tune to No Quarter on any other LP.

+2

+3. Best of the marathon versions of the tune.

For the shorter versions, Providence '73 is one of the great ones.

Jimmy did some very cool solos on the late 1998 Page/Plant versions. Worth checking out.

The O2 is it's own thing. Very good, JPJ nailed the right sound for the piano, something Phil Andrews never came close to in '98.

June 21 1977 better than the 23rd.

I think the 23rd is more polished but the 21st is pretty unique in how much of a lead Bonham takes thoughout the jam.

Generally the jazzy/keith Jarrety late 75 versions tend to be my favouries, Seattle 21/3, LA 25/3 and 27/3 plus Earls Court 18/5 and 23/5.

I think the 23rd is more polished but the 21st is pretty unique in how much of a lead Bonham takes thoughout the jam.

Generally the jazzy/keith Jarrety late 75 versions tend to be my favouries, Seattle 21/3, LA 25/3 and 27/3 plus Earls Court 18/5 and 23/5.

Glad to see someone mention the 75 versions.

I can't decide this...currently, it's 19/03/1975.

Any thoughts on the best live version of No Quarter? I'm partial to the 1975 fourth night Earl's Court version, 1973 Bonzo's Bday, and to be honest the Celebration Day version from the 2007 O2 concert has some great JPJ action. Any thoughts?

This is probably a bit of a boring answer, but I don't think I've heard a better live version that the one off TSRTS.

No Quarter played live during 72'/73' is totally different than the way they played it in 75' & onward. I probably would go with the way they performed it throughout their 1975 North American Tour. What Jones & Bonham were doing was very "jazzy" and "agressive"

75 to me was just the ideal middle ground, while Page's soloing was technically exellent in the early versions I did think there was a tendancey for them to meander with JPJ and Bonham really just backing him up.

The 75 versions(at least as the tour progressed) may have been longer but I think the added structure behind them makes them meander less, you've not only got the moves from 1 peice to 2 peice to 3 peice but during the 3 peice jam JPJ is adding alot more with different piano lines thoughout helping to build up tension.

The 77 versions did I'd say become a bit too structured with less consistant flow between each section.

• 4 weeks later...

Also search for existing threads on this but:

Break it down by the variations of it with bold as my fav from each era

• First era (1973)
    • TSRTS Full Version

[*]Second Era 1975 (Pre-Grand Piano)

• 2-12-75, 2-14-75, 2-16-75

[*]Second Era 1975 (Grand Piano)

• 1975-03-05 (The piano/drum jam in this makes me go crazy, its fully developed and master in 03-27)
    • Faster tempo versions: 1975-03-19, 1975-03-21
    • 1975-03-27
    • 1975-05-18
    • 1975-05-24

[*]Third Era (1977)

• Nutrocker: 1977-04-28
    • 1977-06-21 (For standout drums)
    • 1977-06-23 (Awesome jam after piano solo, overall most complex)

[*]Forth Era (1979)

• 1979-08-04 (Great overall with some elements from each of the eras, unique page tone, probably the best final section)

Archived