Barney Hoskyns book

badgeholder

I don't think there's a solid line between the two when it comes to books about artists. There shouldn't be, anyway. If you're doing a biography of a musician - especially a very important musician - you're really missing the whole point if you don't focus closely on the work they produced. When most people on this forum read a book like this, they're so knowledgeable about Led Zeppelin's music that they just fill in the blanks and it's no big deal. But I think a really good book would help a person without much knowledge to understand the music better...and understand the power of the performances, etc. With a band like Led Zeppelin, you'd end up doing some epic multi-volume work to get the story right...but I'd be happy to buy it.

Agreed except I don't think I'd have enough time to read all that!

Given the book is about Led Zeppelin and as they continually say it was only ever about the music all the other stuff is purely incidental.

I would have liked to see a little bit more about the music as well. Would have provided a good balance.

And it wouldnt have been a "critical review" of the music because we would have quotes from the folks who were directly involved in the making of the music! Just a little bit more focus on that would have been very nice.

There was a quote where JPJ talks about how he thinks he should have gotten more writing credits, and that people's perception of Page and Plant going off and writing a song like Lennon/McCartney and then teaching the song to the other two members --- JPJ said "that is so far from the truth its ridiculous.' I WANNA HEAR MORE ABOUT THAT!

....yeah that quote from JPJ was really interesting to read, especially, after we've all seen the Page/Plant writing credits all these years for the most part. I too wished there would have been a little more "music specific" content in the book but I still enjoyed it immensely. If you are looking for that kind of content you shoudl check out some of the old Guitar magazine articles (maybe you have?). They do offer up some information about the making of the music if that is what you are after.

I wish someone back when they were writing and recording had of had a hand held camera going all the time. Oh, to be a fly on the wall during those magical moments....cheers

One day we will find out that JPJ was the real driving force behind Led Zeppelin...the brains and the only true mucisian

in the Band. Jimmy and Robert made for great posters.

It's funny that you mention this because to some degree my sense always was that Page/Plant usually provided the genesis of songs - the riffs and subject matter/lyrics - from which the songs would be completed, composed and arranged by John Paul with Bonham's input on percussion. It's similar to a concept for a book or film by one person with others that make it happen. Although since Page produced, he had a lot to do with the end sound that we got. I think they've always been up front about how collaborative the song writing was. Absolutely Plant was marketed as the golden-haired romantic lead protagonist and Page his antagonist dark foil, the counterpoint. Together they were a promoter's dream.

This is a biographic work, not a critical review.

...And a biography of a band should include so few references to the actual music they created? Bollocks! I don't want criticism - more stories along the lines of what Smith brought to the book would have elevated it to another level entirely.

I don't think there's a solid line between the two when it comes to books about artists. There shouldn't be, anyway. If you're doing a biography of a musician - especially a very important musician - you're really missing the whole point if you don't focus closely on the work they produced. When most people on this forum read a book like this, they're so knowledgeable about Led Zeppelin's music that they just fill in the blanks and it's no big deal. But I think a really good book would help a person without much knowledge to understand the music better...and understand the power of the performances, etc. With a band like Led Zeppelin, you'd end up doing some epic multi-volume work to get the story right...but I'd be happy to buy it.

I would have liked to see a little bit more about the music as well. Would have provided a good balance.

And it wouldnt have been a "critical review" of the music because we would have quotes from the folks who were directly involved in the making of the music! Just a little bit more focus on that would have been very nice.

There was a quote where JPJ talks about how he thinks he should have gotten more writing credits, and that people's perception of Page and Plant going off and writing a song like Lennon/McCartney and then teaching the song to the other two members --- JPJ said "that is so far from the truth its ridiculous.' I WANNA HEAR MORE ABOUT THAT!

I agree with you both! I thought that the book actually described their power and the strength (and weaknesses) of the live act well.

I think we can read a bit more cynicism and/or bitterness into JPJ's statements than might otherwise have been the timbre of their conversation.

Just finished the book and it is by far the best Zeppelin "biography" I've read. It's great to be able to hear things straight from the horse's mouth, so-to-speak rather than reading sensationalist fodder. Some in the book do seem to have a bit of sour grapes, but for the most part the accounts told within are accurate and don't seem to have any hint of insincerity.

My only complaint about the book is the quotes are not placed within any sort of context and some don't seem to be quite clear enough in their meaning at times, giving the feeling there are a lot of loose ends that haven't been tied up. Other than that it is a great read with a lot of interesting information that I otherwise would never have known. Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or do all the Ross Halfin quotes sound rather dickish???? He really seems to come across as a sarcastic asshole.

I think you are right on...He did read like a dick......probably a guy that was allowed to get kinda close but wasn't able to help himself.....he shoudl have just shut up and snapped the camera...

I think you are right on...He did read like a dick......probably a guy that was allowed to get kinda close but wasn't able to help himself.....he shoudl have just shut up and snapped the camera...

Have no idea who that photographer guy is, but his quotes in the book make him sound bitter and often rude. Sad man.

...oddly enough he's actually quite close to Jimmy until this day. He's the one responsible for most of the current photos of Jimmy (and the boys) while in New York (and some famous O2 behind-the-scenes shots as well). Someone posted a recent picture of the two of them in one of the threads here...*too lazy to find it*

...oddly enough he's actually quite close to Jimmy until this day. He's the one responsible for most of the current photos of Jimmy (and the boys) while in New York (and some famous O2 behind-the-scenes shots as well). Someone posted a recent picture of the two of them in one of the threads here...*too lazy to find it*

Yeah, I remember that pic, he even looks like a dick. Maybe he has small man complex or something, who knows. What I do know is if I had his access you could not blast the smile off my face with a blow torch, and, I sure as hell would not be talking shit. If I did not have anything nice to say, I would say nothing...in print that is :P

Seems like an interesting read. Lot of great comments and insight here by many. Doesn't seem it portrays the band into a positive light at times. It's probably pretty accurate, but who knows. Perhaps, more of the book should have focussed on the music and not the negativity of the band and others associated with them. But then again, I haven't read it yet, so I can't really form a true and honest opinion on it, until doing so.

Yeah, I remember that pic, he even looks like a dick. Maybe he has small man complex or something, who knows. What I do know is if I had his access you could not blast the smile off my face with a blow torch, and, I sure as hell would not be talking shit. If I did not have anything nice to say, I would say nothing...in print that is :P

:hysterical: Ah, I needed the laugh today.

Seems like an interesting read. Lot of great comments and insight here by many. Doesn't seem it portrays the band into a positive light at times. It's probably pretty accurate, but who knows. Perhaps, more of the book should have focussed on the music and not the negativity of the band and others associated with them. But then again, I haven't read it yet, so I can't really form a true and honest opinion on it, until doing so.

Several people here have commented on negative content in this book but as with a good documentary film, you capture what real people say. There are plenty of places to find sugar coated, idolizing fan drool if one wants that. But why anyone would only want the sunny side of the street is a mystery to me. Real people, real world = real stories.

Several people here have commented on negative content in this book but as with a good documentary film, you capture what real people say. There are plenty of places to find sugar coated, idolizing fan drool if one wants that. But why anyone would only want the sunny side of the street is a mystery to me. Real people, real world = real stories.

Very true. I suppose I would rather have more focus on the music. The other stuff should be covered but maybe not as much. I think most fans want to hear about the music and not the dirt. Although, this stuff is quite interesting to say the least. Things I didn't know.

We all want books that focus on the creation of the music...and a voice keeps screaming in my head "WHY? OH WHY did they never record themselves creating said music in the studio or else where???" Or were those precious tapes part of what was stolen from Jimmy? Great piece of history we'll never get to see. That is the tragedy in all of this.

I still think Keith Shadwick's book from a few years back is the best book on Zeppelin's music. It's pretty comprehensive, for those who have never read it.

I finally got around to ordering the Hoskyns book, just waiting for the fucking thing to arrive :lol: I'll reserve judgment on it till I've read it...Hoskyn's books on The Band (Across The Great Divide) and the 60's/70's southern California music scene (Hotel California) are excellent. Simply based on those tomes I'm sure his Zeppelin book won't disappoint. The guy's a fine musicologist.

I still think Keith Shadwick's book from a few years back is the best book on Zeppelin's music. It's pretty comprehensive, for those who have never read it.

I finally got around to ordering the Hoskyns book, just waiting for the fucking thing to arrive :lol: I'll reserve judgment on it till I've read it...Hoskyn's books on The Band (Across The Great Divide) and the 60's/70's southern California music scene (Hotel California) are excellent. Simply based on those tomes I'm sure his Zeppelin book won't disappoint. The guy's a fine musicologist.

I'm ordering his books on the Band and California Music based on how well he crafted the Led Zep book so glad to hear you sing his praises for them. Do those books follow the same format as the LZ book, quotes that tell the story?

Archived