121212 The Concert For Sandy Relief

Reggie29

HI ebk:

Thanks for the info..I don't get any of the stations..however.by tomorrow I might find a way to see the show.."where there's a will"....

I was checking all the places one could see and or listen to the concert..there's a station in Quebec that is part of Astral..that company wants to merge with Bell Media..a company that runs CTV network...very interesting...

Does anyone know if Led Zeppelin, ie, Robert or Jimmy were approached to perform at this huge event? I would certainly classify them as the lead act if they had chosen to do it but then again, how much time can there be for the bands they have now? Hell, The Stones and the Who and Roger Waters to play the same night in the same place is monsterous in itself. Add Led Zeppelin and you may have bedlem. McCartney is on the list too isnt he? Wow. What a list. And now there is clammering for U-2!!! WTF? How can there be time? Since its a charity event, I wonder how much the tickets are to get in? I am sure long sold out. The scalp prices must nuts?

Does anyone know if Led Zeppelin, ie, Robert or Jimmy were approached to perform at this huge event? I would certainly classify them as the lead act if they had chosen to do it but then again, how much time can there be for the bands they have now? Hell, The Stones and the Who and Roger Waters to play the same night in the same place is monsterous in itself. Add Led Zeppelin and you may have bedlem. McCartney is on the list too isnt he? Wow. What a list. And now there is clammering for U-2!!! WTF? How can there be time? Since its a charity event, I wonder how much the tickets are to get in? I am sure long sold out. The scalp prices must nuts?

Don't know how much they were to begin with, but you can get some on StubHub for around a thousand each. SH is donating all of their fees to the charity, but for me, I'd just as soon give the money directly to the charity so the idiots who are trying to make a profit off of this don't.

ETA - tickets were $150 to $2500 originally. Needless to say, the show is sold out...

Don't know how much they were to begin with, but you can get some on StubHub for around a thousand each. SH is donating all of their fees to the charity, but for me, I'd just as soon give the money directly to the charity so the idiots who are trying to make a profit off of this don't.

ETA - tickets were $150 to $2500 originally. Needless to say, the show is sold out...

I will be taping it on Encore. I see they have it broken up into 3 frames. I wonder if there is any chance of an appearance by Led Zeppelin? Doubt it. But hoping. Maybe just Jimmy showing up? Playing with someone? I guess each band will be very limited on the number of songs.

For a good cause, for sure. But then again, New York is the center of the financial and economic world, so do they really need to be taking donations from people? This wasn't at all on the same level of 9/11, and it's nowhere near the type of travesty as what happens routinely in Asia and Africa. You'd think that the local mega-banks and wall street companies would be enough to fix the damage in NY, especially since they're likely to be the ones managing the money that gets collected in the first place.

Also, what always rubs me the wrong way about these things is that they end up being nothing more than a vehicle for all of these acts to say that they're doing something for charity, while every one of them gets a big boost in sales of their records from all of the extra publicity they get. McCartney in particular will be cashing out huge for this. Would be nice if they disclosed that and donated those sales profits to charity, wouldn't it? Speaking of which, what a coincidence that this concert is right in the middle of the holiday shopping season. The storm was over by the end of October, and power was mostly back by the middle of November. Madison Square Garden was perfectly operational during the whole thing, and has been ever since. They move concerts and events in and out of there on a daily basis, so it's not as if this was some astronomical undertaking to set up that needed all this time since the event happened.

Yes, this was a tragedy, but it would've been much more tasteful if they weren't broadcasting this outside of New York, and if it was left to the people with the deep pockets who are actually attending it. It was a New York situation, and New York has the money to fix it. Why bother those states and other parts of the world, that make less per capita and who have their own tragedies which routinely get ignored?

For a good cause, for sure. But then again, New York is the center of the financial and economic world, so do they really need to be taking donations from people? This wasn't at all on the same level of 9/11, and it's nowhere near the type of travesty as what happens routinely in Asia and Africa. You'd think that the local mega-banks and wall street companies would be enough to fix the damage in NY, especially since they're likely to be the ones managing the money that gets collected in the first place.

Also, what always rubs me the wrong way about these things is that they end up being nothing more than a vehicle for all of these acts to say that they're doing something for charity, while every one of them gets a big boost in sales of their records from all of the extra publicity they get. McCartney in particular will be cashing out huge for this. Would be nice if they disclosed that and donated those sales profits to charity, wouldn't it? Speaking of which, what a coincidence that this concert is right in the middle of the holiday shopping season. The storm was over by the end of October, and power was mostly back by the middle of November. Madison Square Garden was perfectly operational during the whole thing, and has been ever since. They move concerts and events in and out of there on a daily basis, so it's not as if this was some astronomical undertaking to set up that needed all this time since the event happened.

Yes, this was a tragedy, but it would've been much more tasteful if they weren't broadcasting this outside of New York, and if it was left to the people with the deep pockets who are actually attending it. It was a New York situation, and New York has the money to fix it. Why bother those states and other parts of the world, that make less per capita and who have their own tragedies which routinely get ignored?

There was millions of dollars of damage to systems including subways that were built over 80 years ago. I just made my donation online. I say yes its worth it.

Cynical much?

MSG is in great shape. There are tons of places in the Boroughs and Jersey that still don't have power and the basic necessities. This is not a bad thing happening here tonight.

Don't give money. Enjoy the show. It's pretty good so far...

Cynical much?

MSG is in great shape. There are tons of places in the Boroughs and Jersey that still don't have power and the basic necessities. This is not a bad thing happening here tonight.

Don't give money. Enjoy the show. It's pretty good so far...

So far its great. Boss fucking tunes. Dark Side of the Moon. Worth a donation to me

Unfortunately I am.

These things end up being cash cows for the people involved, while the real victims see next to nothing because the money that does get raised ends up being tied up by the organizers.

Enjoy: http://www.snopes.com/rumors/charity.asp

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Concert_for_New_York_City

Scroll down to the bit that mentions how much the concert actually raised - just $35 million. Not a hell of a lot of money considering the people involved, and the scale of that tragedy. What's worse is that with all of those mega-millionaires involved, they could've each donated next to nothing out of their own pockets and raised more money between themselves, which all would've been tax deductible, by the way.

Cynical much?

Loving it! CS, start a thread on being cynical - this is about a great concert! ;)

Waters was fantastic! Great set....loved Bruce too - especially 'Born To Run'!!

:peace:

I agree totally. My daughter and husband were just here. They live in Hoboken NJ and told me about the damage.

No need, this thread's just fine. Anyway, don't get your panties in a bunch, I've made my point. Enjoy the gig.

Just do me a favor and don't forget what I posted next time they ask you to open your wallet for what ends up really only being a party for themselves.

end rant ;)

Loving it! CS, start a thread on being cynical - this is about a great concert! ;)

Archived