Jason Bonham discusses why reunion tour didn’t happen

motu

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Led Zeppelin: Jason Bonham discusses why reunion tour didn’t happen

including Bonham interview video clip

“Robert and I spoke very long and hard about this,” Jason explained. “And there’s other reasons, and I respect him for that. He told me.”

“I’ll share one thing he said,” continued Bonham. “’It doesn’t matter how great you are on drums, Jason, I love you to bits and you play absolutely amazing. But John was the drummer in Led Zeppelin and John was part of me, Jimmy and John Paul. We shared something very, very special.’ He said ‘I struggle sometimes just thinking about trying to create some magic again. He’s not there. He was a very, very dear friend of mine that he said ‘I miss every day.’”

[ I apologize if this was posted elsewhere already ]

Led Zeppelin will always be my favorite band. I can honestly say that I'm glad they haven't reunited! Many people out here would love to see it happen - they'd go to the concert and believe they were seeing Led Zeppelin, in reality they wouldn't be seeing Led Zeppelin, they'd see Jones, Page, and Plant performing songs of Led Zeppelin with another drummer. Led Zeppelin died when John Bonham passed! I'm glad Robert Plant believes that as well. I'm sure Jones and Page do also - they're just eager to get out and play/make music together.

Do any of you believe you'd see the genius of Led Zeppelin had the three of them decided to go out on tour? I don't think so, because improv was vital to what Led Zeppelin was all about. The Improvisation they had on stage was as important as the albums they produced.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that John would want it to go on with his son Jason at the helm. And once again it looks like, Jason, Jim, and Jones want it, they can taste it, they know they can do it and yet once again it comes to a screeching halt. The whole thing is perverse; it is as if, they and the fans are being punished in some odd way.

I can't help but wonder how inspired Page and Jones would be if they knew they were going to be working again as a team. I'm sure it would be absolutely mesmerizing – the single greatest high ever known to man.

Just think of how great the album Coverdale Page was, now add Jones and Robert into the mix and it would have been an all time masterpiece. I really do feel bad for Jimmy, Jones, and Jason, they really do want it, they want to prove the critics wrong, show the critics that they still have it.

Just think of how great the album Coverdale Page was, now add Jones and Robert into the mix and it would have been an all time masterpiece. I really do feel bad for Jimmy, Jones, and Jason, they really do want it, they want to prove the critics wrong, show the critics that they still have it.

I think Robert Plant said it best when he said tough shit, pass the fiddle.

Makes sense if you think about it. Out of all of them, it was Bonham and Plant who were best friends. They were the ones who were in the same band as kids and knew each other as children. And it was Plant who brought Bonham in when Jimmy didn't know what drummer to get for Zep. I really think with the death of his son, and then the death of his best friend and bandmate that probably scarred him for life. I can't say I know how that feels cause I'm not in his shoes, so I can't judge.

Yeah and I feel bad for Robert Plant losing his best friend and son in a 4 year period...time to put this to rest. I have a feeling Jason understands. Who cares what the critics have ever said about Zep....

Sorry this was reply to earlier post not the nice one above this.

With the release of the DVD, people are wondering about an actual Zeppelin reunion tour.

It’s not up to me. Robert tells me, “You play great, Jason, and you’re just like your old man, but you’re not your old man, and what the four of us did was a long time ago.” If they ever did do it, I’d love to be involved. But I don’t think it’s in the cards.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/music/hes-a-tough-act-to-follow-jason-bonham-on-his-dads-led-zepplin-legacy/article5882152/

Robert is absolutely correct, end of story! Bonzo was the heartbeat of the band, as was Jimmy, Jonesy and Robert. And, the DVD and HTWWW place the exclamation point how irreplacable Bonzo was! Not that it wasn't evident in any studio album, but more evident on all live albums: bootlegs or properly mixed studio live releases.

Robert is absolutely correct, end of story! Bonzo was the heartbeat of the band, as was Jimmy, Jonesy and Robert. And, the DVD and HTWWW place the exclamation point how irreplacable Bonzo was! Not that it wasn't evident in any studio album, but more evident on all live albums: bootlegs or properly mixed studio live releases.

AGREED!

Is all of the 'reunion' shit on magazine covers for Celebration Day or is there perhaps something in the works? Cheers.

If there wasn't a Celebration Day release there wouldn't be Led Zeppelin public appearances, media duties or magazine covers.

Back catalog rereleases in 2013 will generate more of the same, but even Jimmy Page seems to accept there will be no reunion.

Judging from the way things were going from 1977 to 1980 I have to regrettably agree.

maybe, but they also could have gotten back together. especially after they cleaned up with the drugs, alcohol etc. i wonder what Bonham would have thought about Robert's solo stuff after led zeppelin.

^^ That crossed my mind too.

Would he have wanted to work with Robert if the band had broken up? Call me a 'dreamer' (or looney) but I keep thinking that in the latter days of Zeppelin, both of them might have had 'private' talks about going back to the way things were in the beginning...kinda breaking off and doing their own thing for a while.

^^ That crossed my mind too.

Would he have wanted to work with Robert if the band had broken up? Call me a 'dreamer' (or looney) but I keep thinking that in the latter days of Zeppelin, both of them might have had 'private' talks about going back to the way things were in the beginning...kinda breaking off and doing their own thing for a while.

It was Bonzo who coaxed Robert into returning to the band after nearly eighteen months (for rehearsals at Clearwell Castle in May '78).

Ultimately, they did take a "back to basics" approach for the Over Europe '80 tour. While I definitely don't believe either had intentions to leave the band following that tour, in hindsight I do think the writing was on the wall that the band had preaked as a creative force in '75

& would've struggled to move forward into the eighties. This isn't meant to be a point of contention, merely stating a personal opinion.

Archived