Jason Bonham discusses why reunion tour didn’t happen

motu

Just because the Stones are out there doing covers of their latter day selves and big league-ing events like the concert for Sandy Relief doesn't mean Zeppelin needs to follow suit. I used to be totally destroyed that my favorite band (and coincidentally, the greatest band of all time) didn't reform for a tour that those of us who were too young to witness them prior to Bonzo's passing missed. But, not anymore.

Don't villify Robert. He is right, even if Jimmy was so slow to recognize it.

The 2007 02 show might just go down in history (and I know "history" might just be the worst tag that could ever be attached to a rock and roll band) as a seminal moment in the history of popular music. It was so good that it is hard to imagine an encore of shows that could possibly live up to it's energy and raw power. When you watch that show, even with the documented imperfections, the unfiltered energy was captured as if it was 1969 all over again. It is truly transcendental.

Led Zeppelin has not been captured in a show like the one depicted on Celebration Day since it's inception in 1969. Hell, the Rolling Stones have NEVER done a show as good as that one in London, 2007.

There is nothing left to prove.

This epic band is who we are, and we are comfortable advancing into posterity as is. The life of it resides in the music.

what you describe is what Plant describes as the monster

in '77 the band was overwhelmed by the ecoutrement machinery of touring and in particular the darker elements to the point that the music was the smaller part of a gigs. By darker elements I refer to the thuggery of the security team, entourage and things out of the bands control AND the personal baggage- it just took on a life all its own and it only had one end. Tampa, Cincinnati, Oakland- these made headlines and scars personally and publicly. A great deal of the monster was kept out of the public eye and was going on 24/7.

To try and go back to that- hell no. How could anyone relate to that again. For one gig for an old friend and compatriot Ahmet Ertegan- yes.

Plant started as a pub singer in the Midlands and what I saw last weekend was a pub singer in Austin. He was in an element beaming with joy- he was using his natural voice and not that forced up high fast one he sometimes brings out.

I believe him when he says he misses John Bonham every day.

Don't think the conversations have not been had about options to work together at some point and in some fashion. It's only been five minutes since the last show...

If you look at how eager Plant was to escape Zep's shadow and Zep's assocations after Bonham's death, and if you look at how Plant was already kind of at the end of his rope Zep-wise after his son's death, I'm finally starting to believe that he'd have pulled out of the band if Bonzo had lived, with just as much intensity as he's pulled out of any attempt to reunite the band since 1980.

Couldnt be happier for him and if the songs I have heard from her new cd are anything like the complete cd it should be really good. The Band of Joy concert I saw was the most enjoyable 2 hours spent at a concert maybe ever....I must add I didnt get to see LZ in the 70's tho as I wasnt allowed to go to concerts in High School...I cant imagine what that would have been like...Thunder in an arena!

Couldnt be happier for him and if the songs I have heard from her new cd are anything like the complete cd it should be really good. The Band of Joy concert I saw was the most enjoyable 2 hours spent at a concert maybe ever....I must add I didnt get to see LZ in the 70's tho as I wasnt allowed to go to concerts in High School...I cant imagine what that would have been like...Thunder in an arena!

Still to this day I have never heard anything as loud and thunderous as when the house lights went down in Seattle, 1973. I was 16 and will never forget that feeling of excitment.....the 3+ hour show locked me in for life.

I saw Whitsnake in 1979,Coverdale was just a copy of Percy IMO..as for Jason Bonham,he is a new group that is bloody good,I think he has moved on.

Percy has done more solo albums than he did Zeppelin albums..he is happy where he is and I respect him for that

I saw Whitsnake in 1979,Coverdale was just a copy of Percy IMO..as for Jason Bonham,he is a new group that is bloody good,I think he has moved on.

Percy has done more solo albums than he did Zeppelin albums..he is happy where he is and I respect him for that

then how come i can't get the amazing feeling i get when i hear Percy sing when i listen to coverdale ? i come closer to the feeling i get with Percy when i listen to something like Echoes by Pink Floyd and that is totally different from Percy's style.

• 7 months later...

Well,well,well...I believe that if John B. could speak to Robert, JPJ, and Jimmy from the grave, he would ask them for one more tour for his son Jason. Jason needs this. And I believe they would do this out of love for him. So I hope Robert is haunted till this is done. No Quarter for Robert. tlea alxaysa seve venzor xxx.

Well,well,well...I believe that if John B. could speak to Robert, JPJ, and Jimmy from the grave, he would ask them for one more tour for his son Jason. Jason needs this. And I believe they would do this out of love for him. So I hope Robert is haunted till this is done. No Quarter for Robert. tlea alxaysa seve venzor xxx.

"Jason needs this." No, he wants this. And with respect to Jason, why should the three remaining members reform Zeppelin and go out on tour so he can prove something to himself, make his Dad proud, or whatever the reason is that you think he needs to tour with Zeppelin? surely if it were ever going to happen, all four of them would want to do it.

And be careful "necroing" old threads - I've been told off for doing that and people get upset. :ph34r:

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Led Zeppelin: Jason Bonham discusses why reunion tour didn’t happen

including Bonham interview video clip

“Robert and I spoke very long and hard about this,” Jason explained. “And there’s other reasons, and I respect him for that. He told me.”

“I’ll share one thing he said,” continued Bonham. “’It doesn’t matter how great you are on drums, Jason, I love you to bits and you play absolutely amazing. But John was the drummer in Led Zeppelin and John was part of me, Jimmy and John Paul. We shared something very, very special.’ He said ‘I struggle sometimes just thinking about trying to create some magic again. He’s not there. He was a very, very dear friend of mine that he said ‘I miss every day.’”

[ I apologize if this was posted elsewhere already ]

If I were a betting man, I would bet that John would want it to go on with his son Jason at the helm. And once again it looks like, Jason, Jim, and Jones want it, they can taste it, they know they can do it and yet once again it comes to a screeching halt. The whole thing is perverse; it is as if, they and the fans are being punished in some odd way.

I can't help but wonder how inspired Page and Jones would be if they knew they were going to be working again as a team. I'm sure it would be absolutely mesmerizing – the single greatest high ever known to man.

I agree,no one but jason could take over that spot,it still would be Bonham

"Jason needs this." No, he wants this. And with respect to Jason, why should the three remaining members reform Zeppelin and go out on tour so he can prove something to himself, make his Dad proud, or whatever the reason is that you think he needs to tour with Zeppelin? surely if it were ever going to happen, all four of them would want to do it.

And be careful "necroing" old threads - I've been told off for doing that and people get upset. :ph34r:

But if a topic is already made they send you to old posts. :slapface::lol:

But if a topic is already made they send you to old posts. :slapface::lol:

True. But It doesn't hurt to get into the habit of doing a quick search before one decides to start a new thread. I made the point that there were five Rival sons threads all talking about the same thing and recycling the same arguments and when I posted in all five to highlight this, I was accused of the heinous crime of necroing.

• 2 weeks later...

yes he was in Led Zeppelin 1968 to 1980 12 years -solo 1980 - present 33 years - do you count Honeydrippers , 2 Page/Plant & Alison Krauss as solo albums ?

Long time reader, first time poster here. There is a solution for all. One final concert, call it EXACTLY what it is. Led Zeppelin's Farewell Performance. Book Dallas Cowboys Stadium which seats over a 100,000 plus what they could put on the field. It would be the largest indoor concert ever, it would dwarf the 1977 Pontiac show. Put the concert on PPV and charge whatever. They'll rehearse a solid 2 months and then do it. It would be the biggest PPV in history, by a long ways. Led Zeppelin could make tens of millions of dollars on that one show apiece and then put it to rest. No more questions, no more wondering, and no more wishing. It will truly be done and we'll all be better knowing it.

Long time reader, first time poster here. There is a solution for all. One final concert, call it EXACTLY what it is. Led Zeppelin's Farewell Performance. Book Dallas Cowboys Stadium which seats over a 100,000 plus what they could put on the field. It would be the largest indoor concert ever, it would dwarf the 1977 Pontiac show. Put the concert on PPV and charge whatever. They'll rehearse a solid 2 months and then do it. It would be the biggest PPV in history, by a long ways. Led Zeppelin could make tens of millions of dollars on that one show apiece and then put it to rest. No more questions, no more wondering, and no more wishing. It will truly be done and we'll all be better knowing it.

I am not the "no more Led Zeppelin without John Bonham" guy. I do trully wish for them to reunion with Jason in whatever way (tour, one off, album... whatever, really). BUT. What you described here was O2. They already DID what you proposed here. Why would they do it again? Only to do it again and again later? No, mate, it is not a solution for all. Why? Cos its not a solution for THEM.

Welcome on board. Peace :).

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Led Zeppelin: Jason Bonham discusses why reunion tour didn’t happen

including Bonham interview video clip

“Robert and I spoke very long and hard about this,” Jason explained. “And there’s other reasons, and I respect him for that. He told me.”

“I’ll share one thing he said,” continued Bonham. “’It doesn’t matter how great you are on drums, Jason, I love you to bits and you play absolutely amazing. But John was the drummer in Led Zeppelin and John was part of me, Jimmy and John Paul. We shared something very, very special.’ He said ‘I struggle sometimes just thinking about trying to create some magic again. He’s not there. He was a very, very dear friend of mine that he said ‘I miss every day.’”

[ I apologize if this was posted elsewhere already ]

That's love, folks. How very sweet.

No John Bonham = No Led Zeppelin

The 02 was the closest we're ever gonna get. I even think Jimmy has finally excepted that.

The rest of us should too.

Led Zeppelin has been no more since 1980; that's plenty of time for people to have some level of acceptance.

Still, it would be cool if Plant, Page, Jones and Jason got together and created some great music but didn't call themselves Led Zeppelin.

Archived