Why In Through The Out Door is a GREAT album

- Carouselambra is so exciting, and mesmerizing. It really laid a new exciting artistic path for future Zeppelin songs and Carouselambra was a gem in the Zeppelin catalogue

- All My Love was the most heartfelt lyric and musical idea the band has done

- In The Evening is one of those all time great epics, a song for the ages

- Hot Dog clearly showed that Zeppelin could play country just as well as the blues, funk, folk, arab, and metal and still make country something that is Zeppelin

- Fool In The Rain is one of the most warm and fun songs the band has done

- I'm Gonna Crawl can leave me so emotionally dehydrated that I need a tall glass of water.

I'll also go on record that I dig the hell out of Jimmy's solo in Hot Dog. Seems I read in this forum or in some mag that it was lame effort by Page. I'll wager Bach (not Sebastion) would have eaten it up.

My only problem with ITTOD is production/mixing.

I couldn't agree more. It's the one zep album that would benefit from a complete sonic overhaul. The mix is shabby - it sounds like Jimmy is trying to hide his guitar for much of it. I know they got to use Polar studios for nothing, but the sound of the place doesn't suit the band... Bonzo's kit sound squashed (Jimmy even said on one of his 'on this days' that the sound of the studio wasn't what they were used to). One could hope that for the new remasters the multitracks could be revisited and a more sympathetic mix done...... although the chances of that happening aren't even worth considering.

I think with a different/better mix more people who don't really like the album would finally 'get it'. There are some great songs on there, just not presented in the most flattering light.

I couldn't agree more. It's the one zep album that would benefit from a complete sonic overhaul. The mix is shabby - it sounds like Jimmy is trying to hide his guitar for much of it. I know they got to use Polar studios for nothing, but the sound of the place doesn't suit the band... Bonzo's kit sound squashed (Jimmy even said on one of his 'on this days' that the sound of the studio wasn't what they were used to). One could hope that for the new remasters the multitracks could be revisited and a more sympathetic mix done...... although the chances of that happening aren't even worth considering.

I think with a different/better mix more people who don't really like the album would finally 'get it'. There are some great songs on there, just not presented in the most flattering light.

I disagree on the drum sound- maybe the mix could be improved on a overall song but the actual bed track for the drums sounds great. This is isolated drums for 'All My Love' and 'Ozone Baby'

Edited by DavidZoso

It's a strange album & one of my favorites. It has the commercial sheen of "Houses Of The Holy" along with it's tongue in cheekness where the former had "The Crunge" & "D'yer Ma'ker" the latter has "Hot Dog", songs that fans are polarized by ( I happen to love all three but I happen to have a sense of humor ). Also it's a gamechanger like LZ III where there is a shift in a more dominant sound of a particular instrument, again a polarizing aspect among fans ( LZ III & ITTOD are among my favorites where LZ II & Presence are not ). I think LZ were adventurous until the end & it's their risks that I'm most attracted to & listen to most.

I love In Through The Out Door. I discovered Zeppelin upon hearing it at my best friend's house. Carouselambra is still one of my favorite Zepp songs ever. Unlike many fans, I never felt Jimmy's guitar took a backseat to anything on this album. Jimmy is all over the place on this record. Even though there are plenty of keyboards from Jonesy, I've always felt they meshed perfectly with Jimmy's guitar and they complimented each other with the perfect blend of both. I thought it was very exciting and different then, and I still do today.

The album was named by the group to describe its recent struggles amidst the death of Robert Plants son Karac in 1977, and the taxation exile the band took from the UK. The exile resulted in the band being unable to tour on British soil for over two years, and trying to get back into the public mind was therefore like "trying to get in through the 'out' door.IIts good because it had great songs on it like

All of My Love (Written in honor of Robert Plants son Karac who died when Led Zeppelin were on thier 1977 tour)

In the Evening

Carouselambra

Fool In the Rain

all the songs are good as well as the others

Edited by ZEPFAN17

noobs on the recording deck sucked the joy and feel right out of these tracks

woulda been ok if recording cover versions of "Does Your Mother Know" and "Knowing Me, Knowing You" or "Waterloo"

still major peeved over how this LP turned out- the mix is in the way of the band and the mastering is garbage.

I disagree on the drum sound- maybe the mix could be improved on a overall song but the actual bed track for the drums sounds great. This is isolated drums for 'All My Love' and 'Ozone Baby'

Don't get me wrong - the isolated drums sound great.... and on 'In the evening' and 'fool in the rain' they're not bad in the mix, but just not as good as the isolated snippets we've all heard. Because the room they recorded in wasn't that 'live' (or reverberant, if you wish) they had to resort to using a lot of extra added reverb which just doesn't sound 'right' for the zep sound.

Which is the main issue I have with 'carouselambra'..... the whole band is thoroughly and liberally drenched in reverb... except for the keyboards which are drier than...er...a really dry thing on a hot day. It leaves them sounding totally separate from the rest of the band, and adds to the already slightly cheesy sounds that late 70's synthesisers were renowned for. Add that to Robert being totally buried and pretty much unintelligible and you have a good reason for it not being among their more popular compositions.

The state of two members (Bonham & Page) during the making of In Through The Outdoor was far from good - Bonham with his heroin & alcohol problems/Page with his heroin use - so under these circumstances, yes, In Through The Outdoor was good, though different.

Carouselambra alone is worth the purchase. I believe it's the strongest tune on the album.

In The Evening was a piece you could expect Led Zeppelin to make, as was I'm Gonna Crawl (my second favorite from this release).

Jones and Plant became very close during these sessions. Jones stated that during this time there were two distinct camps - the sober one and the alcohol/drug one. I think Jones & Plant working so close together was vital moving forward. The two gave us South Bound Suarez, Fool In The Rain, and All My Love - the latter not being liked by Jimmy Page, although he had respect for it's meaning.

As a whole, this may not have been the usual great Led Zeppelin record everyone became accustomed to, but under the circumstances, it was strong.

I admit, I've never said it before, but I love it!

I'll add to that too! Robert's fast paced singing, the funny chorus, and Pagey's great playing. All in all, a great tune. For someone who was into headbanging at the time, it was a disappointment. As time goes by, and the headbanging hurts too much, your tastes change. Today, I like all of ITTOD. Someone said it here before, "it's such a colorful album".

I think it's amazing in it's own way. For the casual Zep fan my guess is that this wouldn't have been a favorite, but for the ones that actually pay attencion to the music, they'll find out that the songs are very smart and don't lack anything. I do agree that someone butchered Bonzos drums, they sound very small compared to thos solo tracks on youtube. Maybe Jimmy will work some magic in the new releases :D

I think it's amazing in it's own way. For the casual Zep fan my guess is that this wouldn't have been a favorite, but for the ones that actually pay attencion to the music, they'll find out that the songs are very smart and don't lack anything. I do agree that someone butchered Bonzos drums, they sound very small compared to thos solo tracks on youtube. Maybe Jimmy will work some magic in the new releases :D

According to Page, they liked ABBA's Polar Studios