Why In Through The Out Door is a GREAT album

Thanks, not a bad album cover I guess but I definitely prefer In Through the Out Door. It's much more imaginative, at least to me.

No probs.

I always thought BIA looked good amongst the other album covers,very Americana which is what they were aiming at.

Aubrey "Po" Powell,partner in Hipgnosis with Storm Thorgerson..

Po: In those days album covers were very important to the person who bought them, because there wasn’t MTV, there weren’t music videos, there wasn’t the saturation of youtube or any other available source to learn about your favourite rock n roll star. So an album was very important. You’d buy an album and scour the cover while playing it, looking for clues as to what made those artists tick. We latched onto that early on, by including lyrics, by including postcards, posters and little clues. The images we designed were related with the band in mind. Led Zeppelin approached me for In Through the Out Door and I heard it and could hear it was their usual heavy rock style. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant never gave us any clue as to what they wanted, and we didn’t want that either. The one thing that they said is they don’t want anything too fucking weird because Presence, the previous cover we did for them was pretty far out with the black object. And Houses of the Holy with the children running up the rock which was all pretty science fiction in vibe … now they wanted something more back to their roots.

Po: Storm and I came up with the idea of creating the perfect honky tonk bar which was their roots. Their roots come from rhythm and blues after all. So we thought about creating almost a film set, a bar where a story would be told, with characters in the bar within that story or narrative. I went along and told the band what I wanted to do, and they thought it was a good idea. So in order to do that I needed to do some research. I first of all flew to Martinique where Jimmy Page had told me he’d seen a perfect bar. But I got there and the bar we’d been looking for was closed. So I then went on to New Orleans where there were plenty of down home funky old bars which had been used a lot by musicians, and they were still intact. I photographed the bars in every detail and came back to England and got an art director to build me the bar with all these ingredients and get the best props. He built this incredible set and this bar was viewable 360 degrees when you were inside it. We chose a bunch of different characters and we wanted them just to represent the atmosphere; there’s the guy standing there drunk with his hat on his head counting his money… the bartender who looks as though he’s been around the block (he might have been a sailor at some time)… We then told Led Zeppelin we had six characters, so why don’t we shoot six different angles on them and create six different album covers? It will be the same album but each cover will be different. So when you’re in a store the person has the choice of six different front covers. It was a phenomenally successful marketing tool for Led Zeppelin and it was the first time it was ever done.

I was on the Starship 707 with Led Zeppelin which was a quiet different experience from going on tour with Pink Floyd, where we had to stay near the squash court …so they were all different experiences.

a former room mate gave me a Led Zeppelin listening challenge that is not easy to do for me

"I know how to cure you of your itchyness about In Through the Out Door... listen to it in reverse order. Fix it guaranteed and for always. You have to play it all the way through start to finish."

Did it and I think he is correct. Enjoyed it greatly. Created a playlist of the iTunes versions and let it play. What a LP. No more itchyness about it at all.

funny, but no and heck no. It comes from a noble and honest place.

my former room mate drives from Palm Springs to Cabo and back a few times each year, on the way there he listens to the catalog non-stop from Led Zeppelin through CODA, on the way home he listens to the catalog in it's entirety in reverse track order. For him, he says it helped him gain a new appreciation for some tracks he already had the hots for and a different view of songs he really pretty much passed over. To him it makes things fresh since it goes against what he has memorized along with the likes, dislikes and indifferent. Until this past summer, he couldn't stand the guitar sounds on Misty Mountain Hop or Black Dog. Absolutely griped about them. Not anymore.

He gifted me the iTunes version of In Throught the Out Door since I initially wrote it off as a so what upon its release. It's great to have great friends, he is the one who dragged me out of the pool hall at 11:30pm one night to go see a movie called The Song Remains the Same. Thank you...

when he drives to Dallas to visit, he listens to bootlegs in the order in which we collected them when we were young bucks and didn't have families, careers and lifetime responsibilities of others counting on us.

Not going to drive across country in my GTO for a while...but I do have some easy listening music lined up for some Sunday driving around town and for those emergency trips to Sonic and Dairy Queen.

post-21997-0-92785800-1363206205.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I love the album, and I can honestly say it's in my top 3 favorite albums. It has a lot of diversity, that's true, but it has the "kick in the balls" kinda thing to it that only Zeppelin could do. Carouselambra is Zeppelin doing retro before it even began! I agree with Knebs friend, I never listen to one song off this album, whenever I pick one from it, I end up playing them all over and over again. From the beginning to the end - welcome to the last album that Zeppelin ever recorded, I think I actually said this- the best album to end a decade of partying.

Which clearly shows how ignorant the elite at the Grammy's really are - to choose the album cover Breakfast in America over the smarts and interesting idea behind the album cover for In Through The Out Door is disgusting...

In 1980 Hipgnosis were nominated for a Grammy for "Best Recording Package" for ITTOD but that award went to Mike Doud and Mick Haggerty for "Breakfast In America".

Which clearly shows how ignorant the elite at the Grammy's really are - to choose the album cover Breakfast in America over the smarts and interesting idea behind the album cover for In Through The Out Door is disgusting...

Many,if not all award ceremonies including the RnR HOF will continue to baffle the public.It's a part of life unfortunately.

In Through The Out Door contrary to most people think I believe is a great album.

For example is the more variated. We have hard rock (In The Evening), rockabilly (Hot Dog), soft (All My Love), latin (Fool In The Rain), synth rock (Carousselambra), soul/blues (I'm Gonna Crawl), ¿simple rock? (South Bound Saurez). In no other Led Zeppelin album the songs are so different in sound & style.

For me, the best is Fool In The Rain. It has the classical Led Zeppelin traces adding an unusual fun to their usual seriousness. And in this song Bonzo and Page (both a bit absent in this recording) do their best work. A pity never was played live.

In The Evening remains me in some parts the majesty of Achilles Last Stand with some oriental influences. Great song for concerts.

Led Zeppelin playing rockabilly? That's really weird, but it works. Jones piano is fantastic in Hot Dog.

All My Love shows a very clean vocal by Plant, something we are not used to. And I think is fantastic Page did not intervened in this song. It is all about Plant with a little help by Jones.

Carousselambra is quite interesting although is a bit long for my taste. Ok, Kashmir and On My Time Of Dying are also long and repetitive, but both has that lilttle something that made them special, that Carousselambra lacks of. However it showed some new paths for Led Zeppelin.

At last, for me the weakest point, South Bound Saurez. I never reached to like it a lot.

But overall, a great album.

• 4 years later...

In Through The Out Door is a very underrated album by them.

I Just bought a Vinyl copy of ITTOD.

In The Evening is so amazing and an Awesome opener

South Bound Suarez is Great 

Fool In The Rain Is Awesome

Hot Dog is Really Great and a don’t know why people hate this song so much.

Carouselambra is also a song that Most Led Zeppelin Fans seem to not like but for me this song is a Masterpiece!

All My Love is lovely and awesome

I’m Gonna Crawl is Awesome!

Led Zeppelin are my all time Favourite band and all of their albums are Masterpieces and this album is surely a Masterpiece

Edited by Miguel Torres

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2013 at 6:58 AM, Ski said:

Great Posts and reviews here....

The Best Last Album EVER....

Sorry I won't count Coda as the last.......

Yet Coda filled a Void LOL

Boy... I've never thought of it THAT way.  The greatest last album a band, ANY BAND, ever released.  Wow.  How true is that??????

29 minutes ago, LedElvis75 said:

Boy... I've never thought of it THAT way.  The greatest last album a band, ANY BAND, ever released.  Wow.  How true is that??????

Zeppelin are my favourite band but Abbey Road pisses all over ITTOD as a 'greatest last album' I have to say & that's without me really trying to think of any other examples.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

Zeppelin are my favourite band but Abbey Road pisses all over ITTOD as a 'greatest last album' I have to say & that's without me really trying to think of any other examples.

I didn't stop to think about the post too much.  You're right.  Still a great last album that gets dumped on too much by critics.  ITTOD is fantastic.

On 3/11/2013 at 1:07 PM, BUK said:

I purchased 8 of them to get the six different ones (remember they were in plain brown wrappers... I was too stupid to look for serial numbers). If you put all the albums, each on a chair encircling you, and spin on a swivel chair in the center you feel like you are in the bar. That's my memory, maybe I was stoned..... YA THINK!

LOVE THAT!!!! 

I really like ITTOD. Lots of variety. Really reflects the band's versatility. It takes true skill and musicianship to continue to evolve. IF Bonham hadn't died AND the band stayed together, they would have sounded very different in the '80's than they did in '68 or '74.Think about it... did you have the same hairstyle or wardrobe in 1982 versus 1972?  

Gotta say, out of Led Zeppelin's entire catalog the one and only song that I don't like is "Tea for One". Every other song I enjoy listening to. 

46 minutes ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

Gotta say, out of Led Zeppelin's entire catalog the one and only song that I don't like is "Tea for One". Every other song I enjoy listening to. 

That's a mad choice, it's one of my favourite songs by any band.

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Abbey Road is indeed a masterpiece and a great way to close a career. Thank god too because IMO Let It Be was pretty much a turd as was 50% of the White Album. Shit, whenever anyone says Zeppelin were self-indulgent I always whip out the White Album. At least Zeppelin never became self-indulgent in the studio but the Beatles and their experimental studio babble were just too much at times. Why Don't We Do It in the Road...um, no thanks.

So I have to agree, Abbey Road is possibly the best last album ever. I still love me ITTOD super long time though.

7 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Abbey Road is indeed a masterpiece and a great way to close a career. Thank god too because IMO Let It Be was pretty much a turd as was 50% of the White Album. Shit, whenever anyone says Zeppelin were self-indulgent I always whip out the White Album. At least Zeppelin never became self-indulgent in the studio but the Beatles and their experimental studio babble were just too much at times. Why Don't We Do It in the Road...um, no thanks.

So I have to agree, Abbey Road is possibly the best last album ever. I still love me ITTOD super long time though.

I have to say I disagree with a fair bit of that but probably best kept for a Beatles thread somewhere.

I want to love ITTOD but it's too patchy for me, I bought the remastered CD with the bonus disc & I think I played them both once.

Other than Fool in the Rain, which is genius, I can take or leave it, which is mental considering how much I love all their other LPs.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I have to say I disagree with a fair bit of that but probably best kept for a Beatles thread somewhere.

I want to love ITTOD but it's too patchy for me, I bought the remastered CD with the bonus disc & I think I played them both once.

Other than Fool in the Rain, which is genius, I can take or leave it, which is mental considering how much I love all their other LPs.

Believe me, I know I am in the super-minority with my assessment of the White Album as most consider it brilliant beginning to end. I know most would either pimp slap me or walk away in disgust with my assessment. BLASPHEMY! The ghost of Lennon & Harrison will shit in my Cheereos forevermore.

It's all good, we all like what we like and that is what makes the world great, variety. I hate the Bad Brains yet every Grunge band from the 90's praises them as the 2nd coming and the most influential band.

13 hours ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

LOVE THAT!!!! 

I really like ITTOD. Lots of variety. Really reflects the band's versatility. It takes true skill and musicianship to continue to evolve. IF Bonham hadn't died AND the band stayed together, they would have sounded very different in the '80's than they did in '68 or '74.Think about it... did you have the same hairstyle or wardrobe in 1982 versus 1972?  

No judgement on my part, just a point I always remember, that of all the quotes I have heard probably describes Zeppelin the most accurately, it was by Prince of all people and he suggested to the effect, I paraphrase, "look at Led Zeppelin, every song of theirs made you feel different."  That's not just good music, that great musicianship and it's keenly true of the band and a song like Tea For One.

So, back to my roundabout defense of Tea For One, a song I didn't particularly like either (or that entire album truth be told); it's a song you have to almost feel depressed to listen to.  Maybe not that far gone, but, you have to almost act out the lyrics, lie on the bed looking at a clock in the hotel room and wish you were 1000 miles away back with the ones you love.  Pages work on the song is great too, a top 5 solo in my opinion.

Anyways, maybe that does something for how you see it, maybe not.  Many people like Hot Dog for instance, and I've never liked the song, though I might sing it if drunk and wanted to present a parody of some hillbilly ho-down somewhere. :) I'm sure many don't view it that way, but I always have. As you said, to each their own.

Per the thread, when I first listened to LZ I actually enjoyed this album a great deal, liked their "newer" stuff, as time went on I realized I was wrong about the guitar.

Edited by Canadianzepper

12 hours ago, Mook said:

Give In The Evening Alternate mix another listen. Jones bass is much clearer in the mix and it's just incredible how great he plays on that cut. You can really hear the influence of Jamerson and Dunn  Also, I've never been keen on Hot Dog but Bonzos drums on the alternate mix are up front which makes for fun listening. 

4 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Give In The Evening Alternate mix another listen. Jones bass is much clearer in the mix and it's just incredible how great he plays on that cut. You can really hear the influence of Jamerson and Dunn  Also, I've never been keen on Hot Dog but Bonzos drums on the alternate mix are up front which makes for fun listening. 

Yeah, I'll give it a whirl again, sometimes it helps to have someone point out a couple of things I may have missed.