Strawberry Jam

Amstel

I've owned this for years. It's on the CABALA boxset. The info says it's recorded during a soundcheck in Chicago 73', but anyone who knows their bootlegs will know Plant's voice was shot during their stay in Chicago 73'.

That's why I'm pretty sure this rehearsal is from the L.A Forum 1972. In Dave and Simon's Concert File, the Rehearsal of this show is documented

In that book they make mention that it's "possibly from the afternoon prior to the May 4 show" in Atlanta, GA. - I don't believe that.

I've read somewhere else that it could have taken place at the Civic Center - St. Paul, MN - July 9, 1973

Who knows...

From what I've read elsewhere, the evidence points to the soundcheck being from July 7, 1973. It's definitely not from 1972, and definitely not from 1975, since the Physical Graffiti riffs they play at the soundcheck aren't finished at all. If it was 1975, they would've been playing the riffs and parts of Wanton Song properly, instead of as a working riff with no structure.

What proves that the soundcheck is from 1973 is that the riff that Page plays in the "Strawberry Jam" track (a title that the bootleg label made up) was performed note for note during the Whole Lotta Love medleys in Chicago 1973. So, no reason not to connect the two. Sure, Plant's voice is in terrible shape at those shows, but who knows if he may have had a little more gas in the tank earlier in the day at the soundcheck? Maybe it was the soundcheck itself that ended up killing what little vocals he had left for the day.

Archived