Patty Griffin & Her Driver

motu

a kind of update (hoping for some video stuff to emerge ...):

The Continental Club & Gallery, Austin Texas

Saturday, December 15, 2012 - Patty Griffin & Her Driver, Benefiting Michael Fracasso at 8pm, Doors open at 7:30pm. 21+ only!

$43 advance ticket (includes $3 service charge)

THIS SHOW IS SOLD OUT!!

Sunday, December 16, 2012 - Patty Griffin & Her Driver, Benefiting HAAM at 7:30pm, Doors open at 7pm. 21+ only!

$43 advance ticket (includes $3 service charge)

THIS SHOW IS SOLD OUT!!

In addition to the two shows both selling out in under 10 minutes, there was an auction on ebay for two tickets to the second show with all the money going to the HAAM foundation. HAAM provides health care for musicians in the area unable to afford it otherwise. The auction winning bid was for $1275.00. Dony Wynn, Glen Fukunaga and David Pulkingham will be playing with them.

Austin - Joy Ride

"Patty Griffin’s Saturday night show at the Continental Club, billed as “Patty Griffin and Her Driver,” reportedly sold out in 15 minutes."

more here

"Chances are that some tickets will be peddled out front for a pretty penny. If not, the Continental’s doors should stay open long enough for glimpses."

happen to see patti perform out on long island in November. Just her and her guitar. For my money the best female singer/songwriter in America. Amazingly gifted performer. Robert has fallen for this women completely.

Set List:

"Flaming Red"

"Chief"

"House Of Gold"

"Love Throw A Line"

"Poor Man’s House"

"I’m Gonna Miss You When You’re Gone" (speculative – not yet released)

"No Bad News"

enter Robert Plant

"Ohio"

"In The Mood"

"Black Country Woman"

"Cold As It Gets"

"What Is And What Should Never Be"

"Tangerine"

"Rich Woman"

"Going To California"

"Angel Dance"

"Black Dog"

found here

more clips

Black Country Woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvPeW4eSeEk

Did you get to go to the show?

yes indeed- stage right about 11th deep

on the drive back to Dallas the comments in the car kept coming back to "Robert seems to be in such a great place for himself right now" and "damn he is the best freaking club singer ever" and "why the heck did Plant not play harmonica on Black Dog all these years !!!!"

The quality of his voice is stellar and it shows that he is taking care of it. His range and timbre are on par or better as O2. Main thing- Plant was having a blast and really, really wanted to be there.

The eye contact between Plant and Patty was subtle and she seemed on the look out for anything can happen at any moment- she was tight, he was loose.

yes indeed- stage right about 11th deep

on the drive back to Dallas the comments in the car kept coming back to "Robert seems to be in such a great place for himself right now" and "damn he is the best freaking club singer ever" and "why the heck did Plant not play harmonica on Black Dog all these years !!!!"

The quality of his voice is stellar and it shows that he is taking care of it. His range and timbre are on par or better as O2. Main thing- Plant was having a blast and really, really wanted to be there.

The eye contact between Plant and Patty was subtle and she seemed on the look out for anything can happen at any moment- she was tight, he was loose.

That's awesome. I don't blame her a bit for watching him with the way he changes things on a dime. Sounds like tonight went basically the same as last night except instead of Tangerine and Black Country Woman they did Song To the Siren and Thank You. Also heard Pamela Des Barres was in the audience tonight. Glad they were able to put on two successful shows for such good causes.

several of the Austin artsy royalty was in attendance- can't name them just recognized faces and felt like I should be able to know their names. The Continental Club and Gallery is a welcoming venue.

it felt like a club night from back in college except Patty was sooooooooo dialed in musically and vocally- the amount of gear on stage was nuts. For me the guy played stand-up bass did a superb job laying in with the drummer who was pretty much left to his own sometimes, particularly in song transitions or introductions- Plant improvised in and out some and it had such a nice spark to it.

I appreciate Patty's music and songwriting much more now. She is a force and I think she holds back a little- more there than she lets on. In a few spots she looked like she was giving Plant "the eye" the bring it.

several of the Austin artsy royalty was in attendance- can't name them just recognized faces and felt like I should be able to know their names. The Continental Club and Gallery is a welcoming venue.

it felt like a club night from back in college except Patty was sooooooooo dialed in musically and vocally- the amount of gear on stage was nuts. For me the guy played stand-up bass did a superb job laying in with the drummer who was pretty much left to his own sometimes, particularly in song transitions or introductions- Plant improvised in and out some and it had such a nice spark to it.

I appreciate Patty's music and songwriting much more now. She is a force and I think she holds back a little- more there than she lets on. In a few spots she looked like she was giving Plant "the eye" the bring it.

I remember getting the same impression when they were in Band of Joy and would do Gallow's Pole. At that end part you could see in her eyes she was really wanting to just let go and always just held back a little. You could see Robert encouraging her to go for it too but I think there's just that thing, whether its insecurity or whatever, that kept her from just going to town. I did see a few videos, like in Boston and one of the New York shows where she just went for it at the end and seemed to stun herself as much as any of them lol. At the same time, I also feel that she was well aware of the fact her job was to highlight Robert's vocals and probably held back some for that reason as well.

Its great you got to go to the first show. It's really nice to have an insiders perspective :)

I've heard that they raised over $25,000 for HAAM last night which is really great. It's nice to see artists of the caliber going out there and putting on such an amazing show and all of the behind the scenes people donating their time and energy where every penny is guaranteed to go to the cause that the people paid to support. Good for everyone involved.

odd - no Patty solo clips from these shows so far ...

two "let there be (more) light" clips from the first show:

Several people at the show have posted more videos on privacy settings and there are also several videos posted to facebook which I don't know how to share from but they're there if you search them. Here's one of the closest videos I've found from the two nights and the lighting isn't horrible. Unfortunately the club doesn't really have lighting conducive to cell phone video taking.

• 3 months later...

Archived