Robert punches Bonzo in the face

BC Drone

I think this is from the Led Zeppelin biography by Ritchie Yorke .. I know I read it somewhere.

Peter Grant punched all of them out in Japan.. except Jimmy... The band threw a bowl of stale sake into his train compartment thinking it was Jimmy's bunk.. He came roaring out and went after all of them.

Bonzo punched Robert in the mouth because Robert owed gas money from years before.

I never heard of Robert punching Bonzo though.

Hahaha....ah the road! :black_eye:

Jones too! That picture of them getting off the plane in Hawaii, Jones' nose is all swollen, can't remember the details, but somebody punched him for sure

Since I first saw that photo, I've wondered about it. Not a personal favorite.

In fact that did happen, Robert punched Jimmy in the Page/Plant days for being too late/too drunk.

As far as I remember that was during the 1998 tour.

Robert delivered an argument ending hard slap to Jimmy - for drunkeness - and it occured backstage at the Barton Coliseum in Little Rock, Arkansas on March 17, 1995. As I recall there was no end-of-show hug that night and for a few shows beyond, but other than that it seems all's fair in love and touring.

Robert delivered an argument ending hard slap to Jimmy - for drunkeness - and it occured backstage at the Barton Coliseum in Little Rock, Arkansas on March 17, 1995. As I recall there was no end-of-show hug that night and for a few shows beyond, but other than that it seems all's fair in love and touring.

Jimmy was drunk at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction -1995-there is one moment where they are backstage and he says something to Robert Plant and Robert leans over and kisses him on the forehead.(like Bless you even though you are sloshed) haha

Jimmy was drunk at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction -1995-there is one moment where they are backstage and he says something to Robert Plant and Robert leans over and kisses him on the forehead.(like Bless you even though you are sloshed) haha

Oh, yes that's right. See vidclip from 0:00-0:20:

I'd never seen that backstage part before. Man, Page seems REALLY drunk!

There was an interview with Paul Rodgers when he was in The Firm on the set of the video "Satisfaction guaranteed". He was very hammered and Paul was visibly annoyed.

Check out this one also:

Hah! Did anyone see him tap Robert's head and the look Robert gave him? Oh dear.

I think the camera angle might be deceiving. I think he just got close with one of his hands up in the air after a riff. But Robert did look at him, "what was that?"

I love the "Lost already" and laugh at .46.

There was an interview with Paul Rodgers when he was in The Firm on the set of the video "Satisfaction guaranteed". He was very hammered and Paul was visibly annoyed.

Check out this one also:

Yeah, I've seen that video before. I haven't seen the inteview with Paul Rodgers, but you can tell he's pretty wasted when you watch the Satisfaction Guaranteed music video.

More drunk Jimmy:

"Does anybody remember laughter?" at 4:37. :)

Can you wrap your head around that? I mean, slapping Jimmy Page in the face... wow...

I think it's possible that these things happened, but also suspect since they came from Richard Cole's recollections.

As for Bonham punching Plant, they were childhood friends after all. Lots of friendships have those moments.

Also, what unfortunately tends to get glossed over is that Bonham wasn't always a particularly nice person. It gets dramatized/romanticized as him turning into "the beast", or just being some rowdy kid who liked fast cars, but the reality is that he was drunk/drugged out a lot of the time in the later years, cheating on his wife regularly, and getting into physical confrontations with all sorts of people. Remember that story about Bonham nearly assaulting a flight attendant? Rock and roll lifestyle, road fever...I guess. If we're talking about things like this actually happening, sure why not. Kind of a bizarre topic to think about in any case. They were just people, after all. Plenty of people get in fights.

As for why nobody beat up Page, it's pretty simple, ain't it? He was their boss back then. Including Grant's. He was the star, he put the band together, he signed the band's record contract, it was his publishing company, he paid for the first album, he produced all of the material. He was the band's bread and butter, and you don't mess with that. Ever wonder why he had the sole spotlight onstage, front and center, during the 75 and 77 tours?

Funny that out of all of the people involved, it's actually Grant who was supposedly much nicer than his advertised persona would lead people to believe. Oakland 1977 aside, of course.

According to Wikipedia Page about the 1971 tour of Japan (http://en.wikipedia....anese_Tour_1971) it says that...

- "Robert allegedly punched drummer John Bonham before one of the shows"

- "One bloody amazing one happened in Japan when Robert came off stage with a split lip. It was over some dispute over some money from some tour. He still owed Bonzo some petrol money for 70 quid or something, but that's how it was!"

Anyone know if these events really happened, and if so do you know more about it?

Hey, they are rock stars after all, drinking and debauchery was part of the Zep package. It adds to Zeppelin's charm. Jimmy is really drunk in that acoustic video above, during the interview portion, he doesn't give a fuck! Funny shit, still played good though. I do remember the nightmare in 1988 of watching my favorite guitarist fumble though Heartbreaker at the 1988 Atlantic 40th on live TV, he was drunk but played really unusually bad, his tone was weak too. Not the pro we knew and loved from the TSRTS. But his playing got great again shortly after, on the Outrider tour forward to now. He seems more sober these days, but who really knows. I know Jones was into weed at some point.

Hey, they are rock stars after all, drinking and debauchery was part of the Zep package. It adds to Zeppelin's charm. Jimmy is really drunk in that acoustic video above, during the interview portion, he doesn't give a fuck! Funny shit, still played good though. I do remember the nightmare in 1988 of watching my favorite guitarist fumble though Heartbreaker at the 1988 Atlantic 40th on live TV, he was drunk but played really unusually bad, his tone was weak too. Not the pro we knew and loved from the TSRTS. But his playing got great again shortly after, on the Outrider tour forward to now. He seems more sober these days, but who really knows. I know Jones was into weed at some point.

Look at that video again. Page breaks a string just before getting into the solo. As for the tone, there's no excuse really.

I think it's possible that these things happened, but also suspect since they came from Richard Cole's recollections.

As for Bonham punching Plant, they were childhood friends after all. Lots of friendships have those moments.

Also, what unfortunately tends to get glossed over is that Bonham wasn't always a particularly nice person. It gets dramatized/romanticized as him turning into "the beast", or just being some rowdy kid who liked fast cars, but the reality is that he was drunk/drugged out a lot of the time in the later years, cheating on his wife regularly, and getting into physical confrontations with all sorts of people. Remember that story about Bonham nearly assaulting a flight attendant? Rock and roll lifestyle, road fever...I guess. If we're talking about things like this actually happening, sure why not. Kind of a bizarre topic to think about in any case. They were just people, after all. Plenty of people get in fights.

As for why nobody beat up Page, it's pretty simple, ain't it? He was their boss back then. Including Grant's. He was the star, he put the band together, he signed the band's record contract, it was his publishing company, he paid for the first album, he produced all of the material. He was the band's bread and butter, and you don't mess with that. Ever wonder why he had the sole spotlight onstage, front and center, during the 75 and 77 tours?

Funny that out of all of the people involved, it's actually Grant who was supposedly much nicer than his advertised persona would lead people to believe. Oakland 1977 aside, of course.

I met both Bonham and Grant and they were both absolutely charming.

Archived