Robert punches Bonzo in the face

BC Drone

All of them cheated on their wives. It would be silly to expect from them not to. Jones,Page...same goes for all the Zeppelin team.

Page and Plant have always been not too comfy talking about the whole craziness on road. Jones has been open about it-drugs,sex and the whole circus..

Robert delivered an argument ending hard slap to Jimmy - for drunkeness - and it occured backstage at the Barton Coliseum in Little Rock, Arkansas on March 17, 1995. As I recall there was no end-of-show hug that night and for a few shows beyond, but other than that it seems all's fair in love and touring.

I am curious. How has this information filtered out?

I met both Bonham and Grant and they were both absolutely charming.

Thousands of people met Bonham and Grant and quite a few of them will have found them to be charming but thats not really the point is it, anyone can be charming when they have to

Thousands of people met Bonham and Grant and quite a few of them will have found them to be charming but thats not really the point is it, anyone can be charming when they have to

I would expect hundreds of thousands of people actually met them over their lifetiimes, but that's not really the point is it? And when I met them, they didn't have to be charming at all.

I stand by my post.

And I back you up 100%.

It's hard to give any "visible" evidence for this Hecube but, if it helps, this was a very hot topic among the crew and therefore in the music business at the time. It was a tale being repeated by many, for what that's worth to many here.

"Does anybody remember laughter?" at 4:37. :)

Thankfully Clapton and Beck bailed him out. That was awful. Makes me wonder if he cleaned up certain vices after the ARMS shows and not before as some authors have claimed.

Funny though, look at the change in Page over the following months. Watch his performance a few months later with the Firm at the Hammersmith Odeon (?) and the Firm. Some of Jimmy's best post-Zep playing I think.

Thankfully Clapton and Beck bailed him out. That was awful. Makes me wonder if he cleaned up certain vices after the ARMS shows and not before as some authors have claimed.

Well we know he was hitting the booze pretty hard up unil the mid 90's and was a massive chain smoker. But as for his relationship with "Charlie" and "Henry", I don't know when he might have ended the relationship. I would like to think that he stopped using heroin around the time of the ARMS shows as he claims but it is so common for addicts to relapse on that shit since it is such a tough drug to stop taking that quitting cold turkey seems impossible. Who knows...

Well we know he was hitting the booze pretty hard up unil the mid 90's and was a massive chain smoker. But as for his relationship with "Charlie" and "Henry", I don't know when he might have ended the relationship. I would like to think that he stopped using heroin around the time of the ARMS shows as he claims but it is so common for addicts to relapse on that shit since it is such a tough drug to stop taking that quitting cold turkey seems impossible. Who knows...

According to Lori Maddox - as told to author Stephen Davis - when the ARMS tour hit Los Angeles in December 1983 she & Jimmy were reunited at the Rainbow Bar & Grill on the Sunset Strip and afterward had a long talk at his hotel, during which he confided he was off drugs and, if I recall correctly, told her he kicked his heroin habit in six days. However, we know for certain that nearly 10 months later to the day he was cited for cocaine possession.

Edited to add: Some dispute the conversation with Maddox ever took place, as well as Davis' assertion that Page seldom left his hotel room during the December 1983 ARMS tour.

In the news clipping above, it says "nobody was speaking to Jimmy, not even everybody's pal, Pete Townshend." Were the other members of the ARMS tour not on good terms with Jimmy?

I thought Pete never liked Jimmy, or Zeppelin for that matter?

• 1 month later...

I've been listening to Mick Wall's ''When Giants walked the Earth'' audiobook lately.This episode is mentioned there and he claims that it wasn't about money. They had just finished their first gig's (Tokyo 1971.09.23) set and were discussing what to do for encores in backstage. Robert said he couldn't do any more due to his voice to which Bonzo (most likely drunk) replied something like: ''You're no good anyway.'' After that it was actually Robert who punched Bonham.

Another similar story regarding the 1973 US tour is that there was a time when the two lads from Black Country were not getting along too well. After one Moby Dick Robert came to Bonzo and gave him a banana in a taunting manner. Bonzo's fist just couldn't express the gratitude.

• 6 years later...
On 12/11/2012 at 10:42 PM, april_lynn said:

Ohmigod I LOVE drunk Jimmy! Thanks for posting that and for clearing up the Jimmy/Robert incident!

The blues they do at the four minute mark until the end of the video is excellent! I don't recall seeing them play that that night, and I watched it. Great blues. Plant sounded awesome. The guitar players didn't step on each other's toes too much. Great solo from Jimmy.

Archived